Lyra pronunciation?

See the results of this poll: How do you pronounce Lyra?

Respondents: 84 (This poll is closed)

• Lee-ra or Leer-a : 25 (30%)
  • Lie-ra: 59 (70%)

I pronounce it LIE-ra and feel like this is the “better” pronunciation.

Instinctually, LIE-ra but I recently heard it as [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-ra and I don’t hate it. I do still prefer LIE-ra though.

I say LIE-ruh myself, which I do think I prefer, but I don’t mind the other pronunciation. [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] is lovely, by the way.

I like LIE-ruh more but I wouldn’t be shocked either way. I’d probably say “LIE-ruh? LEER-uh?” if I read if off a sheet of paper because I’d be anticipating both equally.

I didn’t vote because to me it’s either. I used to always say Lie-rah but then I babysat a girl who pronounces it lee-rah. It’s pretty both ways but [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-rah is softer and more humble to me while Lie-rah is louder and more theatrical.

At first glance I would say “Leera” but I prefer the “Lie-ra” pronunciation:)

I’ve only ever heard it as Lie-ra

I’ve also only ever heard it pronounced Lye-rah, at least [name_m]IRL[/name_m]. To me it’s pronounced the same way as the musical instrument the lyre, except w/an -ah sound on the end instead of -er.

Definitely would pronounce it lie-ra, which is lovely

I’m surprised how many people have voted LEER-a/[name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ra, and surprised how people think name can go either way. I don’t care for LIE-ra, but love [name_u]LEE[/name_u]-ra & name has just been upped in my list.

I would pronounce [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] as Lie-ra. If you like [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ra, you can spell it Lira. I think both options are extremely beautiful!

This.

I pronounce it Leer-uh (specifically with the “r” in the first, not second syllable), which I think is softer and prettier, more unassuming. I find Lie-ruh difficult to say and I don’t think it flows well (For the record, I also don’t think [name_u]Lee[/name_u]-ra flows well. I feel this way about most names that have a middle syllable starting with an “r”).

The mother of the main character in [name_m]Rogue[/name_m] One is [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] pronounced Leer-uh.

Lie-ra, like [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] Belacqua from The [name_u]Golden[/name_u] Compass.

I actually used this name for a character in my book. In my head and the way that I pronounce it is Leer-uh. I wouldn’t think to use Lie-ruh. I don’t hate it, but Leer-uh is how I pronounce it.

I pronounce it Leer-ah.

Lie-ra all the way. The other way just sounds wrong to me. I agree for that pronunciation it should be Lira. Plus I know a baby whose name is [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] pronounced Lie-ra.