Mabel Mabel Mabel....Mabel

I [name]LOVE[/name] this name with a passion… although, is it just me or is it becomming increasingly popular. I know that you should just choose a name that you love and popularity should not matter, but I hate the thought of lots of little Mabels at school and the whole [name]Mabel[/name] A, [name]Mabel[/name] B etc… What does everyone else think? [name]Do[/name] they have this fear with their favourite names?

xxx

I think [name]Mabel[/name] might be becoming more popular than it was a few years ago, but thats not really saying much. It was so uncommon that a rise in popularity is probably not going to cause your daughter to have to be [name]Mabel[/name] A or [name]Mabel[/name] B in school. Of course, regardless of how uncommon a name is, its possible that someone else in the same school district picked the same very uncommon name for their child. In which case, I say go by two different nicknames (ie [name]Mae[/name] and [name]Belle[/name]). I would only worry if the name was in the top 100 (or maybe top 200) and rising, personally. Good luck and I think [name]Mabel[/name] is a beautiful name.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Mabel[/name], too! [name]Love[/name] it! Yes, I, too, worry about names becoming popular (girls’ names, at least, not so much the boys’ names), and when I think about it, I see that no name is really 100% safe. All it takes is one popular celebrity to use a great name, and then… BOOM! There’s a popularity explosion!

That said, while certain names have a trendier/more mainstream feel ([name]Ava[/name] or [name]Isabella[/name]) and are destined to become overused once they enter people’s consciousness ([name]Isla[/name]), some names will always feel a bit old fashioned, clunky, or musty in feel or sound, which will protect them from becoming the next Avas or Isabellas.

In my opinion, [name]Mabel[/name] is in the second category, along with other names I love like [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Louisa[/name], [name]Rose[/name] (as a first name), etc., and I just can’t see them catching on like, say, [name]Ava[/name] did.

[name]Hazel[/name] has gotten more popular, but it’s still in the mid-300’s in the U.S., and because it doesn’t have the popular -a ending or light feel of an [name]Ava[/name], I highly doubt it will become too overused. ([name]Just[/name] my opinion, of course!)

Best wishes, Dinks! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Mabel[/name]. My grandmother had a neighbor named [name]Mabel[/name], so my only association with it is the oldest generation. But that doesn’t bother me at all.

Does anyone else remember the characters’ family’s reaction when “Mad About You” named their daughter [name]Mabel[/name]? I don’t think it would be like that today.

I still can’t make myself like [name]Mabel[/name], but I think in about a year I probably will. When it splits into [name]Mae[/name] and [name]Belle[/name] I love it, and it has the same feel as [name]Maisie[/name] and similar which I love. So I think it’s one that will grow on me and stop sounding so fusty, and that’ll be the case with a lot of other people. That being said, if you’re having a [name]Mabel[/name] now, I think you have a good few years before it gets much more popular and even then I agree it’ll never get above a certain peak. I just don’t see [name]Mabel[/name] in the Top 10. If you love it, go for it!

I think it sometimes feels like a name is increasing in popularity because us nameberry folks start chatting about it on a regular basis. I just looked [name]Mabel[/name] up on the social security site and its not even in the top 1000…I think you’re safe (for now) :slight_smile:

I am in shock that [name]Mabel[/name] is coming up the popularity charts. I thought it was as outdated as you can get.

I think [name]Dorcas[/name] is :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I always loved that they named her [name]Mabel[/name] on the show, because “Mothers Always Bring Extra [name]Love[/name]”

I love the name. I agree with others that it will continue to rise, and it wouldn’t have the same shock value that it would have in the Mad About You, days. It will get more popular, but I don’t think ever to where you’d have multiples in one classroom, type of thing.