Made up name

In general I’m not usually fond of made up names but I heard the name “Emra” on a tv show (supergirl lol) and really liked it. I searched for any name meanings online but looks like the writers made the name up themselves. To me Emra sounds classic yet kind of whimsical and unique but not strange. What do you all think?

I love this name. I don’t know what show it’s from or whatever but it’s really pretty.

I’d preferably use it as a middle name but it would look cute as a first name with a longer middle or last name as well.

Emra [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] or Emra [name_m]Caden[/name_m] look cute.

I like it.

Something girly and on the longer side would fit well

Emra [name_f]Calliope[/name_f]
Emra [name_f]Delphine[/name_f]
Emra [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f]
Emra [name_f]Primrose[/name_f]
Emra [name_u]Abilene[/name_u]
Emra [name_f]Odette[/name_f]
Emra [name_f]Caterine[/name_f]
Emra [name_f]Rhiannon[/name_f]

[name_m]Ty[/name_m]! I like Emra [name_f]Seraphine[/name_f] a lot! Also Emra [name_f]Sabine[/name_f] (2 syllable surname) and Emra [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] (honor my sister)

It could probably work on it’s own, but I imagine there would be a lot of mistaking it for [name_f]Emma[/name_f].

I don’t think Emra is made-up. It appears to be a legitimate given name in Albania.

I like it a lot. Plain [name_f]Emma[/name_f] & [name_f]Emily[/name_f] are so over-used. Emra sounds both cute & unique!

Emra [name_u]Larkin[/name_u]
Emra Lumen
Emra [name_f]Avigail[/name_f]
Emra [name_u]Waverly[/name_u]
Emra [name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f]
Emra [name_f]Suzanne[/name_f]

I actually like Emra even though I keep reading it as [name_f]Erma[/name_f] by mistake. i think it would fit in well with the emma’s and emily’s

My dad has a student by the name of Emera (pronounced like Emra), and she is well into her late twenties, early thirties, so it must be an established name in some way, and not just from Supergirl. I always thought it was a pretty name. I’d say if you love it, go for it. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it was completely made up, there are plenty of names, both made up and otherwise, that are way more out there.

Edit: I looked it up, the spelling Emera is a legitimate name, it’s supposedly the Latin diminutive of Emily.

I agree that it would probably get mistaken for [name_f]Emma[/name_f] a lot. :frowning: There’s [name_f]Esma[/name_f], which feels pretty similar to me, which is a fairly popular (in Turkey!) Turkish name, which I think is much less likely to get confused for something else? Emra almost sounds like someone tried to make a feminine form of [name_m]Emrys[/name_m]. :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the suggestion of Emra [name_f]Sabine[/name_f] a lot, though!

I really like Emra, I think it sounds lovely!!

I’ve never heard it before, but I like Emra! It doesn’t sound made up, and reminds me of [name_f]Emma[/name_f], [name_u]Ember[/name_u], [name_m]Emrys[/name_m], and [name_f]Mara[/name_f].

I wouldn’t worry too much about confusion with [name_f]Emma[/name_f]; it is familiar enough yet unique enough that people will like it.

Thanks everyone for the responses! And thank you @ashthedreamer I reallyyy love the suggestion of [name_f]Esma[/name_f]! I’ve always wanted to love [name_f]Esme[/name_f] but something just didn’t sound right for some reason. I love [name_f]Esma[/name_f] and has never heard of it till you suggested it- thank you!!

It’s pretty!!