Madeleine or Madeline ?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] Berries,

[name_f]My[/name_f] [name_m]SIL[/name_m] is named " Madi"[name_f]Madalyn[/name_f] Anyway she doesn’t like me at all but I love the names [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], but I don’t know if it will get confusing if I used the name. I’d have to come up with a new nickname other then maddie. We have a not overly common not totally out there last name and we are looking for middle suggestions if you have any.

My only thought for Madeline/ Madeleine for a middle would be Frances or Sarah

[name_f]My[/name_f] questions are:

1. [name_f]Do[/name_f] I use [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] or [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] ?
  2. [name_m]How[/name_m] would you pronounce both names ( I know how to pronounce them just wanna get an idea of how other people would say them)
  3. Could I use it without it being confusing? I see [name_f]Madalyn[/name_f] as a completely different name.
  4. Based on those two names what nickname would you use instead of maddie ?

[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] is easier to spell and would less luckily be misspelled, but visually I prefer [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]. [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] is the English spelling and [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is [name_m]French[/name_m].

I pronounce it MA-dah-lin. If I were in [name_f]France[/name_f] and met a [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] there, I’d assume it Mahd-LEHN.

To be honest, I see [name_f]Madalyn[/name_f] as a variation of [name_f]Madeline[/name_f], but I don’t think it’d be weird for you to use it, especially if you’re going to use a different nickname. Some might assume you named your baby that to honor your [name_m]SIL[/name_m].

Nickname suggestions:

[name_f]Adie[/name_f]/[name_f]Addie[/name_f]
[name_f]Lin[/name_f]/[name_f]Lina[/name_f]/[name_f]Lena[/name_f]
[name_f]Elle[/name_f]/[name_f]Ellie[/name_f]

[name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] always get me so confused. A lot of people tend to use [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] and give it the sound of “[name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]” when all I can think of is the book series where it’s definitely pronounce “Mad-eh-line” I would probably be prone to pronounce [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] in the same way. It’s just one of those things where you have to ask would you be ok if someone accidentally pronounced her name differently from what you originally intended it to be. As far as nicknames go the only other thing I can think of besides [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] or Madi is maybe [name_m]Mads[/name_m]?

Thanks ladies so far you’ve been so much help. When i see the names I think :[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is pronounced (Mad-a-leen) and [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] (Mad-a-line) like the books and television series :slight_smile: all other variations like [name_f]Madalyn[/name_f],[name_f]Madelyn[/name_f], etc I pronounce them as they look because they are phonetic spellings of how the parents wanted it said. I don’t think I would mind the odd mispronounciation of her name cos that gives you the opportunity to correct them nicely of course. As for nicknames I really like [name_f]Addie[/name_f], I’m not so worried about people callings her maddie when she’s older or in a different setting away from my [name_m]SIL[/name_m] cos there won’t be confusion. Hopefully we can insist her name is just [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] but people love to nickname and I want one that’s not [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] just incase. It’s really a shame cos I like the nickname [name_f]Maddie[/name_f] :slight_smile:

[name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is my preference. This [name_m]French[/name_m] version just looks softer and more elegant to me. I pronounce them differently: [name_f]Madeline[/name_f] is “line” and [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] is “lehn”. [name_m]Both[/name_m] spellings are more authentic than the modern inventions of [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f] and [name_f]Madalyn[/name_f]. I guess you could use [name_f]Nell[/name_f], [name_f]Elle[/name_f] or [name_u]Laine[/name_u] as nickname options instead of [name_f]Maddie[/name_f].