Madeline spelling, pronunciation, and middle name

We only like [name]Madeline[/name] spelled [name]Madeline[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name] but we are going for the -lynn ending sound. We definitely don’t like it spelled with a y. Which one of these two would best be pronounced Mad eh lin or lyn?

I also am leaning towards the initials MJ to honor a family member. The family name is [name]Josephine[/name].

What do you think of [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]? Is it too long? Our last name is short- only 6 letters.

I also thought about [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. Any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

I love [name]Madeleine[/name]. I think that most people would automatically pronounce this with the -lynn ending, while [name]Madeline[/name] can go either way (but I personally would pronounce it with the -line ending). I prefer the [name]Madeleine[/name] spelling, I think it’s really beautiful.

[name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] isn’t too long at all, especially with a shorter last name. I think this sounds great, and the fact that it honors a family member is perfect. [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is great too - I absolutely love [name]Jane[/name]. Either way, you’ve got a great name picked out.

I think “[name]Line[/name]” with both of these, but I also prefer the “line” sound to the name. I would think [name]Madeline[/name] would be more likely to be pronounced lyn. In my opinion, the two vowels in [name]Madeleine[/name] seem to be making a long vowel sound - it wouldn’t make sense for it to be said as the short vowel lyn.

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] sounds great! Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I actually disagree with the PP, I think [name]Madeline[/name] is much more likely to be pronounced -line. [name]Madeleine[/name] is French; the ein makes more or less the sound ‘ehn’ but in English it’s pretty much ‘in’. I know a bunch of Madelines and Madeleines and they’re all pronounced like ‘lyn’, so I’d tend to pronounce them both like that, but I think in other areas [name]Madeline[/name] is pronounced to rhyme with [name]Clementine[/name]. If you want the clearest spelling for the ‘lyn’ pronunciation, definitely go with [name]Madeleine[/name].

[name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is really pretty, not too long. I prefer the flow of [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Jane[/name], but [name]Jane[/name] is a bit of a filler middle. [name]How[/name] about [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Julia[/name], [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Juniper[/name], [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Junia[/name], [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Juno[/name], or [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]June[/name]?

I pronounce both [name]Madeleine[/name] and [name]Madeline[/name] Mad-eh-[name]LINE[/name]. [name]Ive[/name] only seen Mad-eh-lyn spelt [name]Madelyn[/name]. Although behindthename says the french pronounciation of [name]Madeleine[/name] with Mad-eh-len, so I would go with that one. [name]Madeline[/name] is likely to be pronounced with the [name]Line[/name] ending whereas [name]Madeleine[/name] could go either way. [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is beautiful.

I would automatically pronounce both as [name]LINE[/name] until someone corrects me. Is it really that bad to correct? Unless you spell it [name]Madelyn[/name] there will be at least half the population the will pronounce it [name]LINE[/name].
I like [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Jane[/name] a lot!

I would automatically pronounce [name]Madeline[/name] with the lynn ending. [name]Madeleine[/name] would make me want to say “mad-eh-leen” (maybe because of the “when 2 vowels go walking” rule). But as one of the pp said, it’s OK to correct people. Since both pronounciations are common, no matter which way you chose to say the name, you’ll probably end up doing some correcting.

I tend to automatically assume [name]Madelyn[/name] pronunciation regardless of spelling, just because that seems to be the more popular pronunciation in the U.S. though that IS sort of odd now that I am thinking about it… hmm! I would not assume the same for other -line names… ([name]Caroline[/name], for instance.)

I grew up in Germany and the “ei” sounds is pronounce like the word eye… so if I saw a name [name]Madeleine[/name], I would pronounce it [name]MadeLINE[/name] instead of [name]Madelyn[/name], but that is just me. =p

I think [name]Madeline[/name] is just one of the few names that has two clearly accepted pronunciations with one spelling (sort of like [name]Andrea[/name] - [name]ANN[/name]-dree-uh, AHN-dray-uh). I would just go with the original spelling and correct anyone who pronounces it [name]Madeline[/name]. Maybe when she is older she will prefer it pronounced Made-line who knows? =p If you spelled it [name]Madelyn[/name] or [name]Madeleine[/name] you would give your daughter a spelling headache and I do not recommend that!!!

I have the name [name]Clara[/name] [name]Madeline[/name] in mind for my twins to come and I pronounce it MAD-e-lin (not line). I prefer it pronounced that way.
And I agree with sadiesadie. I really don’t think it’s such a problem to have to correct names…

Besides that, I really like [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Josephine[/name].

If I saw the name [name]Madeline[/name] written down, I would ask her (or her parents) how she pronouces it. If that were not an option, I would assume the -lyn ending (probably because I prefer it pronounced that way). I would automatically pronounce [name]Madeleine[/name] as -lyn; this is my personal favourite spelling of the name, but I think both are lovely.
I like both [name]Josephine[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] for middle names, but I think my favourite would be [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Josephine[/name].

I would pronounce [name]Madeleine[/name] with the -lyn ending and [name]Madeline[/name] with the -line ending.

I am also planning on naming my baby girl [name]Madeline[/name], using the lyn sound… We don’t like [name]Madelyn[/name] either, and I think [name]Madeleine[/name] I would pronounce Mad-uh-leen. and I am ALSO contemplating the middle name of [name]Josephine[/name] after a family member… we have six letters in our last name as well. just thought that was quite weird. :slight_smile:

[name]Madeline[/name] (with [name]Lynn[/name] sound) is the most beautiful name!! I named my daughter that this past [name]June[/name]. So glad my wife liked the name.

I love the [name]Madeleine[/name] spelling and also the [name]Lynn[/name] ending. I am trying to find a spot for [name]Madeleine[/name] on my middle name list. :slight_smile: [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Ava[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Sophia[/name] are my favorite combos with [name]Madeleine[/name] as a first. [name]Elise[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] is also very lovely.

We have a [name]Madeleine[/name]. The English side of the family generally says mad-uh-linn. The immediate family and the French side of the family say mad-eh-len, which is technically the correct way for that spelling. Here is a good link to a French person saying it: Madeleine Peyroux pronunciation: How to pronounce Madeleine Peyroux in French

I don’t know why I see so many people online who are sure [name]Madeleine[/name] is pronounced mad-uh-leen. It is not, and is a big pet peeve of mine. It’s the French version of [name]Magdalen[/name] and the ending is the same.

I think that if you prefer [name]Madeline[/name] as a spelling, that most people in English speaking countries will say mad-uh-linn. I am not the biggest fan of the -lyn or -lynn endings. You might have to correct some people, but we have not found our daughter’s name to be a big issue.

Has anyone on here ever met a [name]Madeline[/name] who pronounced her name Mad-uh-line? I have never met one, but that is mentioned as a frequent issue on here. I have always wondered if Bemelmans took poetic license in his books, or if that was a legitimate pronunciation before the stories. Does anyone know?

As far as middle names go, I like [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Blythe[/name].

I know lots of Madelines who all pronounced it Mad-uh-line. Its pretty much the only way we pronounce it in new zealand, if you wanted lynn here you would HAVE to go with the lyn ending. But from what i gather most the ladies on here (i assume are from america and uk but could be wrong!) say [name]Lyn[/name] is pretty standard as well! So maybe consider where you’re from and what you’re heard?

[name]Madeline[/name]-line
[name]Madelyn[/name]- lyn
[name]Madeleine[/name]-len
That’s how I would pronounce the endings of [name]Madeline[/name]/[name]Madelyn[/name]/[name]Madeleine[/name].

I pronounce [name]Madeline[/name] with the line ending, although I have a friend named [name]Madeline[/name] that pronounces it with the lyn ending. As long as you correct people, I think the lyn pronunciation for [name]Madeline[/name] could definitely work. I love [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Jane[/name]!

I think [name]Madeleine[/name] is the prettiest spelling and has the most ambiguous pronunciation. [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] is really nice! I also like [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Janna[/name] (pronounced Yah-nuh) and [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Johanna[/name].

I think [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] sounds fine.

Pronunciation-wise, all of the [name]Madeline[/name]'s I know are spelled [name]Madeline[/name] and pn’ed ‘lynn’. But it can go either way with that spelling.