Madeline?

[name]Just[/name] wondering your thoughts on [name]Madeline[/name] (prn. Mad-uh-[name]LINE[/name])… What are some good middles to go with and how would she fit in with:
[name]Sophie[/name]-[name]Claire[/name] and [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Katherine[/name]???

Our list still includes:
[name]Susannah[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
and
[name]Olivia[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]

Tried to talk DH into considering [name]Serena[/name] [name]Joy[/name]… but he vetoed [name]Serena[/name] (it was my great, great grandmothers name who was full blooded American [name]Indian[/name], and I have always thought it was so pretty!!)

Thoughts???

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Jane[/name]???

Sohie-[name]Claire[/name], [name]Sarah[/name] Katheirne and [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Jane[/name]???

[name]Love[/name] [name]Madeline[/name]. I do prefer the Mad-uh-lynn prn though. [name]How[/name] about:

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Cora[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Ella[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name]

I don’t like the pronunciation and I think she’ll have to correct people. It is usually pronounced MAD-eh-linn, from my experience. I know three girls named [name]Madeline[/name] and they all pronounce it with a -linn sound. No one has ever tried to pronounce their name MAD-eh-line, from my experience it’s a pronunciation that is not really used in real life, I only ever heard it pronounced that way on a children’s TV series.

[name]Madeline[/name], pronounced MAD-eh-linn is one of my favorites but quite common which is why I think it’s better as a middle name.

[name]How[/name] about:

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Clare[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Noelle[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Faith[/name]

Here in the South to get Mad-uh-lynn, from what I have seen they spell it that way “[name]Madelynn[/name]” or similar… to me it is similar to [name]Caroline[/name], which I also prn. [name]Carah[/name]-line. In the childrens series it is Prn. Mad-uh-[name]Line[/name], or am I wrong?? I wonder how it is prn. in french???

Neither lynn nor line is particularly French as far as I know, I believe the correct pronunciation is between, more like len or leen, actually. I don’t mind the spelling [name]Madeline[/name] but spelling it [name]Madelynn[/name] kinda ruins it for me.

I do like [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Emmeline[/name] with a hard [name]LINE[/name] sound though.

[name]Madeleine[/name] is the French spelling, and my favourite.

I love the name, but I much prefer the mad-uh-lynn prn. I think it goes great with your other names! Not sure I would chose [name]Jane[/name] as amiddle though.

I would personally prefer either [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Emmeline[/name], as stripedsocks mentioned, but [name]Madeline[/name] is a perfectly pretty name! I don’t think I would choose [name]Jane[/name] as a middle because I like the first and middle to end with different sounds. I like the above suggestion of [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Grace[/name], and also:

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Joyce[/name] (I don’t know why, but I’ve been liking [name]Joyce[/name] more and more as a middle lately)
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Louise[/name]

I’ve always pronounced [name]Madeline[/name] as Mad-ah-line. I didn’t know I was pronouncing it…wrong? I’m not sure what the consensus is lol. Nonetheless, I like the name. It’s popular enough that I feel you can be more daring with the middle name.But since your other children have classic names, classics are a good source to get ideas…
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Samantha[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Winifred[/name]

To me, [name]Madeline[/name] is always mad-uh-line. Personally, if people are spelling it [name]Madeline[/name] and pronouncing it [name]Madelyn[/name] then they have the wrong pronunciation! I mean think about it. [name]Caroline[/name] = care-oh-line where [name]Carolyn[/name] = care-oh-linn, I have many friends with this name, both variations, and they all get so rattled when others pn their name the opposite way. [name]Madeline[/name] pn. as mad-uh-lynn is so non-sensical to me, but to each their own!

And yes, you’re right little miss [name]Madeline[/name] from the book series is pn. Mad-uh-line. In french, it is most commonly spelt [name]Madeleine[/name] and sounds more like mad-ehl -enn (sort of like the french pn. of [name]Helen[/name] (elle-enn) with a “mad” tacked on the front, if thats more helpful).

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Beatrix[/name] would be lovely, since i know you like her meaning.
[name]Madeline[/name] Joyanna is pretty
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Olivia[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Dove[/name] (taking the meaning from [name]Serena[/name])
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Shalom[/name] (also taking the meaning from [name]Serena[/name])
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Wren[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eloise[/name] (too literary?)
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Lilibet[/name]/Lilybeth or the lovely [name]Lilian[/name]

xo [name]Viv[/name]

[name]Madeline[/name] (pronounced your way) was our first choice for [name]Baby[/name] #1. I believe the middle name we had chosen was [name]Delaney[/name]. I also like pp’s suggestion of [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Joyce[/name]!

I really like [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eve[/name]!! Pretty!!!

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eve[/name] is so pretty - also, how about [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Joy[/name]? BTW, I pronounce [name]Madeline[/name] as Mad-uh-[name]LINE[/name], like you do.

Thanks, kyemsma :slight_smile: Only thing with [name]Eve[/name] as the MN. Her initials would be MEE… guess that is not a big deal???

I say [name]Madeline[/name] with the lynn pronunciation. I love the name too, very sophisticated and elegant.

rollo

[name]Hi[/name] - no, I don’t think the MEE initials are a big deal at all!

I adore [name]Madeline[/name]. The only thing that I dislike is the nickname [name]Maddie[/name] as I very much dislike [name]Madison[/name] which this nickname is mainly associated with. I also don’t like that a lot of people assume that it is the -lyn pronunciation.

[name]Madeline[/name] to me is absolutely Mad-uh-[name]LINE[/name] like the cartoon. [name]Madeleine[/name] is Mad-[name]LEN[/name] like the French cookie (although usually pronounced like Mad-uh-[name]LYN[/name] where I’m from).

[name]Madeline[/name] [name]Alice[/name] is one of my favourite [name]Madeline[/name] combos.

I absolutely love [name]Serena[/name] [name]Joy[/name]! I think it so wonderfully blends the styles of [name]Susannah[/name] [name]Joy[/name] and [name]Olivia[/name]-[name]Jane[/name]. :slight_smile: As for [name]Madeline[/name]–I don’t love it. It’s always seemed a bit trendy to me, even though I know it has a ton of history (for some reason, the fact that [name]Shakespeare[/name] probably invented [name]Olivia[/name] for Twelfth [name]Night[/name] doesn’t bother me at all, but the fact that [name]Ludwig[/name] Bemelman invented [name]Madeline[/name] as a form of [name]Madeleine[/name] to fit his rhyme does bother me… I couldn’t tell you why… lol). It is nice that it’s so strongly associated to the [name]Madeline[/name] story, though!

Hmm, as for MNs, I don’t know. What about [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Eve[/name]? I absolutely love [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Eve[/name], so that was my first idea. [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Tess[/name]?

[name]Danielle[/name] - what happened to [name]Hannah[/name]?

I don’t know exactly, i just wasn’t thrilled with it…