Madigan

I think a while ago I asked for ideas for M names and someone listed [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] (sorry, I don’t remember who!). It’s grown on me as an alternative to [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]. I love the name [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] but the reason I shy away from it is because it is so popular. DD1 is called [name_f]Allegra[/name_f] and I love that her name is uncommon but easily pronounced, also we got it from the [name_m]Longfellow[/name_m] poem “The Children’s Hour” so it has a lot of special meaning. Not to mention I know a very, very white trashy girl I went to high school with that recently named her daughter [name_f]Madelyn[/name_f]…it shouldn’t matter but it kind of bugs me, even though the spelling is different.

I told DH about [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] and he immediately said “Mad, again?” Until he brought it up I hadn’t thought of the name that way. What do you guys think? Any suggestions based on [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f]/[name_u]Madigan[/name_u]? The name does NOT have to match or be stylistically similar to our first daughter’s name. I’m probably in the minority here but I would pick two names that I loved even if they didn’t “go” together.

I really like [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] tbh. It’s a GP of mine (along with [name_f]Bronte[/name_f], [name_u]Fallon[/name_u] and [name_u]Adair[/name_u]). [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] and [name_f]Allegra[/name_f] actually sound really nice together, imo. :slight_smile:

Are you looking for MN suggestions too? If so;

[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Eleanor[/name_f]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Christina[/name_f]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Augusta[/name_f]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Georgiana[/name_f]

[name_m]How[/name_m] about:

[name_f]Bronte[/name_f]
[name_u]Adair[/name_u]
[name_u]Fallon[/name_u]
Carrigan
[name_f]Tatiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Melisande[/name_f]
[name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]
[name_u]Tierney[/name_u]

Thank you for your reply! I have long loved [name_u]Adair[/name_u] as well but there is no way my husband would go for it. haha

in Irish, which is cute. [name_f]Love[/name_f] the name, but because of the five billion Madisons and [name_f]Maddie[/name_f]'s, I prefer it for a boy.

[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] is one of my GP too. I think it’s nice with [name_f]Allegra[/name_f].
What about:
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Indira[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Talitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Ophelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Dahlia[/name_f]
[name_f]Margo[/name_f]/t
[name_f]Aislinn[/name_f]
[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]
[name_f]Romilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Thora[/name_f]
[name_f]Keziah[/name_f]

Some names that remind me of [name_m]Longfellow[/name_m]
[name_f]Anthea[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f] - St Sebald is mentioned once
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f] - mentioned in one of his poems
[name_f]Mazarine[/name_f]

Thank you for the replies! Other opinions/suggestions welcome!

Can you tell me more about the connection between [name_m]Longfellow[/name_m] and [name_f]Mazarine[/name_f]? This name would have a lot of significance for us as the Mazarin Bible was the first Gutenberg printed and we live in the town he is from (I’ve seen this Bible with my own eyes actually) “The Children’s Hour” (with the name [name_f]Allegra[/name_f] in it) is significant because it mentions the legend of the [name_m]Bishop[/name_m] of Bingen, which is also not far from us.

I do like [name_u]Madigan[/name_u]. Its a pretty gaelic choice, but its the name of a dog in my family. She was named [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] because it means “little dog” in gaelic, so it will always be a dogs name for me.

I’ve seen it too!

I don’t think he ever uses the word in his work. It’s just a name that reminds me of [name_m]Longfellow[/name_m] because of his use of color: sable skirts, blue Franconian mountains, the maiden’s blue eyes in the Wreck of the [name_m]Hesperus[/name_m], melodious seas, lyre of gold, all the color in The [name_m]Bridge[/name_m], blue eyed banditti
and his use of romantic names/titles/places: [name_m]Melchior[/name_m], Mæonides, [name_m]Endymion[/name_m], Musagetes, Lascar
and all his marine/ocean as well as nature themes ([name_f]Mazarine[/name_f] is a blue color and also a butterfly)
I guess it just feels like a name that would be at home in his work.

There was a famous Danish tightrope walker named [name_f]Elvira[/name_f] [name_u]Madigan[/name_u]. The reason for her fame was that she fell in love with a married, Swedish cavalry officer, Sixten Sparre, and they ran away together - her from the circus in which she was working and him from his army duty. When they ran out of money they packed a picnic basket, went out to the woods, shot themselves and died together. In Denmark, [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] and Sparre are the epitome of romanticism. The period’s fascination with death and love.

I think [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] is doable, but only because of what I’ve written above, lol. Normally I would much prefer [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f], but [name_f]Allegra[/name_f] and [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] sound nice together. In terms of Mad-names, there’s also Madicken. If I’m not mistaken it was made up by [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] Lindgren for Madicken. It’s the nickname of the leading character, [name_f]Margareta[/name_f]. Anyway, that’s probably a bit to out there.

Names I like with [name_f]Allegra[/name_f]:
[name_f]Augustina[/name_f]
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cosima[/name_f]
[name_f]Cressida[/name_f]
[name_f]Fernanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Fiammetta[/name_f]
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]
[name_f]Olympia[/name_f]
Proserpina
[name_f]Tatiana[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]

[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] just sounds like “mad again” to me. I don’t find it feminine either, and [name_f]Allegra[/name_f] and [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] are very mismatched. I love the previous suggestion of [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] as an alternative. [name_f]Allegra[/name_f] and [name_f]Cosima[/name_f] would be superb as well.

I’m fond of [name_f]Madrigal[/name_f], which is a term for a type of music. I’ve been told it sounds slightly like a mash of [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] and [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] but it’s distinct from either.

I also like botanicals [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] & [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]. Though they’re more [name_f]Mari[/name_f]/[name_f]Maggie[/name_f] than [name_f]Maddy[/name_f].

[name_f]Mariposa[/name_f] - Spanish for butterfly.

I like [name_f]Morrigan[/name_f] (the “Phantom [name_f]Queen[/name_f]” goddess of battle in Irish mythology) but it’s a rather “hard” name. I don’t mean to say, I meant more the feel. More so than other mythology picks like [name_f]Minerva[/name_f].

I really, really, REALLY love [name_u]Madigan[/name_u]. (It may have been me who suggested it… I know that I’ve listed it for ‘M’ suggestions before)

I adore her. My husband loves it even more… and it’s really pushing for [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] as the name for our daughter due in [name_u]June[/name_u]. My only issue is that he already has a son named [name_m]Maddox[/name_m], and it would prevent me from potentially using my long time love, [name_m]Macsen[/name_m] if I were ever to be blessed with a boy. We would likely call her [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]… which helps with the similarity to [name_m]Maddox[/name_m]. But [name_m]Maddox[/name_m], [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] and [name_m]Macsen[/name_m] is just [name_m]WAY[/name_m] [name_m]WAY[/name_m] too much!

Ours would be [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Louise[/name_f] or [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Eloise[/name_f] to honor my mother.

I also like…
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_m]Ramsay[/name_m]
[name_u]Madigan[/name_u] [name_u]Ever[/name_u]

Have a great day!

• [name_f]Aggie[/name_f]-

Thank you, that’s very interesting! We are very intrigued by [name_f]Mazarine[/name_f] and have decided to consider it!

have you considered [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]? similar to madeleine, plus you can use maggy, magda as nn’s. madigan sounds very “me-too” and almost dated with the “-an” names.

What @southern.maple said. Also, I find [name_u]Madigan[/name_u] to be masculine.

When I hear [name_u]Madigan[/name_u], I can’t help but think of Ratigan, from Disney’s “The Great Mouse Detective”. Sorry! :frowning: Apparently this may just be me, though, judging from other replies!