Maelis

I met a little girl this weekend named “Maelis”, pronounced [name_f]May[/name_f]-lease. I thought it was beautiful! [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is at the top of our baby name list (we’re TTC in a few months) but I might be tempted to add this to our list…
[name_f]Maelys[/name_f] is the [name_m]French[/name_m] original [name_m]French[/name_m] spelling. I could also see Maelise being used.
I’m curious to get other opinions on it.

I would go for the original spelling to be honest
But that excluded I think it is a really pretty name you should definitely use :slight_smile:

I think it’s really pretty! When I saw it written down, I said [name_f]May[/name_f]-liz in my head rather than [name_f]May[/name_f]-lease though. I prefer the original spelling.

[name_f]Maelys[/name_f] is considered a feminine of [name_m]Mael[/name_m], which is why it’s pronounced the way it is.

However there is also a [name_m]French[/name_m] name pronounced like [name_f]May[/name_f]-lis/liz, which is Maylis ([name_f]Mailys[/name_f] variant spelling), it’s both a given name and a place name (commune in southern [name_f]France[/name_f]).

Despite being very similar in appearance, Maylis/[name_f]Mailys[/name_f] and [name_f]Maelys[/name_f] are totally different names, which confused me originally!

OP - I love [name_f]Maelys[/name_f] (prefer this spelling, and also the name I mentioned (Maylis), they’re guilty pleasures of mine.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_f]Maelys[/name_f]

The [name_m]French[/name_m] name Maëlys/[name_f]Maelys[/name_f] is pronounced more like mah-eh-lease than may-lease.

[name_f]Maelys[/name_f] sounds beautiful.