Maevie ??

What are your thoughts on Maevie as a full first name?

I’m drawn to it as it seems like a good compromise to our other favourites:
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f] (husband doesn’t want 1 syllable with our surname - I agree),
[name_f]Ivy[/name_f] (similar flow. Vetoed as too popular),
[name_f]Marnie[/name_f], [name_f]Darcie[/name_f], [name_u]Frankie[/name_u] (we like the two syllable ending eee).
Pronounciation very similar to [name_u]Navy[/name_u], and [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] but with eee ending.

However I’ve basically made it up it seems - have you heard it before? Does it sound like a “real” name to you?
Initially I had wanted a traditional/ vintage / unique but known name. Is this too far removed?

Are there any spelling variations that you think are better? Mayvie? [name_f]Maevy[/name_f]?

Does it suit Maevie [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] Norf? (**altered surname for privacy)

Thank you for putting up with my excessive posts - I’m obsessing :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could call her [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] and then Marvie as a nick name? I think it’s a cute name though and doesn’t sound made up.
Could you go for [name_u]Navy[/name_u]?

I like [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] or [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] but not Maevie, sorry. I adore [name_f]Marnie[/name_f]!

My cat’s name is Maeva and we call her Maeva Margaret, as well as Maevie! I wouldn’t use Maevie as a full name esp for a human, but it could work as a nn. I also really like Marnie!

[name_u]Navy[/name_u] I really like the sound of but I’m not really a fan of word names (flowers are an exception) and that it’s military…

@[name_m]Yuma[/name_m] What a cute cat name! I’ve thought of [name_f]Maeva[/name_f]! Our best friend has a daughter called [name_f]Ava[/name_f] and I thought it sounded too similar??

Unfortunately husband doesn’t like [name_f]Marnie[/name_f] and it doesn’t go with [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. A family name we’re pretty set on.

What about [name_u]Waverly[/name_u]?

I’m also keen on [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] nn Maevie. Maevie itself is a bit too cutesy a first for my taste but it’s wearable for sure. I wouldn’t worry about the Ava connection - it’s inevitable with sounds and styles being in fashion.

If you choose, Darcie, I’d think about the Darcy or Darcey spelling.

Other names: Waverley (as above); Everley; Audrey; Verity; Orla or Liberty. You could go Margaret for first name and have nn Maisie?!

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]? Which is itself a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

I’m not a fan, it sounds too childish. Maybe go with [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] like someone else suggested?

Could you put [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] on the birth certificate, but your husband could call her Maevey?

Otherwise, I like the suggestion of [name_f]Maisie[/name_f].

I much prefer [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] to Maevie. Since [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] can be a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], I wouldn’t do [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], but you could use [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] as the full or name or go with [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] as the given name, I don’t think it’s stretching too far to say that [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] honors a [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

Fwiw, I know a [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] whose family calls her Maevey-gravy.

I quite like [name_f]Darcie[/name_f]/[name_u]Darcy[/name_u] for you. Other ideas are [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Macie[/name_f], [name_f]Evie[/name_f], and [name_u]Abby[/name_u].

If you really like [name_f]Maeve[/name_f], sometimes a one syllable first name can sound great with a one-syllable last name. It’s not a hard and fast rule. Good luck!

Thanks for your feedback.
I don’t hear Maevie as any more cutesy/ childish than [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] but maybe that’s because Maevie isn’t common?? Or might just be me haha

My husband likes [name_f]Molly[/name_f] but I vetoed as i think it doesn’t age well. Are we unpredictable? Haha

Ultimately I probably already have better options.

Side question - do you prefer [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] or [name_f]Darcie[/name_f] spelling? In a previous thread [name_f]Darcie[/name_f] was suggested as more feminine which I agreed and changed my mind. Whereas on this thread [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] seems more popular???

Feeling the naming stress :confused:

My hesitation about Maevie isn’t that it sounds childish–I agree that it fits in with the sounds of lots of other names that are popular now–but its lack of established history, which would be important to me but I know isn’t a priority for everyone. I agree that the [name_f]Darcie[/name_f] spelling is more clearly feminine but I still have a very slight preference for [name_u]Darcy[/name_u]. However it’s spelled, it’s a great name and I would enjoy hearing more of it.

If you love [name_f]Maeve[/name_f] but don’t think it will match with your one syllable last name, why not have a longer middle name in between? I also think [name_f]Mavis[/name_f] would be perfect for nn Maevie.

I LIKE Mauvie. If you like it and DH likes it, use it. She’s your DD.

For avoidance of doubt and the little it’s worth, [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is too cutesy for me too but I would totally use it as a nn for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] or another name. It’s a lovely name. [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] isn’t cutesy somehow even though an -ee name. I like [name_u]Darcey[/name_u] or maybe [name_f]Darcie[/name_f] for a girl but any spelling works! But back to original post, I think Maevie is pretty, I’m just not an -ee person! You should use it if it’s the one that sings to you.

It’s not bad, it’s quite similar to [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] or [name_f]Evie[/name_f] in style, however, I’d spell it Mavie which looks more streamlined and mature to me.

I think Maevie may be too cutesy as she gets older. I like the suggestion of [name_f]Mavis[/name_f], nn Maevie

I have multiple semi-related points, so I’m going to make a list.

[ul]

[/ul]

I’d prefer [name_f]Maeva[/name_f] or [name_f]Maelie[/name_f]