Magdalen or Magdalene Poll

Hi Berries!

Do you prefer [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] or [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]? I lean more towards [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] since it looks more complete to me, but I believe [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] is the correct spelling. This is similar to the [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f] or [name_f]Sybil[/name_f] poll I made. Vote for your favorite spelling!

Which is the best?
  • Magdalen
  • Magdalene

0 voters

I say them differently.

Magdalen = MAG-duh-lenn
[name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] = MAG-duh-leen

I prefer the sound of [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f].

9 Likes

I thought they were both said as [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-lane, like [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] without the last syllable.

I also say them both differently (same as the poster above). I like the sound of [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] better but like the look of [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]. I think you could do the [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-da-lehn pronunciation with the [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] spelling but I think you would be correcting people a lot. I don’t think anyone would say “[name_f]Mag[/name_f]-da-lane” with either spelling unless you corrected them.

2 Likes

Oh, okay. I’ve always heard these names pronounced as either [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-lane or [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-leen, not [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-lehn. [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] is starting to grow on me due to the votes.

This is how I pronounce these variations and my preference is also [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f].
If you are wanting it to sound like [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f], then Magdalane or [name_f]Magdalaine[/name_f] would get you there without confusion.

2 Likes

Magdalene looks most complete to me

1 Like

I don’t really like altering spellings, but thanks for the suggestion. I heard that both names are also pronounced as [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-lyn. Now I’m not sure how to pronounce it.

1 Like

I agree!

I pronounce them both [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-lehn; I prefer [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f]! [name_f]My[/name_f] very favorite is [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f].

1 Like

I prefer [name_f]Magdalena[/name_f] too but [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] is growing on me.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re both technically pronounced the same, though in my experience Americans tend to take -ene endings and pronounce them -een ([name_f]Imogene[/name_f], [name_f]Irene[/name_f], [name_f]Charlene[/name_f], etc.)

1 Like

I’m with @SparkleNinja18 - these are said differently to me. Although I’ve always said [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] like mag-dah-len, so maybe they’re both -len? [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] looked odd to me for a while, but it’s definitely my favorite now? I also love the Italian [name_f]Maddalena[/name_f], but of these two, I’d go [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f].

If you want [name_f]Magda[/name_f]-[name_u]Lane[/name_u], I would maybe go for Magdelaine? It reminds me of [name_f]Madelaine[/name_f] and Magdeleine (which I think was used somewhere in [name_m]Cyrano[/name_m] de Bergerac?). Not sure Magdelaine is a legitimate form but it was used with some regularity in [name_f]France[/name_f] from 1900-1920.

Good luck!

1 Like

How is it pronounced?

1 Like

Magdalen is gorgeous! :heart:

I like both spellings, but definitely prefer the sharper “len” pronunciation over “leen”, so I favour the most intuitive spelling for that. [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] also has strong personal associations for me so I always see it as the “default” spelling, even though [name_f]Magdalene[/name_f] has an equally long and illustrious history.

Either way, it’s a great name! Uncommon but familiar, and with a great balance of flowy, feminine sounds and sharper, edgier sounds. Lots of good nickname potential too!

1 Like

It can be pronounced multiple ways: [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-lane, [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-len, [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-lyn and [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-leen. I personally say it as [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-lane.

1 Like

Pro that pronunciation, [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I guess saying the name as [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-dah-len makes more sense but I first heard it as [name_f]Mag[/name_f]-duh-lane, so that’s why I said it that way. I’m starting to prefer the look of [name_f]Magdalen[/name_f] now.

Magdalen is starting to win me over! Thanks for all the thoughts!

1 Like

Magdalen is becoming my preferred spelling.

1 Like