Maiden name as middle name for every kid?

[name]Hi[/name],

My husband and I are expecting our second boy in 3 weeks!

I didn’t change my last name when we got marrried and we decided to give our first son my maiden name as a middle name. He doesn’t have any other middle names but my maiden name.
We are now expecting baby boy #2 and wondering if we should just do this for him and any future children?

What do you guys think?
Thanks so much!

I would like to use my maiden name as a second middle name for every child (presuming there is more than one).

I’ve heard of it being done, and I’ve heard of it being only given to one child. There’s no ‘right’ way about it, it’s just whatever you feel is right for you. If you want to give it to every child, go right ahead. It’ll be a special connection between them all and to you. But you might want to give your children each a different middle in case one or more decide they want to go by it one day, having two kids going by the same name could get confusing.

As you kept your maiden name I think it’s a neat idea. If you don’t like the flow of your maiden name with the fn, then I think it’s fine to choose another family name or a name you love, too. I know a family that just had their second boy and named him [name]Alexander[/name] [name]Coleman[/name]. If it had been a girl the name would have been [name]Aria[/name] [name]Coleman[/name]. [name]Coleman[/name] is a family name and they were going to use it either way.

My cousin did that for both her girls. I thought it was very sentimental.

My granny-with-a-lot-of-greats did this with her children because she came from an aristocratic family and wanted to pass the important surname down. Almost every child was ‘Firstname Ethell Keeling’. It can work :slight_smile: Though I did think it was weird until I learnt more about the Ethell family.

I think it’s fine to use it again or not use it. I would say that if you use it on this 2nd son, it would then be appropriate to use it on any future children as well so you don’t wind up with one that’s odd man out. If it’s not a name you’d want to use on a little girl, I wouldn’t use it on this son.

I think it is fine either way. If you don’t want to continue it, just use a different middle name that is meaningful to you. My friend has 3 kids, and gave them all two middle names, the second middle being her maiden name.

This is what I would lean toward.

I would hesitate to give it to ONLY one, for fear of the kids later wondering why that kid was chosen to bear your name (not super likely, but I worry about that stuff). If any, all, and preferably as a second middle rather than the perhaps ‘boring’ choice of every kid having the same middle name.

I agree with the above. There is always a chance your 2nd might feel slighted if s/he doesn’t get your maiden name as a middle name. Unlikely, but possible. I think it would great to give all of your children your maiden name as a mn. I would at least give it as a 2nd mn if you do chose to go with something different.

I like the idea. It’s definitely not unheard of. Go for it!