Making the switch to a girls name?

I’ve recently started to love the name [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] and I know that technically it’s a boys name but for me it sounds very similar to other girl names that I like. [name_f]Do[/name_f] you guys think [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] could be used for a little girl?

I think [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] could definitely fit a girl! It’s a unique & pretty name.

Some other similar options:
[name_u]Emery[/name_u]
[name_u]Embry[/name_u]
[name_u]Emerson[/name_u]
[name_u]Ember[/name_u]
[name_f]Emmy[/name_f]
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]

I think it could work. It is similar to [name_u]Emry[/name_u] and [name_u]Emery[/name_u] which are unisex names.

Are you Welsh? I personally dislike the idea of taking a boy’s name from another culture and using it for a girl.

4 Likes

I can see how it could work but honestly, I really prefer it on boys. It is another name for [name_m]Merlin[/name_m] and that’s mostly what I think of when I hear the name.

2 Likes

Honestly, I think it would work just fine, especially with the amount of female [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]’s I’m meeting these days. I think I would still always assume boy first, though.

1 Like

It would definitely work!

I think it could work

I’ve heard of it being used for girls before, but I much prefer it on a boy.

1 Like

I like it more for a boy than a girl, however, I think it fits in very well with the trend of [name_u]Emory[/name_u], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], and [name_u]Emmett[/name_u] being used for girls, especially because it comes with a lot of really feminine nns.

Nicknames for [name_m]Emrys[/name_m]:
[name_f]Emmie[/name_f]
Rys
[name_u]Emry[/name_u]
[name_f]Em[/name_f]
[name_m]Ry[/name_m]

1 Like

Another welsh name similar in look and sound to [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is [name_u]Enfys[/name_u]. Its pronounced EHN-viss. The meaning is ‘rainbow’. I think it’s a great alternative to [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] for a girl

4 Likes

I second the suggestion of [name_u]Enfys[/name_u]! What a cool meaning. :blush:

2 Likes

I think [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] works for a girl!

I do prefer it for a boy and I associate it with [name_m]Merlin[/name_m].

There used to be a berry a few years ago with a daughter named [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] [name_f]Zoe[/name_f]. I think it works but I agree with others that I vastly prefer the name on a boy. [name_u]Enfys[/name_u] is a great suggestion!

2 Likes

I completely agree with @choupette and @jonquils
I think it is disrespectful to take a name from another culture and use it for the gender you think could work in your culture. Because the name does not belong to your culture, and if it gains popularity as the alternative gender, it may force the people of the culture it belongs to stop using the name because it could become “girly” which is completely unfair to them.
I am sorry if I sound harsh, I am just passionate about this. It is so so so important we respect other cultures in every area of life, that includes names. :purple_heart:

7 Likes

I kind of agree with this. Maybe it’s not right but it is true that once a name becomes established as a girl name it rarely becomes popular for boys again. At least nowadays. We can wish it wasn’t true but you don’t see many little boy Ashleys or Vivians for this reason. Could people take these names back for boys? Yes. [name_m]Will[/name_m] they? Probably not. At least not anytime soon. [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is such a beautiful boy’s name with such a great history and meaning that that thought makes me a little sad.

3 Likes

I think [name_m]Emrys[/name_m] is a cute name and it sounds more like a girl name than a boy name to me. Another similar name is [name_u]Emerson[/name_u]/Emersyn. Personally I love this name for a girl

I agree with majority of the previous posters. Taking a name from a culture and using it on the opposite gender really isn’t fair to that culture. I believe @whatchamacallit said that people couldn’t take back now mostly feminine names for boys, and I agree with that in this case.

4 Likes

I realize I am in disagreement with some of the replies here but I wanted to offer a dissenting view.

Firstly, on the borrowing names from other cultures/countries. Not everyone wants to go into the history of the exact origin of each name but even if you are prepared to spend time doing that, it can still be confusing. Take [name_u]Andrea[/name_u] as an example. That is female for [name_f]English[/name_f], [name_m]German[/name_m], Spanish speaking countries and many others and yet in [name_f]Italy[/name_f] it is the male form of [name_m]Andreas[/name_m]. [name_u]Marie[/name_u] is usually thought of as a girl name and yet can be used in [name_f]France[/name_f], like when compared with another name like [name_u]Jean[/name_u]-[name_u]Marie[/name_u].

Then what about variations on a name, like [name_u]Bryn[/name_u] is a boys name in [name_m]Wales[/name_m] but why is it wrong to add an n and call a girl [name_f]Brynn[/name_f]? We have so-called derivative works where something creative is based on something else in all areas of the arts, computing coding and so on, so why not in names?

Then there are names considered boy names in some cultures and girls in another like [name_u]Ashley[/name_u] is a boys name in the UK and a girls name mostly in the US.

I don’t understand why people in [name_m]Wales[/name_m] would be so offended by someone naming their daughter 4,000 miles away with a name based on the culture. It is honoring, not offending them. Why do people always need to be upset by things and not see the positive? I believe names are fluid and aren’t we all glad for that? [name_f]Imagine[/name_f] if we had been limited through history with only 100 or even 1000 names for each gender?

As for boys names becoming unusable because girls have used them. I find it sad that even today, so many women co-enable this viewpoint. As women why should we limit our name choices and at the same time reinforce the misogynistic attitudes that anything related to feminine is bad for a boy? Surely change has to happen some time and so why not now?

ETA. I am sorry if I have offended anyone by this post. I have almost deleted it three times since posting. It was not my intention, but I am passionate about these topics.

4 Likes