Malachi and Malachy- How would you pronounce them?

I [name]LOVE[/name] the name [name]Malachi[/name] but the Irish version, pronounced [name]Mala[/name]-key, not [name]Mala[/name]-kai. Does the spelling [name]Malachy[/name] change how you pronounce it? [name]How[/name] can I spell it so that people pronounce it [name]Mala[/name]-key… is it possible?

THX
A

my understanding is that malachy is the irish version and pronounced mala-key. i too prefer malachy to malachi!

I never saw the [name]Malachy[/name] with a y. I assumed it was pronounced [name]Mala[/name]-kye, despite having gone to grade school with one. I don’t know what I thought of his name then - even though I can hear it in my head, an Irish last name, I thought it was [name]Indian[/name] - I had quite a lot of classmates from [name]India[/name] with [name]Indian[/name] names. I can’t actually picture him, I only remember seeing his name in notices or concert programs maybe, and hearing his name over the PA, just about every day (for some reason)… pronounced Ma-LAH-chee. I don’t know if this was how he (or his ignorant parents) really pronounced it or the assistant principal’s mistake, uncorrected for at least a few years.

I hope the worst you get is [name]Mala[/name]-kye if you intend to pronounce it [name]Mala[/name]-kee. I think it’s an interesting name, and people can be trained to say it correctly.

I pronounce [name]Malachi[/name] as mal-uh-kai, and [name]Malachy[/name] as mal-uh-kee, with the endings behing different.

I, too, prefer the Irish [name]Malachy[/name] to [name]Malachi[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

[name]Malachi[/name] is [name]Mal[/name]-a-kai. and [name]Malachy[/name] (from just reading the name i think alot of people would pronouce it) [name]Mal[/name]-ack-ee. I personally perfere [name]Malachi[/name].

Ditto. I admit I stopped researching Celtic names when I started seriously dating a guy with a very Italian last name, but I’m almost postive that [name]Malachy[/name] is mala-key.

[name]Malachy[/name] “Ma-lah-key”