manly?

I am kinda looking into the name [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]/ [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] to add to my short list, but I am a bit hesitant.

1. [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] isn’t very feminine sounding to me,its probably the [name_m]Bron[/name_m] part.
  2. I think the [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] spelling is more feminine looking even though i don’t usually go for the added y.
    3.how usable is it in the middle United States.
    4.not a big fan of the NN [name_u]Wyn[/name_u]
  3. lots of comments on the nameberry page say that the meaning “white breast” is unfavorable. It doesn’t bother me much.
    even with these “problems” I still find myself drawn to it.

Other names I like
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Lillian[/name_f] - I like [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] better than [name_f]Lucille[/name_f], but I am not a fan of the NN [name_f]Lilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucille[/name_f] - [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] > [name_f]Lilly[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f]
[name_f]Ottoline[/name_f]

I don’t consider [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] manly at all. It’s a very feminine name to me. I wouldn’t worry about the nn [name_u]Wyn[/name_u] though. From my experience, if there is going to be any shortening of the name, it’s usually on the first syllable, which would give you [name_m]Bron[/name_m] (which I think is cute)! I wouldn’t worry too much about the name’s meaning. Most people don’t give name meanings the amount of considerations us Berries do. :slight_smile:

Good luck though! If you love the name, go for it!

I actually think [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f] sounds very womanly and grownup. Like an elegant, strong medieval princess. I can see what you mean though, bron is a masculine sound. I prefer the [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f] spelling and without a nickname. [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f] [name_f]Violet[/name_f] would be pretty.

I love [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f]/[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]! I don’t think it sounds very manly, but I can see where you’re coming from. Like pp, I picture a medieval princess. :slight_smile:
I think it’s fine without a nickname, but if you’d prefer one, or are worried about others nicknaming her, how about [name_f]Bea[/name_f] or [name_f]Wendy[/name_f] instead? [name_u]Ronnie[/name_u] or [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] (if it’s not too close to [name_u]Wyn[/name_u] for you) would be cute, too.
I wouldn’t worry too much about meaning. As long as the meaning isn’t just downright cruel, I personally don’t think they matter a whole lot.

I wouldn’t bat an eye if I heard [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] on a little girl here in the US.
I actually have [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] on my list as well, spelled the same way. I instinctively want to spell it that way; however, I think both spellings are beautiful!

Thanks for the input everyone
I brought the name to my bf and he at first thought it was a boy’s name and said how about the middle name [name_m]Todd[/name_m].
[name_m]Todd[/name_m] is his fathers name
I actually kinda liked it for a girl, but it probably doesn’t help the masculinity of the name
[name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] [name_m]Todd[/name_m]
I prefer using family names for middle names and I think [name_m]Todd[/name_m] is the only one that flows well.
Can you see a combo that I can’t

feminine middle name options

My side of the family

[name_f]Jacqueline[/name_f]
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]
[name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Eileen[/name_f]
[name_f]Harriet[/name_f]
[name_f]Ellen[/name_f]
[name_f]Pauline[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Bessie[/name_f]
Zadia
[name_u]Jessie[/name_u]
[name_f]Oda[/name_f]

His side
[name_u]Stacy[/name_u]
[name_f]Amber[/name_f]
[name_f]Marge[/name_f] - [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]

In [name_m]Wales[/name_m], the feminine spelling is [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f] whereas the boys is -wyn, so I pick [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]. It’s not a glitzy, pink and all things girly name, but it isn’t manly.

I would say it’s very strong, not necessarily the kind of strong I personally like.
I don’t love the [name_m]Bron[/name_m]- sound, I’m not sure I’d describe the name as masculine, but rather as very heavy, similar to [name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]; it doesn’t ooze femininity.
That it reminds me of “brown” also doesn’t help making it more feminine.
Still I think the name is usable, I wouldn’t want to be named it (though the nickname [name_u]Wyn[/name_u]/nie makes it quite wearable) but I think it’s one of those cases in which a person makes the name.

For a middle name, I would go with something strong but very feminine, I quite like [name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] [name_f]Florence[/name_f].

[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]/[name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] is a lovely, strong and memorable name. I like that it’s unique without being made-up or too out there. I don’t think it’s too masculine at all, names like [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] are used on girls all the time and don’t have any of the common sounds traditionally found in girl names (sounds like “ee”, “ah”, etc.)

I know a girl named Bronwynne which you might like as a more feminine spelling alternative? She doesn’t go by a nickname either as far as I know, so I wouldn’t worry about that. It’s not a long name and doesn’t have one established go-to nickname, so she’ll probably be known by her full name.

The “white” part of the meaning refers to white as in fair or pure, not necessarily the colour itself, so I think that’s a nice meaning. If you think of it in a historical or literary sense when breast referred to a woman/her body, it can be taken to refer to a beautiful/visually pleasing woman. Also, 99% of people won’t know the meaning of her name anyways.

I do like the other names on your list, especially [name_f]Lillian[/name_f] and [name_f]Ottilie[/name_f], but if [name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]/[name_f]Bronwyn[/name_f] is your favourite, go for it!

[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f] is a great name. Strong and unusual.
[name_f]Ottilie[/name_f] with an American accent turns into “Oddly”.

From your list I really like:

[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f] [name_f]Ruth[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] (for [name_f]Bessie[/name_f])
[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]