Margaret vs Charlotte

Which one do you prefer? Which one sounds the most feminine and which is the most classic? Also, what age would each of these name suggest to you if you heard these names.

1 Like

As full names, I prefer [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], but I love so many of the nickname options for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] - don’t love the nicknames for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] sounds more classic to me.

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] sounds more feminine to me.

I probably wouldn’t assume any age for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. For [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], I’d probably guess under 5.

This is hard!

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] feels dainty, elegant and youthful. Her nicknames add to the playful vibe of [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] and I think she could be more appealing to the masses. With [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] I wouldn’t assume any age. For me [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is more feminine then [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is sturdy, strong serious name I think she carries a lot of weight and feels almost more powerful then [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. I personally haven’t met a [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] under 27 but think it would be refreshing still would assume with someone older. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] for me is a family name and one I considered for a middle name but was vetoed. For me [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] feels more classic than [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].

In conclusion I think my favourite is [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] (very hard decision if you asked tomorrow could change) just because of the family connection and that [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] would be really refreshing to see.

I much prefer [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. I love the nicknames that [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] offers, especially [name_f]Meg[/name_f] and even [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]. But I don’t particularly like the name [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] sorry!

In answer to your question though, I think both feel equally feminine and classic. I agree with a previous poster that [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] feels more powerful. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] just has a lighter feel in my opinion and that’s the biggest difference. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] feels more serious and [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] feels more playful.

I would assume a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is younger than a [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] because the Charlotte’s I know are aged 22, 21, 14. Whereas the Margaret’s that I know are 68 and 42.

Both names are lovely, I just can’t stand the fact of how popular [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] has become. I love the nickname oppurtunities with [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and it’s so refreshing hearing this name on a younger indiviudal; [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] is timeless!

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is unfortunately too popular at the moment. And I love the nickname options for both but there are more for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

While both names sound pretty, Charlotte feels a little overdone to me. I love the timeless Margaret and all its cute nicknames!

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is so elegant and beautiful!! I can imagine either being any age really, though [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] feels a little more modern

charlotte for sure - i’d associate it with most age groups but probably 45 at the oldest
margaret i can only associate with old women lol - 60 and above

1 Like

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] without question!

Margaret,for me conjures images of a crotchety old woman, whereas [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] feels timeless and elegant. It’s definitely more feminine. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] has a very harsh sound to me, which is why I think it hasn’t come back round in popularity like a lot of the other vintage names.

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] vote would go to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

To me they both sound feminine but have the ability to be adapted to some spunky nicknames which I appreciate!

They both also feel classic , and regal.

I know several Charlotte’s and their ages range from 80-6 months. I know Margaret’s most being 80+ but one is 5 , and 2 are 30 so it feels fresh.

[name_f]My[/name_f] deciding factor is the potential honour ( my grandma has a [name_f]Mar[/name_f] name) and the plethora of nicknames

Both are lovely, but I prefer [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]! It feels warm and strong and down-to-earth, and I adore the nickname options. I think both are feminine and classic, but if I had to assign one descriptor to each of them, I guess I’d say [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is more feminine and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is more classic? I’d guess that a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] would be under 25, and I honestly would have no idea about a [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

I think they are equally feminine. I do prefer Margaret because it’s classic and elegant but sounds so powerful. Margaret is timeless I don’t associate a certain age with it and Charlotte is most likely a little girl maybe like 5 years old. Nickname options for both are great. For Charlotte I like: Char and Lottie. For Margaret I like: Madge, May, Pearl, Daisy, Peggy, Maggie, Margie, Greta, Marnie and Margo.

charlotte to all three questions, and I would not assume any age !!

1 Like

Definitely prefer [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]! I knew one growing up and I know a baby so it doesn’t feel fixed to one age. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] definitely feels 75+.

1 Like

I love both of these names! But I prefer [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. To me it sounds feminine without being too frilly. I love all the nicknames that come with [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], and I do think it is the more classic and traditional of the two.

I love both but I find [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] to be the most feminine of the two since it feels softer. I think the NNs for [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] are cuter as well; [name_u]Charlie[/name_u], [name_f]Char[/name_f] (char or shar), [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], [name_f]Letta[/name_f] (Since [name_f]Lotte[/name_f] in [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] can be prn charlette)
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is timeless as well, I love how it feels a bit stronger, but Im not too fond of the NNs; [name_f]Margie[/name_f], [name_f]Marge[/name_f], [name_u]Mars[/name_u], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] (really not into this one) [name_f]Margo[/name_f].
I feel like the combination of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] feeling like a more strong name (I always think of margaritas which is why it stands out to me more) and having less feminine NNs makes [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] seem more feminine.
But honestly, I like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] over [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] as a whole even if it’s the less feminine of the two for me

I think that [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is definitely the most classic, while [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is more feminine, but I prefer [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] over [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] isn’t overly popular like [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is, and there are so many nicknames options for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. You have [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Meg[/name_f], [name_f]Marge[/name_f], [name_f]Greta[/name_f], even possibly [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] or [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], (Pearl from the meaning, [name_f]Daisy[/name_f] from [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women) whereas with [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] you have [name_u]Charlie[/name_u] and [name_f]Lottie[/name_f]. I feel like a [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] would definitely be around 9 years old, while [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] would probably be in her twenties or later adulthood

Both are equally classic, I think, but [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] sounds more feminine (while [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is more… serious?). I always prefer [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] too. I love the nickname [name_f]Lottie[/name_f], but I’m not a big fan of any of Margaret’s nicknames. Could be just me though!

[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] by a smidge!