Margaret?

I’ve been quite smitten with the name [name]Margaret[/name] lately. I love that it’s so classic and timeless, and, I don’t know - prim. Proper. Ladylike. I can completely picture having a daughter named [name]Margaret[/name]. Plus, the nicknames add so much versatility. I think we’d call her [name]Maggie[/name] when she’s little, but then she would have so many options for when she’s older- from [name]Meg[/name] to [name]May[/name] to just [name]Margaret[/name]. I think it has all the qualities that made us love our son [name]Theodore[/name]'s name. I think it’s perfect for us, but I’d like a little feedback and encouragement - or maybe discouragement.

So,
What do you think of [name]Margaret[/name]? [name]Love[/name] it? Hate it? Indifferent about it?
What do you think of the nickname [name]Maggie[/name]?
What do you think of a [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Philip[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] sibset? [name]Teddy[/name], [name]Pip[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name]?

Thanks!

[name]Hi[/name], thought I’d offer some thoughts since I was wanting feedback not long ago. I think the name [name]Margaret[/name] is pure class and full of character. It is a family name for me and that was a bonus. [name]Pam[/name] did a post not too long ago saying that “M” names were part of the next wave of trends (not sure if that is a plus for you) and also “ie” ending nick names. We do call our daughter [name]Maggie[/name]. [name]IMO[/name] the name [name]Maggie[/name] conjures up a sort preppy refined image – yet friendly and approachable. I was a little unsure of [name]Margaret[/name] at first and more interested in the nickname possibilities ([name]Margo[/name], [name]Meg[/name], [name]Mamie[/name] etc…) but [name]Margaret[/name] itself has also grown on me. It does come off as very proper and prim, yet something about all those “a” sounds in it to me makes it very feminine. Bottom line the masses wont be so into this name (at least not yet) but I think it will eventually obey that 100 year rule and once again be more popular in its full form.

[name]Just[/name] wanted to add that [name]Maggie[/name] with the other sib names is perfect! All are classic names that are solid and yet not often that commonly heard.

I love the name [name]Margaret[/name], and the nn [name]Maggie[/name]. I think [name]Teddy[/name], [name]Pip[/name], and [name]Maggie[/name] sound great together

I like it. I agree with your “prim-and-proper, ladylike” image. [name]Margaret[/name] is old-fashioned, feminine and sweet, and I think she’s coming back into style. My favorite nickname for [name]Margaret[/name] is [name]Meg[/name]; I have several lovely associations with [name]Meg[/name], from [name]Meg[/name] [name]Murry[/name] of the “A Wrinkle in Time” series to little [name]Meg[/name] [name]Eliot[/name] of [name]Elizabeth[/name] Goudge’s [name]Eliot[/name] Family chronicles; but [name]Maggie[/name] is fine, and I think [name]Teddy[/name], [name]Pip[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name] would be super cute together. And the full names [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Philip[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] give other choices for more “grown-up” nicknames, if they so desire, or are wonderful used in their full forms. They’re so dignified. Best wishes!

To be honest, I’ve never really liked the name [name]Margaret[/name]. [name]Neko[/name] [name]Case[/name] has a song, [name]Margaret[/name] vs. [name]Pauline[/name], and her lyrics always pop into my head whenever I hear the name now.

I think I like it but it has no nice-sounding girl-name qualities to it in the full incarnation. It say [name]Mar[/name]-gar-ret which are all harsh sounding and seem very masculine to me. It’s almost like this was the very first Boy name stolen for girls. The ‘garet’ part throws me off massively because you would not call a girl Garet. Its too man-ish. Then again, I consider this name myself a teensy bit and it grows on me as time goes on.

[name]Margaret[/name] is a perennial classic for good reason. When all the fads have come and gone, this name will still be standing. I think you can’t go wrong with it.

I adore [name]Margaret[/name]. I think it is a lovely classic with a plethora of adorable nicknames. I put [name]Margaret[/name] with other classics that just drip with feminine strength and charm, like [name]Patricia[/name], [name]Elizabeth[/name], and [name]Catherine[/name].

I am… undecided about [name]Margaret[/name] at the moment. I’ve known one who is my mother’s age, and she’s very prim, proper (if you ask my very matter-of-fact sister, she is way too prim and proper), although friendly and a good mom. She cares about people. So in a way, it’s a good and a not-quite-amazing association for me. She’s always gone by just [name]Margaret[/name], and [name]Margaret[/name] feels a bit too classic/old-fashioned for me to embrace 100% yet, but I do love so many of its nicknames and I think [name]Theodore[/name], [name]Philip[/name], and [name]Margaret[/name]/[name]Teddy[/name], [name]Pip[/name], and [name]Maggie[/name] are really cute together. As for a nn for [name]Margaret[/name], I’m pretty equally tied between [name]Maggie[/name] and [name]Greta[/name]. I absolutely love both, and I think either would be pretty cute with [name]Teddy[/name] and [name]Pip[/name]! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I love [name]Margaret[/name]. And it really goes with [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Philip[/name]. [name]Teddy[/name], [name]Pip[/name], and [name]Meggie[/name]/[name]Meg[/name] or [name]May[/name] are adorable. It’s a great name with a great meaning.

I love [name]Margaret[/name]! It’s one of my favourites :). You’re right it does have a lovely proper ladylike feel to it, and I love that. I think it would be so refreshing to meet a little [name]Margaret[/name].

I like the nickname [name]Maggie[/name], although it is the most common choice. My personal favourite is [name]Greta[/name].

I think [name]Margaret[/name] nn [name]Maggie[/name] sounds lovely in that sibset :slight_smile:

[name]Margaret[/name] is perfect with [name]Theodore[/name]! [name]Love[/name] it!

What do you think of [name]Margaret[/name]?: This is my mother’s first name and was her mother’s first name as well. Neither of them ever went by said first name as neither of them ever liked it (my grandfather insisted my mother be named after my grandmother, so that’s how that happened!). My mother’s middle name is [name]Dana[/name], and she was called [name]Dana[/name] from day one! Everyone calls her [name]Dana[/name]; I have actually never heard anyone I know or she knows call her [name]Margaret[/name]–ever. My grandmother went by [name]Catherine[/name], which was her middle name.
Also, my mom abhors the nickname [name]Maggie[/name] (I’m not exactly sure why, but boy, does she REALLY dislike it!).
So, that having been said, I am more than a little turned-off to the name. Honestly, I could not imagine saddling a future daughter of mine with the name [name]Margaret[/name].
On the other hand, I [name]DO[/name] really like the nn [name]Maggie[/name], or like it as a first name, period! I also think this choice would go well with the sibset you mentioned.
[name]Just[/name] my two cents here, but I have never met a [name]Margaret[/name] who was particularly thrilled with her name / used her full name instead of going exclusively by a nickname.

I absolutely love [name]Margaret[/name]. I am not a huge fan of nicknames, but [name]Margaret[/name] has some cute ones. Personally I would just use [name]Margaret[/name], but I love [name]Maggie[/name] and [name]Margot[/name] as well.

I think that [name]Margaret[/name] is great with [name]Theodore[/name] and [name]Phillip[/name] and [name]Maggie[/name] is a very cute nn. My personal favourite nn is [name]Maisie[/name].