Margot or Margo

I’ve read past posts on this debate of [name_f]Margo[/name_f] vs [name_f]Margot[/name_f], and feel most prefer the [name_m]French[/name_m] spelling [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. I learned though that [name_f]Margo[/name_f] is a Hungarian version of the same name and we have a fair amount of Hungarian background in the family (and no [name_m]French[/name_m]) so am now considering the [name_f]Margo[/name_f] spelling. We live in the US.

Knowing all this, what spelling would you prefer and why?

I personally prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f], but I think [name_f]Margo[/name_f] is probably the best option considering you live in the states. It’s just a lot easier for people to pronounce.

If you plan on living in an English or [name_m]French[/name_m] country, I like the [name_f]Margot[/name_f] spelling better.
For anywhere else, I’d use [name_f]Margo[/name_f] to get the right pronunciation and no t at the end.

I actually love both spellings. The spelling I would choose would depend on the name I am using with [name_f]Margot[/name_f]/[name_f]Margo[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Margot[/name_f] better, mostly because of [name_f]Margot[/name_f] [name_m]Frank[/name_m].

I also think that although [name_f]Margo[/name_f] looks a bit cuter, it doesn’t feel as complete. That being said, I think [name_f]Margo[/name_f] is definitely a nice name. And it does seem spunkier than [name_f]Margot[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Margo[/name_f] I think it has a cleaner look and less chance of mispronunciation. I knew someone with the [name_f]Margot[/name_f] spelling and she found it frustrating how many times people looking at her name included the T at the end and she had to explain it was silent, this was in the States.

I love [name_f]Margot[/name_f], but it would probably be mispronounced a lot.

[name_f]Margo[/name_f].

It’s sweet and simple. Plus I’m quite a ‘‘purist’’ origin wise, and even though it has a lot of usage in English speaking countries, [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is distinctly [name_m]French[/name_m] (and I probably wouldn’t use a [name_m]French[/name_m] name on a non-[name_m]French[/name_m] baby).

I prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. But I don’t dislike [name_f]Margo[/name_f]. I would go with whichever one you prefer aesthetically. It’s not such an obscure name that people of different heritages/nationalities are not using it, either way.

I prefer the simpler [name_f]Margo[/name_f].
As with most names, I think simple and straightforward is the way to go.

[name_f]Margo[/name_f] all the way. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] reminds me to maggot.

i’d go with [name_f]Margo[/name_f] to prevent pronuciation problems

[name_f]Margo[/name_f] looks incomplete. [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is strong, elegant and sophisticated. The “t” really finishes the name off. [name_f]Margo[/name_f] just looks like her poorer relative. You don’t have to be [name_m]French[/name_m] to use [name_f]Margot[/name_f] and the more people see the original spelling the less likely they’ll mispronounced it. I try to be more optimistic when it comes to what I expect from people. I’m not going to expect individuals to be ignorant right off the bat and I wouldn’t let it discourage me from using an original spelling.

I think [name_f]Margot[/name_f] is one of the easiest [name_m]French[/name_m] imports in terms of pronunciation and familiarity in the States. Who hasn’t heard of [name_f]Margaux[/name_f] [name_m]Hemingway[/name_m], [name_f]Margot[/name_f] Kidder, [name_f]Margot[/name_f] Tennenbaum…etc? That being said, I consider [name_f]Margo[/name_f] a misspelling/bastardization, and would only use [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. If you want something less [name_m]French[/name_m], Behind The Name lists some Hungarian alternatives: Gréta, [name_f]Rita[/name_f], [name_f]Margita[/name_f], [name_f]Margit[/name_f], Margaréta.

I don’t think there really is a huge difference between the two. I think most people are familiar with the silent t that pronouncing [name_f]Margot[/name_f] won’t be a problem very often. So it really just comes down to which one you like better visually and your preference for style or family history. Personally, I like [name_f]Margot[/name_f] as a full name because the extra t seems more complete and prefer [name_f]Margo[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] but it’s not a huge preference by any means. But I also don’t pick names for family connections, because growing up our heritage wasn’t really a big thing, in fact a great deal of it is unknown. If that means a good deal to you I’d say go with [name_f]Margo[/name_f].

I prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f] because it looks more balanced to me.

I prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f], it looks more complete to me.

I agree with mischa.

[name_f]Margot[/name_f] looks complete to me, [name_f]Margo[/name_f] is missing something.

I also prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f] – it’s on my list if we ever have another and I can convince my husband. It looks more complete to me, but most names ended in O look like nicknames to me.

That said, I don’t think you can go wrong either way and wouldn’t think twice about seeing [name_f]Margo[/name_f].

I do prefer [name_f]Margot[/name_f], but with your history, [name_f]Margo[/name_f] makes more sense! And it is a nice name!