Marigold

I’ve been keen on flower names this pregnancy, and [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] keeps popping back in my list, I just don’t know if its too out there. I’ve been thinking it would be nice since both my [name_f]MIL[/name_f] and husband’s grandmother names are versions/inspirations of [name_f]Mary[/name_f](and the [name_f]Mari[/name_f] part of [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is after the virgin [name_f]Mary[/name_f]). We usually try to find ways to honor our families, but I just dont love most of the female options, so I was thinking this might be a nice compromise. [name_m]Just[/name_m] wondering if its too unusual. We would mostly call her [name_f]Mari[/name_f] or [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] (which ever was the better fit).

[name_u]Love[/name_u] it! Sounds like a great way to fit in a few honors and still be thinking outside of the box. [name_f]Flower[/name_f] names are always lovely, anyway. Unless it’s Spiderwort. There’s nothing too lovely about naming a child Spiderwort… lol

Haha Spiderwort. Sounds like a [name_m]Roald[/name_m] Dahl villian!

I think [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a beautiful name. Especially if you pair it with a more traditional middle name (if you a worried about sounding too “out there”) it is a great option. And I love the nn [name_f]Goldie[/name_f]. It’s also a cool way to honor a [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. All in all, I like your idea!

I love [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] - it sounds very light and cheerful. I picture a very happy person named [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. Unlike most nature names, I think this one ages well.

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is one name I just cannot wrap my head around as a name. I much prefer [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], but if it has special meaning for you due to the family connection, then you should go for it.

I like [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f], but I think it won’t work with our last name (too much l sounds), and I feel like we live too far north for a [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f]!

Thanks all so far for your comments, our sons names are traditional, so I was worried that I would get a lot of “um okays” if we went with this one! We still have months to officially decide anything anyway, but we only share names with random people on the internet, so its hard to know an outside reaction until baby is born.

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] seems like a nice compromise, and a pretty name to boot.

I have a friend with a little [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], called [name_f]Goldie[/name_f]. It fits her beautifully and doesn’t sound “out there” at all. I’m a big fan.

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is such a great name, and [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] is adorable! I hope you go for it:)

I think [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a gorgeous and definitely not unusual name. Flowers have been used as names for a long time–[name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], etc. I think [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a great compromise between being a bit less common (so your daughter wouldn’t be in class with another [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]), but also a traditional name in the sense that flower names, including [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], have been used for a long time.

If you love the name and want to use it, I’d highly encourage you to. It’s a beautiful name and it sounds like it’ll honor family members, which is always good. :slight_smile:

I think [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a gorgeous and definitely not unusual name. Flowers have been used as names for a long time–[name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Violet[/name_f], [name_f]Iris[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], etc. Strictly speaking about the name itself, I think [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a great compromise between being a bit less common (so your daughter wouldn’t be in class with another [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]–lots of parents like this), but also a traditional name in the sense that flower names, including [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], have been used for a long time.

If you love the name and want to use it, I’d highly encourage you to! It’s a beautiful name for sure. I also think the fact that it would honor family members and that that is something that you’re seeking is a big positive for using the name. :slight_smile:

I like it. It’s on my own list. I tend to love many (though not all) botanical names. And for us, [name_f]Marie[/name_f] was a family name on his side and [name_f]Golda[/name_f]/[name_f]Goldie[/name_f] was a family name on mine - and the twain never met until us.

The other botanical that I think of with it is actually not [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] - which I don’t mind but don’t love as much - but [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]. It keeps the nod to [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and it has the whole meaning around remembrance, and I like that. However, [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is a bit more somber than [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] to my ear. Marigolds are so sunny.

This is so incredibly sweet!

I always adore [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. I say go for it. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=stripedsocks;2623001

The other botanical that I think of with it is actually not [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] - which I don’t mind but don’t love as much - but [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f]. It keeps the nod to [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and it has the whole meaning around remembrance, and I like that. However, [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] is a bit more somber than [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] to my ear. Marigolds are so sunny.[/QUOTE]

While I still like [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f], it has that older out dated vibe, whereas [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is fresher and more now, but with a classic feel.

I say go for [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]!

I love [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]. I think most flower names can’t be too out there because most of them are familiar with the average person. [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is unique but not unheard of (and what a beautiful flower to be named after!). Also, if she honors your family I say go for it! [name_f]Mari[/name_f] and [name_f]Goldie[/name_f] are great nicknames. Good luck.

[name_f]Marigold[/name_f] is a beautiful flower name! I love it and the nickname [name_f]Goldie[/name_f]!
It doesn’t sound too flowery due to is association with [name_f]Mary[/name_f].
When I was a child, there was a show with a doll named [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] in it. I have always thought it was pretty. I have never met a [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], but I would love to!