Marilyn?

I’m not pregnant or TTC, not for a looong while, so I’m not in a rush.

I was curious on what you all think of the name [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f]. I thought about it for a long time and decided it had a place on my list. I pronounce it MA-ri-lin, and it’s the sound of the name I fell in love with. Also, I only really like the [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] spelling, not a fan of [name_f]Maralyn[/name_f] or [name_f]Marylyn[/name_f]. But I’m not sure how others might feel about it because it’s rather dated, plus [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u], [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_m]Manson[/name_m] and all that jazz (not really much of a fan of either of those people, though I don’t hate them.)

I love [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] and will be trying to convince my husband that we should use it as a mn when we have kids in the future.
It is a little dated but it depicts the glamour, and charm of the 1950s. I think it’s an awesome [name_f]Maria[/name_f] variant and defiantly worth considering.

I pronounce it like [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u]. (No doubt a troubled soul but also a brilliant women who used what was available to her to make a life for herself). Maybe it helps to know that [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] wasn’t her birth name just as [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_m]Manson[/name_m]'s real name isn’t [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] either.

@lexiem - [name_m]Ah[/name_m] yes, her real name was [name_f]Norma[/name_f]. I forgot about that. [name_f]Norma[/name_f]'s not a bad name! Now you mention it, [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] does make me think of the silver screen and old Hollywood glamour! I hope your husband sees the light :smiley:

I can see the appeal, especially due to the popularity of [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u].

[name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] feels dated to me but it’s probably time that someone shakes the dust off it and uses it again! I prefer [name_f]Marisol[/name_f] or [name_u]Marion[/name_u].

I really like [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f], but I too pronounce it mare-a-lin. I actually like the association with [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_u]Monroe[/name_u], because I think she was a lovely woman and very kind, just happened to be (as another poster said) a troubled soul. I think [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] sounds glamorous but not in an unapproachable way, if that makes sense?

I’m actually a fan of [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] [name_m]Manson[/name_m]'s music but he’s not necessarily an association I’d like with my child… :slight_smile:

Personally, I love [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f]. It sounds more vintage than dated to me. I also have always loved the name [name_f]Mary[/name_f], so [name_f]Mari[/name_f] as a nn is adorable to me. :slight_smile:

I think it’s nice! I have negative connotations with the name, but I wish that I didn’t because it is a very lovely name! :slight_smile: