Marit?

I heard this name yesterday and wanted to get your thoughts. It was pronounced Mahr-it (similar to the sound of [name]Mara[/name], but with “it” on the end instead of the “a”)

What do you think about this name?

Umm, I don’t like it. Makes me think of Merit.

I would prefer Merit to [name]Marit[/name].

My husband has an Aunty that’s named Maarit - I think it’s pronounced the same way that you’ve mentioned - and they’re Finnish, I think it’s the Finnish version of [name]Margaret[/name]. Personally, I don’t really care much for the sound, but it would be a nice, offbeat way to honour a [name]Margaret[/name]. Definitely uncommon, and I don’t think that there would be too many pronunciation issues with it.

You know, I actually know several [name]Marit[/name]/Merritts. I am not sure where the name comes from or why the popularity around my area, but I think it’s a cool name that seems to work for all ages. Go for it!

I don’t know about [name]Marit[/name], but I’ve seen Merit as a nn for [name]Meredith[/name].

[name]Marit[/name] is a Scandinavian version of [name]Mary[/name]. I am positive it is used in Norway, and I believe it is used in the other Scandinavian countries. A similar name also used in Scandinavia and the US is [name]Maren[/name].

This is my hair stylist’s name and I wasn’t so sure about it but she is adorable and I absolutely love her. She is very spunky, very unique and very thoughtful. Go for it!