Marjorie - too clunky?

I’ve found a new idea to gain ideas on Victorian style names - the list of passengers aboard the Titanic. I was doing research on my great (x4) aunt and found some wonderful ideas.

In the past, I’ve always turned down [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], but I’m feeling more and more drawn to it. The combination I found was [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f], which I’m not sure on.

What do you think, is [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] too clunky and old for a girl to pull off now?

I have also been drawn to [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] lately. I only like this [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] spelling, rather than the [name_f]Margery[/name_f] version.
I think the J with the IE ending softens it a tad.
I would pair [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] with a middle name that doesn’t contain any Rs.
[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] [name_f]Estelle[/name_f] maybe.

[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is very sweet! I think it’s fine, but if you think it’s too hard to pull off [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is pretty, too!

@ashleyjuliette - I feel the same about [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]/[name_f]Margery[/name_f]. [name_f]Margery[/name_f] looks like margerine for me, haha.

@polina - I’m still on the fence, haha. My neighbour is named [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f], but she’s like 70 something, so I’m not sure if the name can get past that stage. I love [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] too though!

There’s Margaery [name_m]Tyrell[/name_m] in ‘A Song of Ice and [name_m]Fire[/name_m]’ :wink:

I didn’t know that, but that’s good to know! The name might seem less clunky and old then :stuck_out_tongue:

I think [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] is so sweet! I know a [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] in her 30’s – definitely not too old or clunky. And yes, definitely this spelling.

I love, love, [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f]! DH likes it too. It’s on our girls list!
I’m not sure why we prefer it to [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], [name_f]Margot[/name_f], etc. It just feels sweeter and more innocent, I guess.

I like it. I actually prefer the [name_f]Margery[/name_f] spelling, it seems more elegant to me. I think having a ‘j’ in the middle of a name just throws me a bit. [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] is lovely though. I love the nn [name_f]Margie[/name_f]. I used to watch Big [name_f]Love[/name_f] and they had a young character who was named [name_f]Margene[/name_f] but went by [name_f]Margie[/name_f] and after this that nn seemed like a ‘young’ name to me and really cute!

I love this name! [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is my personal favorite combination for it. :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] but I’m not sure I [name_f]LOVE[/name_f] it. I really like the nickname [name_u]Jorie[/name_u] (sounds like the first part of [name_m]George[/name_m] and then ee).

To me it is one of those names that I’d use if I had a good excuse to (like it was a family name) but I can’t quite committ with it being just a name I like.

I was literally thinking about [name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] last night. I really like it, it feels very [name_f]Enid[/name_f] Blyton (my style is feeling particularly inspired by her recently).

You might like [name_f]Mallory[/name_f] too? Or [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] (massive gp for me… would be a favourite, but totally unusable in the UK, or at least up [name_u]North[/name_u]. My family might actually disown me haha).

I used to love [name_f]Mallory[/name_f], until I reached high school. I now know two [name_f]Mallory[/name_f]'s and 1 [name_f]Malorie[/name_f], and two of them managed to ruin the name for me :confused: [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]'s very cute though, I like it haha. The [name_f]Maggie[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] thing bothers me slightly though.

I have the cutest little six yr old girl named [name_f]Marjory[/name_f] in one of my classes, so I can definitely see it working on a little kid.

I’d love if someone used this! I know the thread is kind of old, but it’s definitely not too clunky.