Martha??

I’ve been seeing the name [name_f]Martha[/name_f] around a lot lately and I’m really starting to like it however I just can’t get past the feeling of it being out dated and “house maid-ish”

Thoughts?

[name_f]Martha[/name_f] is beautiful and has an offbeat charm. For me, I know someone my age named [name_f]Martha[/name_f] (mid 20’s) so it doesn’t seem grandmotherly. It may take some personal associates to get away from the age for you.

Another idea is thinking of youthful nicknames for [name_f]Martha[/name_f] like [name_f]Mari[/name_f] or [name_f]May[/name_f], or pairing [name_f]Martha[/name_f] with a middle name that to you feels fresh and energetic. Perhaps a nature name such as [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Poppy[/name_f], or [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Ivy[/name_f]? Names ending in the -ee sound tend to sound light to me in general, so how about [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Briony[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Verity[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Natalie[/name_f], [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], or [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Felicity[/name_f]?

Edited to add: [name_f]Martha[/name_f] [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]?

I get the housemaid associations/vibe too (maybe from the Handmaid’s Tale by [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] Atwood), but I think that it is not an insurmountable thing. Once anyone knew a young [name_f]Martha[/name_f], I’m sure those ideas would go away.

Part of the housekeeper/stuffy feel is also likely Biblical, since she was the uptight, not-fun sister who insisted on cooking and doing housework instead of listening to [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] when he visited. (At least that’s how I remember it?)

I think there are enough sweet nicknames that it’s a very nice, solid name that could sound fresh.

I think [name_f]Martha[/name_f] is lovely but it DOES seem a little outdated to me. I adore [name_f]Marta[/name_f], maybe that would be a good option!

I think this is a classic case of on paper versus in person. On paper, this is not a great name because of the reasons you mentioned. However, in person, I have found it to be great. A sweet student of mine is named [name_f]Martha[/name_f] (17 years old, smart, quirky, fun) so I don’t associate the name with the negatives anymore.

I don’t really care for this name. It’s very uninteresting and when I think of a person with this name I don’t think rememberable. I also get that house maid impression from it.

I do feel that [name_f]Martha[/name_f] is outdated and somewhat make me think of a housemaid.

I kind of felt the same way with [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] but one I discovered the combo [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] [name_f]Louise[/name_f] with the nickname [name_f]Attie[/name_f] it went away for me. [name_m]Just[/name_m] give it time.

I like [name_f]Martha[/name_f]! I think it’s charming and on its way back.

I see where you’re coming from, but I promise the stuffy feeling goes away as soon as you meet a little [name_f]Martha[/name_f].

[name_f]Martha[/name_f] does sound dated to me

[name_f]Martha[/name_f] is a lovely name! I know a a little [name_f]Martha[/name_f] and she is super cute. :slight_smile: Plus, [name_f]Martha[/name_f] brings good Biblical connotations as well. [name_f]Martha[/name_f] was the sister of [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Lazarus[/name_m] in the [name_m]New[/name_m] Testament. She loved [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] so much that she did for him what she was best at-- cooking him good meals and being an excellent host. When her brother [name_m]Lazarus[/name_m] died, [name_f]Martha[/name_f] was the strong one. She had great faith in [name_m]Jesus[/name_m], she was practical, and she loved doing things for others. All absolutely great things!
I never once have considered it dowdy or dated. It IS quaint and in today’s modern world would be unique, though. It means lady which sounds so sweet. Honestly I’d love to see more [name_f]Martha[/name_f]'s! :slight_smile:

I like [name_f]Martha[/name_f]. I don’t have the grandmotherly association because when my sister was a teenager, she had a friend named [name_f]Martha[/name_f]. IIRC, [name_f]Martha[/name_f] loved art, horses, and drove a little compact car.

[name_f]Susan[/name_f]

I love [name_f]Martha[/name_f]! I think it is a great classic name that offers so much. There are many cute nn options too: [name_f]Marta[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_u]Marty[/name_u].

I do find [name_f]Martha[/name_f] a bit dowdy but I really like @meyera4’s suggestion of [name_f]Marta[/name_f].

[name_f]Martha[/name_f] is about to have a renaissance. I do get those associations, but I would still be delighted to meet a [name_f]Martha[/name_f] of any age. Go for it! You have tons of nn options as well.

I think [name_f]Martha[/name_f] sounds classic, not dated. I generally prefer classic names to trends. It’s cute, offers options for nicknames, and is familiar without being popular. What’s not to love?

[name_f]Martha[/name_f] is my mom’s name and she’s in her upper 50s, so it does sound dated to me. Of course, if I met a young girl with the name, that would likely change my mind.

But on the plus side, [name_f]Martha[/name_f] doesn’t give off housemaid vibes at all. Not to me anyways.

I think [name_f]Martha[/name_f] is going to make a comeback. She’s dusting herself off now. I think she still has a bit of dust on her, still has that “old lady” thing going on, but soon she’ll seem fresh. I used to hate [name_f]Martha[/name_f], and now I’m starting to see her charm. I prefer [name_f]Marta[/name_f], but [name_f]Martha[/name_f] is sweet too.