Mary and Joesph...?

I absolutely love both names [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] ([name_m]Joe[/name_m]). I am decently Catholic and love classic names, but together they seem a little over the top. Not to mention the associations with a married couple.

We are planning on having more than 2 kids, so would it be better if they’re not next to each other?

[name_m]Even[/name_m] though I would probably use the full name [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] on the birth certificate, I really love the nn [name_m]Joe[/name_m] so I think that’s what he would go by. So really it would be ‘[name_m]Joe[/name_m]’ and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] if that’s better.

Also, I know that there are many variations of [name_f]Mary[/name_f], but I really do love the classic. I like [name_f]Maria[/name_f] as well, but that’s still the Italian/Spanish version of the same dilemma, if that makes sense.

Thoughts? Are [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Joe[/name_m] too thematic to be siblings.

[name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] are very classic names in the Anglosphere, I am sure there have been plenty of siblings with the names. [name_m]Will[/name_m] people think of the married couple? Yes. But will you be judged harshly for it? Most likely not.

Agree with @generic ! I think your idea of spacing them out would lessen the association but since they are both classic names I don’t think everyone would go straight to thinking of the couple.

I agree with the previous posters. If you really love the names, I’m sure it’s fine. – Especially if [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] will be “[name_m]Joe[/name_m]”, which I think is really sweet. :slight_smile:

I think if you love them, use them.

I also think if you had the boy and then the girl, “[name_m]Joseph[/name_m] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f]“ doesn’t sound as blatant as “[name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]” (which makes me want to add [name_m]Jesus[/name_m] to the beginning and an exclamation point to the end).

Overall, I find “[name_f]Maria[/name_f] and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]”/“[name_m]Joseph[/name_m] and [name_f]Maria[/name_f]” the least thematic. However especially with another kid or two in the mix, I don’t think it will be that much of a bother. With the added nn of [name_m]Joe[/name_m], I think you’re fine on that front.

I agree with all the previous comments. In addition, you might consider using a name like [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Gwen[/name_f] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Alice[/name_f] or [name_f]Mary[/name_f]-[name_f]Beth[/name_f] or [name_u]Meridith[/name_u] or [name_f]Marielle[/name_f].

I’m sorry I think it’s way too on the nose. I would make one a middle name maybe [name_m]David[/name_m] [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] [name_m]Simon[/name_m] and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Mary[/name_f]?

I think they are very nice names, but I don’t think they make a good sibset because of the popular knowledge of the bible couple.