Mary and Joseph

One name I really like if our next one is a boy is [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] however my husband is against it because he thinks having a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and a [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] would be weird. I figure we’ll call him [name_u]Joey[/name_u] or [name_m]Joe[/name_m] most of the time so people wouldn’t necessarily make that connection right away. Also if it matters we’re raising the kids Catholic but not that religious ourselves. I’ve already suggested alternative names to [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] to get the [name_m]Joe[/name_m]/[name_u]Joey[/name_u] nickname ([name_m]Josiah[/name_m], [name_m]Jonah[/name_m], ect) and he’s not interested in any of those. [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] had been a possibility if our second had been a boy so I don’t think he dislikes the name just the sibling combination. What do you think?

I wouldn’t do it myself. I would probably laugh (not nicely!) if I heard a sibset with it, unless there were so many children it was nearly unnoticeable. For example, children #2 and #8 out of 10.
As you said, another way to get to [name_m]Joe[/name_m] would be fine.

Eh, I don’t know. My initial reaction was that it’s fine, since it would be “[name_m]Patrick[/name_m], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and [name_u]Joey[/name_u] (or [name_m]Joe[/name_m])” but you might get a lot of “[name_m]Jesus[/name_m], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]!” comments, especially if you end up with three children in total.

[name_m]How[/name_m] do you feel about [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_m]John[/name_m]?

I wouldn’t do it, especially if you plan for them to go to the same school in the future as they are bound to get teased. If you intend for him to be called [name_u]Joey[/name_u] anyway, why not just name him that? I have a colleague called [name_m]Joe[/name_m], not short for [name_m]Joseph[/name_m], and it never struck anyone as strange.

Having a [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and then a [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] really is too much, although I don’t blame you for trying. Both are beautiful names! [name_u]James[/name_u] is a lovely name, as well as [name_m]Thaddeus[/name_m], [name_u]Jude[/name_u], [name_m]Simon[/name_m], [name_m]Paul[/name_m], [name_m]Vincent[/name_m], [name_u]Francis[/name_u] and [name_m]George[/name_m].

Your husband is right. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] is too much! Specially for 2014… It is the combination!

Thanks everyone! My husband has shot down every boy’s name I’ve suggested so [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] is just one of many. But it’s probably one of my favorites although I would love to do [name_m]John[/name_m] with a nickname of [name_m]Jack[/name_m] or [name_m]George[/name_m] too. However he apparently hates those names. I was hoping since he had previously expressed that he liked [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] it might be something I could convince him. I do know that the connection is a little much and I don’t really want to set my kids up to be teased.
I wouldn’t want to just name him [name_m]Joe[/name_m] because I’m not a big fan of the nickname as a name personally. I also think it looks better for resumes and whatnot to have a formal name. Guess I just need to hope for another girl since we have that name figured out.

My first reaction would be to snort internally.

I think it is a bit overly religious, it feels the same as [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_m]Jesus[/name_m]. They are both wonderful classic names so I don’t blame you for loving them but together they are too much.

I don’t think it’s too much at all. Out of seven of us, there is a [name_f]Maria[/name_f], [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] {[name_m]Joe[/name_m]}, and [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_f]Renee[/name_f]. No one has ever made any comments. It has been done many times before, and they are wonderful names, so I wouldn’t think twice : )