Mason rising fast? Help! (X-post from boy names board)

Hey Everyone!

I posted a while back that we were due on [name]Valentine[/name]'s [name]Day[/name] and expecting a boy…we had a top 3 names of [name]Aiden[/name], [name]Logan[/name], and [name]Mason[/name]…my husband is so difficult with names, it’s pretty amazing we even got to these 3.

[name]Logan[/name] has now been crossed off the list (thanks hubby! lol). We really really love [name]Aiden[/name]-it’s been our #1-except for the fact of its mega-popularity I do not want to deal with (growing up as a [name]Jennifer[/name] this is all too common). Our cousin works in a pediatrician’s office, and all day long she hears Aidens being called in to see the doctors. The biggest “[name]Aiden[/name]” turn-off is that I found out an ex boyfriend, who we have tons of mutual acquaintances, just had a baby he named “[name]Aidan[/name]”. Sorry, that’s too weird in my opinion (despite the fact that we broke up years ago).

SO… now we’re at [name]Mason[/name]. Which we both really like. Alot. Right now it’s in the 30’s for US popularity, yet in New [name]York[/name] where we live, it’s #50. [name]Do[/name] we think that this name has the potential to become another [name]Aiden[/name] down the line?

We’re not looking for a totally one of a kind name…and I don’t mind if our son is 1 of 3 Masons, as opposed to 1 of 10 Aidens.

This is SO DIFFICULT to decide on, and I am over thinking this [name]WAY[/name] too much…but I am afraid of naming our baby and then hating it after a while. Ughhh…

Thoughts? Thanks in advance…

I live in New [name]York[/name] as well, and I’ve heard several boys being called [name]Mason[/name] in just my small neighborhood alone (on [name]Long[/name] Island). There is a two-year-old [name]Mason[/name] in my daughter’s play group and a five-year-old in my son’s kindergarten class. It is quite common - and I’ve only really heard it at all in the past five years (primarily in the last few). I honestly don’t see its appeal - it invariably is shortened to Mase, which reminds me of pepper spray, and it seems very trendy to me. I really do think it’s similar to [name]Aidan[/name] (and all the -aden names) in its trendiness, or it will be very soon. Personally, I would look elsewhere if you don’t want a trendy/popular name. There are plenty of classic, common names that are much more substantial in my opinion.

Perhaps I’m biased because my former last name was [name]Mason[/name] and that’s all it makes me think of. There’s nothing really wrong with using it as a first name, though.

My advice to you: pick the name you love. Really, really love. One that you’ll like whether your son is the only bearer in the world or one of 5 in his class. All three of your choices are popular and rising. You know about [name]Aidan[/name] (and [name]Brayden[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], [name]Kaden[/name], etc.), [name]Logan[/name] is at 17, and [name]Mason[/name] 34. So technically [name]Mason[/name] is your least popular option. But you might be happy to know that popularity isn’t what it used to be. For example, in 1980 3.2808% of baby girls got the most popular name ([name]Jennifer[/name]), and 3.7036% of boys were named [name]Michael[/name]. But only .9952% of boys and 1.1023% of girls were named [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name] in 2009. That’s only about one in one hundred- it would be pretty surprising statistically to have five of ANY name in the same classroom. If you still think it’s too popular for you, here are a few less popular alternatives that may appeal to you:
[name]Paxton[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Parker[/name]
[name]Kieran[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Hudson[/name]
[name]Walker[/name]
[name]Brady[/name]
[name]Finn[/name]/[name]Flynn[/name]

Well, I don’t live in New [name]York[/name], but I don’t think #50 is anything to scream and holler about, personally. #30, to me, is okay, too. However, [name]Mason[/name] is one of those names that’s been hovering around the top for years, so is it going to ever plunge to the top of the charts, for real? I’m not sure. Honestly, I think more classic boys names like [name]Jacob[/name] and [name]Lucas[/name] will remain on top, whereas the [name]Mason[/name]'s and [name]Logan[/name]'s of the world will be in the realm of 20 to 50 - that seems to be cool with you, right? Seriously, if you look at the Top 10 list for the US, the only remotely trendy name on the list is [name]Jayden[/name]! In fact, the top five are fairly well-established classic boy names, though [name]Ethan[/name] is an iffy one. We do need to consider that [name]Mason[/name] is a celebrity baby name ([name]Kourtney[/name] Kardashian’s [name]Mason[/name] [name]Dash[/name] Disick is still under a year old), so that’s bound to influence popularity in a small part - we aren’t talking about [name]Brad[/name] and [name]Angelina[/name]'s kid here. What am I getting at? Yes, [name]Mason[/name] is climbing. Yes, it will continue to climb. But, is it destined for #1? No, not at all, in my opinion.

You seem to have a definite style and sound you prefer in a boy’s name, so here are my suggestions for [name]Mason[/name] alternatives. However, at the end of the day, if you and your husband love [name]Mason[/name], use it! You’ll be far happier that way…

[name]Boden[/name]
[name]Bowen[/name]
[name]Camden[/name]
[name]Corbin[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Holden[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
[name]Lincoln[/name]
[name]Quintin[/name]
[name]Roman[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name]
[name]Tobin[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I like [name]Mason[/name] but I don’t see it becoming super popular ie as popular as an [name]Aidan[/name] but there are bound to be a few here and there but that’s good to meet up with someone who has the same name. I can’t see a glut of them all in one class. I haven’t looked at the stats so this is an uninformed opinion.

[name]Don[/name]'t worry I think it will be okay.

Thank you everyone! :smiley: