Mateo/Matteo

What is your opinion on the spelling [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] vs. [name_m]Matteo[/name_m]? [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are both Italian so I was thinking we should go with the Italian spelling, which is [name_m]Matteo[/name_m], but my husband is leaning toward [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] since he doesn’t like the name [name_m]Matt[/name_m], and [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] reminds him more of [name_m]Matt[/name_m].

1 Like

Thank you!

I personally prefer one T just because it feels more streamlined and I also speak Spanish so it looks right. However, if I were to use it I would go with two Ts because I have Italian heritage and that also feels right.

Is your husband worried he’d be called [name_m]Matt[/name_m]? Because I think [name_m]Teo[/name_m] is a much more likely nickname. Despite the letters being the same, I don’t say the A in [name_m]Matt[/name_m] and [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] the same (Mah- versus Muh-).

I like [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] more, especially if you’re trying to avoid [name_m]Matt[/name_m] as a nickname.

Yes, he’s worried that he’d be called [name_m]Matt[/name_m]. Thank you for your advice!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] thoughts exactly!

2 Likes

I honestly think both spellings are good, neither look odd/more normal! I think [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] may be the way to go if you are worried about [name_m]Matt[/name_m] as a nickname (although I don’t think people would necessarily shorten the name like that).

Visually, I like [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] better, but I would rather use [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] for the same reasons as you.

Matteo looks more complete to me

I really like both spellings, so I’m not much help there, but I will say that [name_m]Matt[/name_m] doesn’t seem like an inevitable nickname to me either way! I definitely wouldn’t default to it.

2 Likes

I like both. [name_m]Matteo[/name_m] feels more italian and [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] more hispanic. I think even if you spell it [name_m]Mateo[/name_m], he’ll be call [name_m]Matt[/name_m] sometimes.

1 Like

I prefer [name_m]Matteo[/name_m], it looks more complete imo. I think both spellings may cause the [name_m]Matt[/name_m] nickname.

1 Like

I prefer the spelling [name_m]Matteo[/name_m]! [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] can also go by [name_u]Mat[/name_u]/Matt, so I would go with your favorite spelling!

I like [name_m]Matteo[/name_m], and [name_m]Teo[/name_m] for a nickname

1 Like

I think the Italian spelling makes most sense for you, if that’s your background.

Mat/Matt seems equally likely as a nickname for [name_m]Mateo[/name_m] to me, but I don’t think it’s inevitable. Would you call him by the full name all the time or have you got an alternative nickname in mind?

1 Like