Matilda or Mathilde

Which one do you prefer? [name]Matilda[/name] the [name]German[/name] form or [name]Mathilde[/name] the French form?

I like [name]Matilda[/name] better. The French way of spelling it doesn’t seem so French, if that makes sense. I’m also a fan of straight-forward spelling. I love French things though, so that makes me think, wouldn’t I prefer how the French spell a name better. I think the [name]German[/name] way looks better and cleaner, though. [name]Mathilde[/name] looks more complex, which you may think is better.

I prefer [name]Matilda[/name], because (unless you live in [name]France[/name]) people will never pronounce [name]Mathilde[/name] quiet right and it will just sound like Matild … if you see what I mean.

Oh I love [name]Mathilde[/name]! I think its soooooo beautiful and more Elegant looking than [name]Matilda[/name]. Also you could try the [name]Mathilda[/name] spelling.

FYI, the pronunciations are quite different. In French it is Ma-TILD. So if you want the “a” sound at the end you should probably go with [name]Matilda[/name]/[name]Mathilda[/name]. To make things morr confusing, Germans would pronounce [name]Mathilde[/name] “Ma-[name]TIL[/name]-da”. But if you live in the states, I say go for straightfoward [name]Matilda[/name].

[name]Matilda[/name] is so cute! I love it. We have an Italian friend whose daughter is [name]Mathilde[/name]; I just love how it sounds. But here in the US, I would spell it [name]Matilda[/name], just easier that way, I think!

I love the name [name]Matilda[/name], it’s on our list. I actually prefer [name]Mathilde[/name], but no one here would pronounce it correctly.

My only problem with it is that I don’t want her to be [name]Mattie[/name], but I don’t like [name]Tillie[/name] or [name]Tilda[/name] …

I like the [name]Matilda[/name] spelling because it’s less confusing. [name]Love[/name] the name [name]Matilda[/name]. But if you live in [name]France[/name] or [name]Canada[/name], [name]Mathilde[/name] would be great.

My grandmother was [name]Matilda[/name] but went by [name]Tilly[/name], and I was trying to think of some different nn’s…

[name]Lilly[/name] (is that to much of a stretch)??
Atilda (I really like it, but really not that much shorter)…lol…
[name]Hilda[/name] ([name]Mathilde[/name])
[name]Hilde[/name] ([name]Mathilde[/name])
[name]Tally[/name]
[name]Ally[/name]
[name]Tila[/name]… I think I like this one the best!
[name]Atila[/name]

I love both! No help at all! I think [name]Matilda[/name] flows better with a lot of middle names though.

[name]Lilly[/name] - I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch if you call her it from the beginning. After all, she’s your daughter.
Atilda - [name]Unique[/name], although reminds me of [name]Attila[/name] the Hun … that might just be me, though.
[name]Hilda[/name] ([name]Mathilde[/name]) - I like this one, I prefer [name]Matilda[/name].
[name]Hilde[/name] ([name]Mathilde[/name]) - [name]How[/name] would you be pronouncing this?
[name]Tally[/name] - Cute.
[name]Ally[/name] - Again, very cute.
[name]Tila[/name] - Also cute.
[name]Atila[/name] - [name]Attila[/name] the Hun.

I think your best options are [name]Tally[/name], [name]Ally[/name] and [name]Tila[/name].
Personally, I like [name]Tilda[/name], too. Good luck!

I like them both but for different reasons. [name]Matilda[/name] is a cute, spunky old-timer with a backbone. [name]Mathilde[/name] is a sleek and soft sophisticate.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]. So cute! I think [name]Milly[/name] is a cute nn for [name]Matilda[/name].

I agree, [name]Mathilde[/name] is beautiful with the French pronunciation, not so much with an English or American twang!

My vote goes for [name]Mathilde[/name]. I just prefer it.

I can see using [name]Matty[/name] as a nn in addition to those mentioned before.

Absolutely true. I vote for [name]Matilda[/name]! I am sure that the preferred nn would be [name]Tilly[/name].

[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Violet[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]