Matilda

I am due mid-[name]March[/name] and still do not know if I am having a boy or a girl. There are a lot of names that I never considered using before I found this site. Someone posted that they are naming their daughter [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name]. I think that that name is so cute, sweet, sophisticated, cool, etc. and now for the first time, I am considering using the name [name]Matilda[/name] (or [name]Adelaide[/name]) for my child (if she is a girl).

What do you think about the name [name]Matilda[/name]? Is it going to be really popular? [name]Do[/name] you think its pretty/ugly/weird/dated? Are there other names kind of like it?

I love [name]Matilda[/name], but my husband doesn’t like it at all. I don’t think it will get super popular because some people don’t like it. The super popular names tend to be universally loved, like [name]Sophia[/name]. [name]Matilda[/name] has a lot of consonant action in it. [name]Love[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]'s nicknames: [name]Mattie[/name], [name]Tilda[/name], and [name]Tillie[/name]. [name]Love[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Jane[/name].
[name]Adelaide[/name] is a great name, too, but I love [name]Matilda[/name] even more.
An alternate spelling for [name]Matilda[/name] is [name]Mathilda[/name], but I like to keep things simple. Who wants to spell their name for their whole life?

I love [name]Matilda[/name], too, and I second [name]Susan[/name]'s thoughts on its popularity. Because of its clunkier feel, I simply can’t see it rising in popularity to become the next [name]Ava[/name], [name]Madison[/name], [name]Olivia[/name], etc.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I wasn’t sure about [name]Matilda[/name]. My husband actually told me he liked this name which was really shocking coming from the guy who doesn’t like any name. I’ve since grown to love it. I love the nn [name]Mattie[/name] too.

What about [name]Adelaide[/name]? I have been seeing it a lot lately on boards.

I’ve only seen it here. I havn’t heard it around town. I think of [name]Heidi[/name] when I see [name]Adelaide[/name] but I love the movie [name]Heidi[/name] with [name]Shirley[/name] [name]Temple[/name]. I like [name]Adeline[/name] too but prefer it with a “lynn” ending which isn’t the right way to pronounce it.

I like the sound of [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name], but must say it reads very Australia to me. [name]Matilda[/name] makes me think of the Australian song “Waltzing [name]Matilda[/name]”, and [name]Adelaide[/name] brings back memories of my time in the Australian city (great one by the way) of [name]Adelaide[/name]. Others may not make these associations, but Australians probably will.

Oops! I forgot about [name]Adelaide[/name]! I really like [name]Adelaide[/name] a lot, but love [name]Matilda[/name] more. :slight_smile:

I love [name]Adelia[/name], [name]Adele[/name], and [name]Adeline[/name], too. :slight_smile:

You may also like:

[name]Annabelle[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Beatrix[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]/[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

You hit the nail right on the head sloppyart! Australians definitely do! I do love the combination but that’s all I see.

I really like [name]Matilda[/name], love [name]Tilly[/name]. I also like [name]Mathilde[/name]. I wouldn’t use [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name] together as a combo or sibset.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Matilda[/name], my only downside is that she will most likely be called [name]Mattie[/name]. With all the [name]Madison[/name]'s and [name]Madeline[/name]'s out there I would feel sad if she was grouped with them :frowning:

When I was growing up, [name]Matilda[/name] was the name of a fat farm girl. (I mean it had that connotation.) Now I love it. And so do a lot of other people. I think it’s popularity will continue to go up (especially given the wonderful nn potential it has). [name]Will[/name] it get to be #1? I doubt it, but I can see it going quite a bit higher in ther rankings.

I think [name]Adelaide[/name] will continue to stay more out on the fringes for a while, though it is coming back, too. When I hear [name]Adelaide[/name], I still hear ‘addled’, but maybe that’s just me.

[name]Matilda[/name] is totally gorgeous and the [name]Adelaide[/name] combo is lovely. I love [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Rose[/name] nn [name]Tilly[/name] [name]Rose[/name].

Other combos

[name]Louisa[/name] [name]Clementine[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name] [name]Helen[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] [name]Jane[/name]

I love both [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name] and love them together. I really hope that they do not become very popular.