Maya/Maia/Myah ?

What are your opinions on the spelling of this name? My husband and I like the name, but I can’t decide which spelling I like, though I’m leaning towards “[name]Maya[/name].”

I noticed that “[name]Maya[/name]” and “[name]Maia[/name]” have completely different meanings and origins, which was interesting. “[name]Myah[/name]” seems a bit made up.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your opinions! Everyone here has such great thoughts!

I’m with you on [name]Myah[/name] looking made up. My preference for [name]Maya[/name] or [name]Maia[/name] probably depends on the other names (middle and last) and whether the “y” or the “i” looks better, aesthetically. This is a rare case where I don’t have a strong preference either way.

[name]Maya[/name] is my favorite, but I like [name]Maia[/name], too. (My apologies to [name]Myah[/name]…) :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I also like both [name]Maya[/name] and [name]Maia[/name], but not [name]Myah[/name].

If it makes any difference to you the [name]Maya[/name] spelling is much more common than [name]Maia[/name].

According to behindthename.com there are three definitions of [name]Maia[/name]:

[name]MAIA[/name] (1)
Usage: Greek Mythology, [name]Roman[/name] Mythology
Other Scripts: ??? (Ancient Greek)
Pronounced: [name]MAY[/name]-? (English), MIE-? (English)]

Meaning unknown. In Greek and [name]Roman[/name] mythology she was the eldest of the Pleiades, the group of seven stars in the constellation [name]Taurus[/name], who were the daughters of [name]Atlas[/name] and Pleione. Her son by [name]Zeus[/name] was [name]Hermes[/name].

[name]MAIA[/name] (2)
Usage: [name]Roman[/name] Mythology
Pronounced: [name]MAY[/name]-? (English), MIE-? (English)

Means “great” in Latin. This was the name of a [name]Roman[/name] goddess of spring, the wife of [name]Vulcan[/name]. The month of [name]May[/name] is named for her.

[name]MAIA[/name] (3)
Usage: Basque

Basque form of [name]MARY[/name]

There are also three forms of [name]Maya[/name]:

[name]MAYA[/name] (1)
Usage: [name]Indian[/name], Hindu Mythology
Other Scripts: ??? (Hindi, Sanskrit)

Means “illusion” in Sanskrit. In Buddhist tradition this is the name of the mother of Siddhartha Gautama (the Buddha). This is also another name of the Hindu goddess Durga.

[name]MAYA[/name] (2)
Usage: English
Pronounced: [name]MAY[/name]-?, MIE-? [key]

Variant of [name]MAIA[/name] (1). This name can also be given in reference to the [name]Maya[/name] peoples, a Native American culture who built a great civilization in southern Mexico and Latin [name]America[/name].

[name]MAYA[/name] (3)
Usage: Hebrew
Other Scripts: ??? (Hebrew)

Derived from Hebrew ??? (mayim) “water”.

Many different and interesting meanings! Maybe they will help you decide. (Not to make matters worse, but there’s also the Scandinavian [name]Maja[/name] and the Russian [name]Maiya[/name]!)

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone! I really like [name]Maja[/name] as well, but think the pronunciation problems are best avoided!

I think [name]Maya[/name] is the winner for me b/c of its use in so many different cultures and languages! I really like that!

I love [name]Maia[/name] and [name]Maya[/name].

2 people I know spell their daughters “[name]Mya[/name]” because they were afraid some people would pronounce it [name]MAY[/name]-uh instead of MY-uh.

I would probably go with the [name]Maya[/name] spelling.