Mayflower Names!

Names of actual passengers on The Mayflower!

MORE TRADITIONAL -

[name]Mary[/name]
[name]William[/name]
[name]John[/name]
[name]Isaac[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Francis[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name]
[name]Richard[/name]
[name]Peter[/name]
[name]Robert[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Stephen[/name]
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Edward[/name]
[name]Edmund[/name]
[name]Christopher[/name]
[name]Ellen[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Priscilla[/name]
[name]Joseph[/name]
[name]Henry[/name]
[name]George[/name]
[name]Myles[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Elias[/name]
[name]Ann[/name]
[name]Joan[/name]
[name]Susanna[/name]
[name]Roger[/name]
[name]Gilbert[/name]
[name]Giles[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]
[name]Solomon[/name]

MORE INTERESTING -

[name]Bartholomew[/name]
[name]Remember[/name] (girl)
[name]Love[/name] (boy, sibling to Wrestling)
Wrestling (boy, sibling to [name]Love[/name])
Humility (girl)
[name]Moses[/name]
[name]Damaris[/name] (girl, sibling to [name]Oceanus[/name])
[name]Oceanus[/name] (boy, sibling to [name]Damaris[/name], born aboard Mayflower)
Desire
Degory (boy)
Resolved (boy)

Any favorites?

Humility??? Poor girl.
Desire is nice.

Humility is an ok sentiment, like [name]Verity[/name], or [name]Faith[/name]. I don’t like virtue names much to begin with, so it would be a no today, even if you might call her [name]Millie[/name]. Might also be confused with ‘humiliation.’ Humble actually sounds like a cute name, I don’t know, it has a bouncy sound. I wouldn’t use it, but I like to play with it in my imagination.

I like a lot of the Puritan (ok, Separtist) names. [name]Remember[/name] is pretty cool, and I like [name]Moses[/name] a lot. Most of the classic names are ones I have no objections to. The only one I didn’t like was [name]Giles[/name]. That name is so slimy-sounding it makes me think of a gecko. On the whole, the Plymouth settlers had nice names.

I missed this on the first pass and went looking for the fates of some of the passengers (there is a list of those who died the first winter), and found this sentence here (this is not from the list of who did not survive the winter, just passengers again):
http://www.pilgrimhall.org/mayfpass.htm

“*Mr. [name]William[/name] [name]Brewster[/name], [name]Mary[/name], his wife, with two sons, whose names were [name]Love[/name] and Wrestling.”

[name]How[/name] they were listed just didn’t faze me one bit, until I read it in a sentence. Mr. and Mrs. [name]Brewster[/name], I’m blushing!

I love the name [name]Remember[/name]- this name was passed down in my family for several generations and was used the last time in the 1800’s. I think it would make a pretty mn with the right fn. Most of those in my family had it as a fn and are often found on censuses with the nn Member.

[name]Remember[/name] is one of my favorites, too, but I don’t care for the nickname Member. I think [name]Remy[/name] would make a cute nickname for [name]Remember[/name], if it was used as a first name! I like [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Remember[/name] as a name.

[name]Remember[/name] is one of my favorites, too, but I don’t care for the nickname Member. I think [name]Remy[/name] would make a cute nickname for [name]Remember[/name], if it was used as a first name! I like [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Remember[/name] as a name.[/quote]

I agree [name]Lemon[/name], [name]Remy[/name] would make a really cute nickname and I like [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Remember[/name] (that is a great combo)!

Thanks for the compliment on the combination, [name]Eliza[/name] [name]Remember[/name]! [name]Eliza[/name] is one of my favorite classic names. If [name]Remember[/name] was the first name, I think [name]Remember[/name] [name]Jane[/name] “[name]Remy[/name]” would be really pretty…

I wish I had a cool name like this passed down in my family, but I honestly can’t think of any like it! [name]Just[/name] the standards, and not really many pretty ones at that.

According to censuses, Mr and Mrs [name]Brewster[/name] (parents of [name]Love[/name] and Wrestling), also had a son named [name]Jonathan[/name] and daughters named [name]Patience[/name] and Fear, who made the crossing later.

Fear - what a peculiar name!

What is interesting is that I imagine [name]Remember[/name] must have been a fairly common name, as their siblings were [name]Bartholomew[/name] and [name]Mary[/name], both very popular at the time.

They probably mean fear as in fear (awe, honor) of God. That’s my guess, anyway. And I bet Wrestling has something to do with [name]Jacob[/name] wrestling with God… still, it’s really odd to think of [name]Love[/name] on a boy! It’s so funny how culture changes. Today it would be unequivocally feminine. I wonder why love sounds “feminine” to today’s ears? Hmm… whole other topic completely.

Anywho, I love the idea of [name]Remember[/name] nn [name]Remy[/name]! What character! [name]Moses[/name] is also a favorite. And the list of traditional names sounds like where my heart is for the most part what with [name]Alice[/name], [name]Dorothy[/name], [name]Eleanore[/name], [name]Henry[/name], [name]George[/name] etc.

Yes, my guess was that it was for fear of God, too, but the combination of Fear and [name]Love[/name] is very strange!

I like [name]Alice[/name], [name]Henry[/name] and love [name]George[/name]. [name]Gilbert[/name] is kinda cool think its growing on me.

I love [name]Bartholomew[/name], [name]Remember[/name] and [name]Moses[/name] so cool.

Also apparently there was a [name]Peregrine[/name] too.