Mayim

I love the name [name]Mayim[/name] for a baby girl. It means water in Hebrew. [name]Just[/name] thought I’d put it out there. You might know [name]Mayim[/name] Bialik. Great name!

Unfortunately it sounds a bit like mayhem to me.

Justthinkin: It’s hard to tell just by looking at it, but [name]Mayim[/name] is pronounced MY-im (like the word “my”), not with a [name]May[/name] sound. (If it were [name]May[/name]-im, I totally agree about mayhem!)

While I think it’s really pretty, I’m also thinking that pronunciation may be an issue with people unfamiliar with the name.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

the pronunciation is MAH-yeem

That’s how I pronounce it, too, [name]Jilly[/name], and guess I didn’t do a good job of spelling it phonetically. (I was saying “eem” for the “im” part, but that wasn’t clear.) Anyway, MAH-yeem is much clearer than what I wrote, so thanks for that! :slight_smile:

I figured I was probably pronouncing it wrong, but I still see it as Mayhem!

I like this name… but it will lead to confusion for English speakers. I suggest [name]Maya[/name] instead, which still has the root but is more familiar.

You might also consider [name]Tali[/name] or [name]Talia[/name], both of which mean dew in Hebrew, if you’re into the water element.

[name]LOVE[/name] [name]Blossom[/name]. =]

HEY! My name IS [name]Mayim[/name]. Cut me some slack lol. Though many people do call me [name]May[/name]-im by mistake.

I think a lot of Hebrew names are so pretty. I like this one. I am not bothered by “confusion”. I think names are such a great way to introduce your culture or express something meaningful. If people are confused for very long about this name after you tell them how to say it, then that’s their problem - I’m pretty sure. I can’t say for the person who has a “confusing” name an awful lot what that feels like, this perspective of having to correct your name every time, but I’m not in favor of “dumbing things down,” and watering names down to fit generic tastes and attitudes. In making a name seem more accessible, they lack their original flavor and meaning, or cause you to decrease your pool of names so they are “easy” to read and don’t stand out too much from other so-called tasteful arrangement of letters. Most people, I think, are happy to meet someone with an unusual name, happy to learn how to say it, and want to know more about your name and yourself.

I think [name]Mayim[/name] is awesome. While I do associate it with [name]Mayim[/name] Bialik, she is not too shabby! I also think it is like [name]Maya[/name], which people usually pronounce My-[name]Ah[/name]. They might not get the ‘eem’ part correct, but names are just a great opportunity to educate people about multiculturalism or at least in some way make them aware not everyone is a [name]Lucy[/name] or a [name]McKayla[/name] or an [name]Olivia[/name].

I might like Hebrew names a little more than most origins, but I don’t have a “good reason” to choose one! I am not French or Irish either, but choosing a European name doesn’t seem like such a transgression - I guess there too, we Americans pick and choose what names are “accessible”; unless you have an authentic reason to name your child [name]Giuseppina[/name], you’re probably sticking with [name]Josephine[/name], and I would guess for Americans to steer you away from the odd name that just doesn’t assimilate with our typical naming strategies.

I don’t think [name]Mayim[/name] is that weird or difficult, is what I’m saying. It’s beautiful and interesting.

I really like [name]Mayim[/name]. I like the meaning as well as the way it is spelled and pronounced. I don’t think it is too difficult or likely to run into constant pronunciation problems.