Mean names

Are there any names that sound mean to you? Like, there’s just something about them?

I think that there are names that have been used as “mean girl names” in pop culture more frequently than others. But that obviously doesn’t mean someone with that name is mean.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s true.

[name_f]Bethany[/name_f] has always sounded mean to me because I went to kindergarten with a mean girl called [name_f]Bethany[/name_f]. 24 years on and I can’t let go :joy:

1 Like

Lol, that’s funny because I have known nice girls named [name_f]Bethany[/name_f]. I have to admit, I have a problem with grudges too. I can’t let go.

Names are absolutely transformed by their wearer! That being said, the most popular names for a given generation tend to be the mean girl names in pop culture(because there are so many of them that some are bound to be mean).

1 Like

Maddy has always sounded like a “mean” name to me. But I absolutely agree that names are and can be transformed by their wearer.

I hear Tiffany stated as a “mean” name now and then, and I know a super nice Tiffany, but I also have known some super mean people with some really “friendly sounding” names (like Nora, though I also know a super nice Nora so it balances out).

It’s all relative.

1 Like

Yea like the others it’s all relative but for me [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] (+ any other spelling, not any of the [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] + variants though), [name_u]Makenzie[/name_u] (+ other spellings) and [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] are pretty big mean girl names to me, [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] too but I also think of Lin-Manuel [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] so it’s a bit balanced out

1 Like

[name_f]Regina[/name_f] because of Mean Girls! But I wouldn’t be surprised to meet a nice [name_f]Regina[/name_f], it’s just that the movie really makes the connection for me.

4 Likes

Yeah, [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] sounds mean to me too for some reason. I like [name_f]Isabelle[/name_f] though haha and I know two really sweet Chloes.

1 Like

Yea literally every [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] I’ve met ( a lot, always had at least two in each year I was in school) was just a brat for lack of better words, a good chunk of the Isabella’s too

2 Likes

That’s interesting. I can imagine [name_f]Chloe[/name_f] on a mean girl as well as a nice girl. I’m glad that I haven’t met any mean Chloes because I like the sound of this name. I can definitely imagine an [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] being a brat.

1 Like

I knew mean girls named [name_f]Crystal[/name_f], [name_f]Ashlee[/name_f], and [name_f]Miranda[/name_f] growing up.

1 Like

I can imagine a mean Crystal/Krystal and [name_f]Ashlee[/name_f].

[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f] because of the word prissy. I also really like this name but can’t get past the association.

1 Like

No not strictly. But I can think of names from movies and books that are commonly used for “mean” characters. Plus then just names of mean girls I have known.
I’ve made a mixed list so it doesn’t end up being a list of girls I knew growing up who were mean :joy:

[name_f]Rachel[/name_f] / [name_f]Rochelle[/name_f] / [name_f]Rachelle[/name_f]
[name_u]Holly[/name_u]
[name_f]Chloe[/name_f]
[name_u]Jodie[/name_u]
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Maddie[/name_f] / [name_f]Maddy[/name_f] / [name_u]Madison[/name_u] (but not [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f] :woman_shrugging:)
[name_u]Mackenzie[/name_u]
[name_f]Priscilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f] / [name_f]Bridie[/name_f]
[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Cynthia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alicia[/name_f]
[name_f]Tasha[/name_f]

1 Like

Ursula bc of little mermaid and bc of friends lol! i can’t get past those associations bc those are the only two ursulas i know
also agree with Priscilla (idk why tbh) and Isabella, i have a friend named Isabella and she can be kinda mean

1 Like

I always felt [name_f]Tasha[/name_f] sounded really mean. I’ve known a mean [name_f]Madeleine[/name_f].

I think names are only ‘mean’ due to personal experiences or pop culture references, I don’t think they are inherently mean,

For me the ‘mean’ names are [name_f]Brittany[/name_f], Clarissa/Clarice and [name_f]Jessica[/name_f]

1 Like

For me, [name_f]Emma[/name_f] was the epitome of a mean name, then I met @katinka and my preconceived notion of the name went out the window!

I also have the same feeling around the name Maddy/Maddi, although I’ve yet to meet someone who proves me wrong on that one. Open to all lovely Maddy/Maddis to change my opinion!

Obligatory I agree with the previous posters: a name is shaped by your personal experiences, not objectiveness.

4 Likes