Melody, M”lodie or Melodie?

Hey everyone!

We’ve finally decided to name our little girl [name]Melody[/name].

What spelling among those three do you prefer?

[name]Melody[/name] - easier to spell, that’s what people would write down if you tell them the name
M”lodie - French, much more beautiful in my opinion
[name]Melodie[/name] - my wife and my sister love this way, but the fact that this is not the actual spelling of the word in any language bothers me

?

I’d love to hear your opinions.

Thanks!

[name]Melody[/name], definitely! You don’t want your poor daughter to have to spell her name out for everyone all the time. What a headache that would be!

Congratulations!

Thanks [name]Nicole[/name]. My name is actually [name]Mozart[/name], so I know how terrible it is to have nobody understanding your name. hahahaha

Another vote for [name]Melody[/name]. Not only does it make it easier for your child, but I actually prefer the looks of it. To me, the spelling [name]Melodie[/name] just looks like a creative way to spell it (I know it is a legit spelling, but I am so used to seeing it as [name]Melody[/name], that the “-ie” ending throws me off. I actually might glance at the name and think it is “[name]Melanie[/name]”) Whatever you decide, it certainly is a beautiful choice!

[name]Melody[/name]

[name]Melody[/name]!

Am I the only one really loving M”lodie?? I think it takes it away from the word name thing a little and more into the pretty French name area! M”lodie seems more like a name to me than [name]Melody[/name] if that makes sense? I definitely would keep the accent though to make it a legitimate spelling, and also I think it looks prettier with the accent. Also, if it was my name I think I’d love spelling it that way!

So people won’t get it right first time. I don’t think that’s a big deal. My mum is 49 and called [name]Karen[/name] and still to this day, relatives that have known her her entire life spell her name [name]Caron[/name]/[name]Caren[/name]/[name]Karyn[/name]/[name]Karon[/name] etc on [name]Christmas[/name] cards! I’m [name]Laura[/name] and I’ve had people ask how to spell my name and think that it’s [name]Lora[/name], and my sister’s [name]Caitlyn[/name] so she’s obviously has spelling issues!!

I think any name can have these problems even really classic/common ones. [name]Elizabeth[/name]/[name]Elisabeth[/name] for example. I bet all the [name]Elisabeth[/name]'s in the world just say “[name]Elisabeth[/name] with an S” and the [name]Catherine[/name]'s just say “[name]Catherine[/name] with a C” so your little girl could say “M”lodie with and ie” :slight_smile:

It’s up to you how much correcting people would bother you, but bare in mind that USUSALLY you only have to correct someone once, and since it’s not a hugely common name, she may be the only M”lodie/[name]Melody[/name] that a lot of her school friends and teachers know so once they learn the way she spells it, that will probably be the way they think of first!

Good luck :slight_smile:

M”lodie

ljandrl, I agree with your points… my wife is bothered with her having a French name, a Japanese middle name and a Spanish surname… I only think it’s awesome to have all those influences in a name. hahaha

Oh I see her concern but personally I love multicultural names! Lol. And neither spelling is Japanese or Spanish so either way she’ll have 3 names from 3 different cultures! Good luck deciding :slight_smile:

Oh and out of curiosity, what’s her middle name going to be?

M”lodie, definitely.

Middle name [edited for Google privacy], it’s my wife’s surname, it’s a Brazilian tradition to do that - even though we don’t live there anymore, we would like to do it.

My surname (and my girl’s) is [edited for Google privacy].

I love the french spelling. I’m a musician/music teacher and if I were using it I’d probably go for M”lodie to tone down on the cheesiness of naming her after my profession. BUT if you’re living somewhere where forms, documents and such won’t allow for l’accent aigu, it [name]WILL[/name] become [name]Melodie[/name]. And saying “[name]Melodie[/name] with an IE” is a different battle than “M”lodie with an IE and accent aigu”. I don’t think you can go wrong either way, but if accents and stuff won’t cause a headache, go for it!

[name]Hi[/name], Mr. [name]Briggs[/name]! I’m just putting my two cents in since you were so great on my thread. As you know, I’m apparently a naming idiot (although I like to think I’m just creative), so take my advice for what you will. I personally love the spelling [name]Melodie[/name], but [name]Melody[/name] is also very nice. I wouldn’t go with the accented one merely because I can’t find the letter on my keyboard. Then again, I’m central midwest, so if you live in a heavily French area, it could work beautifully. Maybe one day your little [name]Melody[/name] and my Lullaby could be friends, perhaps with a Ballad or [name]Sonnet[/name] thrown in :wink:

Good luck and happy holidays!

[name]Melody[/name]! It’s really the most practical spelling.

[name]Melody[/name], [name]Melody[/name], [name]Melody[/name]! It’s so beautiful as it is!

M”lodie almost took the lead, but [name]Melody[/name] makes a comeback! hahaha… 6 x 4…

By the way, we live in [name]Canada[/name], but in the English-speaking part, so although the “aigu” (had to look what it is, apparently it’s “acute” in French) doesn’t look “foreign” it’s not really used for anything and people may have a hard time finding it on the keyboard just like you. hahahaha