Melody… risky nickname?

[name_f]My[/name_f] husband mentioned the name [name_f]Melody[/name_f] last night and we both like it. Then he mentioned he would call her [name_f]Mel[/name_f] or “Mel-ee” as in rhyming with “Smelly”…. Is this a common nickname that could happen? [name_m]Or[/name_m] do you see [name_f]Mel[/name_f] or something else more often?

I think ‘Mel’ could happen - Mel-ee/Melly feels like a more ‘at home’ nickname rather than one people would go to automatically

I would never have thought of [name_f]Melody[/name_f] getting called Smelly!

I think [name_f]Mel[/name_f] feels most intuitive as a nickname. I also do find [name_f]Mellie[/name_f] cute. I think since [name_f]Mellie[/name_f] (or another spelling of it) is very cutesy sounding, it’s unlikely anybody would call her that other than close family or friends, so I wouldn’t worry about people associating it with ‘smelly’.

I would never connect [name_f]Melody[/name_f] and smelly either. [name_f]Mellie[/name_f] sure, but not smelly. I like [name_f]Melody[/name_f], and [name_f]Mel[/name_f] is the default nickname. The less intuitive route I’d take is probably [name_f]Miel[/name_f], which means honey.

1 Like

I honestly wouldn’t even connect the two. Mellie/Mel is a cute nickname, and I don’t think it will really get associated with [name_f]Melody[/name_f].

It might happen once or twice in her childhood where someone makes that connection, but it won’t be a constant thing. It seems like just about any name can become the subject of ridicule. [name_f]My[/name_f] niece, [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], had kids call her So-pee-a in elementary school. [name_f]My[/name_f] own son said my name sounds like “catheter” when he was younger. lol [name_m]Just[/name_m] gotta learn to let silly stuff like that roll of your back.

1 Like

To go a bit against the grain here, that would actually put me off. If your husband’s thought of it (sweetly), to my mind a child would, teasingly. Moreso the fact that if your husband will call her [name_f]Mellie[/name_f] nicely then peers will latch on but the rhyming word is just too obvious for kids of a certain age.

I think the name Melody/ [name_m]Mel[/name_m] portrays the “cool kid”. Don’t think kids would put it with “smelly”.

Sure it could happen, the way same way kids can turn anything into name calling though whether that be hair colour, glasses, clothing. weight etc.

Personally I love [name_f]Melody[/name_f], it’s beautiful. The possibility of that nickname wouldn’t factor in for me however I would also use Lodi or [name_f]Lo[/name_f] as a nn.

No I definitely don’t think that would be a natural nickname. Kids will always come up with silly names, but there’s nothing wrong with [name_f]Melody[/name_f]. It’s a beautiful name :blush: Under the same logic there would be difficulties with [name_f]Melanie[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], [name_f]Ella[/name_f] etc. Don’t think you should worry about it at all.