Mercedes

We are a dual nationality couple and are searching for a name that sounds well in English and Spanish. We are thinking about [name]Mercedes[/name], which is not that uncommon from the Spanish speaking country where I come from. However, I am concerned that, in the United States, it is too evocative of the car make.

What do you think?

There are many girls named [name]Mercedes[/name] and even some nicknamed “[name]Sadie[/name]”. The only down side is that a lot of English-speaking people find [name]Mercedes[/name] to be on the trashy side. It doesn’t have the beautiful association with the Virgin [name]Mary[/name] here!

Personally, my favorite names that sound good (and basically the same) in both languages are:

[name]Viviana[/name], [name]Anisa[/name], [name]Valeria[/name], [name]Nayeli[/name], [name]Araceli[/name], [name]Elena[/name], and [name]Belen[/name].

Another option would be to use either a Spanish or English name that has a good nickname in the other language ([name]Ara[/name] and [name]Araceli[/name] for example, or [name]Sadie[/name]/[name]Mercy[/name]/[name]Mercedes[/name])

Ooh, I never heard the nickname [name]Sadie[/name] for [name]Mercedes[/name], that is SO cute! [name]Mercy[/name] is cute, too. I’m not a big fan of the name [name]Mercedes[/name] (my cousin just named her baby that, and she is rather trashy). I can see the appeal since you’re from a Spanish speaking country. I don’t think the association with the car is a big deal, I think most people know that it’s a valid name. Also, I think it depends on where you live. If you live in like the midwest, I might think twice about using it. But if you live in a city, I wouldn’t worry at all.

Some other names that work in both English and Spanish:

[name]Annabella[/name]
[name]Beatriz[/name]/[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Catalina[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Eliana[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Luciana[/name] (nn [name]Lucy[/name])
[name]Mirabelle[/name]/[name]Mirabella[/name]
[name]Marisol[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Rafaela[/name]/[name]Raphaela[/name]
[name]Rosalinda[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name]

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thank you. I did not know the name was trashy. I will keep that in mind, as well as your suggestions.

Please keep posting comments.

Thanks again.

I live in [name]California[/name], and I do not think of [name]Mercedes[/name] as a trashy name. It’s both sweet and strong, and it offers options for a few cute nicknames.

I’m with the last reply–it’s not trashy in [name]California[/name], and probably not in most places where Spanish is commonly spoken. [name]Mercedes[/name] is a beautiful name that has the same issue as [name]Portia[/name]; it gets associated with cars, sure, but I don’t think anyone thinks the girls are named after cars. Take your time and ask a lot of people in your area for their honest opinions about it, just in case.

Some other suggestions:
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Lorena[/name]
[name]Soledad[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Clarissa[/name]/[name]Clarisa[/name]
[name]Christina[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name]/[name]Teresa[/name]
[name]Carmen[/name]
[name]Felicia[/name]
[name]Mariana[/name]
[name]Vanessa[/name]

I think it sounds trashy too. But there are so many other beautiful names to choose from!!
I [name]Love[/name] [name]Luciana[/name] [name]Lucy[/name] is an adorable nickname too. Also [name]Liliana[/name] Is stunning. [name]Lily[/name], also a sweet nickname. [name]Valentina[/name], [name]Sofia[/name], [name]Adriana[/name], [name]Isabel[/name], [name]Camila[/name], [name]Daniela[/name], [name]Clara[/name],[name]Marisol[/name], [name]Marina[/name], [name]Pearla[/name], [name]Selena[/name], [name]Esmeralda[/name].

My favorites are [name]Liliana[/name], [name]Luciana[/name], [name]Pearla[/name],