Merewen?

What do you think of Merewen?

It was just suggested to me in my quest for a striking M name, and I am pondering it.

Pros:

• Prettier meaning than Meridian, which has a nice sound but yeah.
  • Possibly more dignified than [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]
  • Not floral, a plus because I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] florals but not 2 floral names on one kid or it sounds like perfume/a bed-and-breakfast.
  • Could be [name_f]Merry[/name_f] or [name_f]Winnie[/name_f]
  • Rather flowing sound - I like the three-syllables-end-n rhythm of [name_f]Lillian[/name_f], [name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f], etc.
  • Happier meaning than [name_f]Morrigan[/name_f], which is my husband’s favourite

Cons:

• Exceedingly uncommon, possibly likely to be mispronounced/mispelled.
  • [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t know how it’s perceived

[name_m]How[/name_m] would you picture a Merewen? Is it more or less elegant than [name_f]Marceline[/name_f]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]?

I think it’s really pretty. Is is mair uh win or meer win?

It certainly looks appealing, but I’m unsure of how to say it as well. [name_f]Mare[/name_f]-wen, [name_f]Mare[/name_f]-uh-wen, something else?

Regardless, when I see the name Merewen, I think of a girl with long dark hair and fair skin. She’s soft spoken and mild mannered, and she likes the everything to do with the ocean.

It’s comparably elegant to [name_f]Marceline[/name_f], but I think Merewen sounds classier and would age better than [name_f]Marigold[/name_f].

There’s an English comedy I love called Catastrophe where the main couple’s daughter is named Merewen (the mother is Irish, the father American), it becomes a sort of joke and then a hassle because no one pronounces the name (mweer-en) right, including the dad. [name_f]Carrie[/name_f] [name_m]Fisher[/name_m] herself played the grandmother and called the baby [name_u]Mirren[/name_u].
- YouTube (from 1:00 on…)

Oh, I’m sorry! I got the names mixed up. The baby in the series is [name_f]Muireann[/name_f], not Merewen.
I would definitely pronounce Merewen as Meer-wen.

I personally love Merewen! I say Meh-ruh-when. It is lower down my list, but I love how unusual, yet beautiful and usable (imo) it is. I actually think Merewen is a nice mix of elegant, but not too frilly or extravagant, and a good deal of personality. It’s got some really nice imagery. I do prefer [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], but she’s one of my absolute favourite, top names.

I wouldn’t know how to pronounce this.

I’m saying mare-uh-wen???

It’s not my favorite of the -wen names (which I do think is becoming a thing) but I don’t dislike it.

I love it! I think its very beautiful and interesting and less frilly than [name_f]Marceline[/name_f]
I would say mer-eh-wen but do keep in mind that english isnt my mother language

It looks like a cross between [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] and [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] so that’s how I pronounced it. It also kind of sounds like [name_f]Marilyn[/name_f] with the l mispronounced. It’s pretty, but I’m getting the sense from other posters that you’ll run into a lot of other pronunciations. (And I’m still not convinced “mer-e-wen” is right in the first place!)

To me it’s 3 syllables, mer-uh-wenn. But I can see that there will definitely be some confusion, which is probably wise to keep in mind.

[name_f]Mairwen[/name_f] would be 2 syllables - mare-wenn, to me. But I’m not sure it’s any clearer. And I like the three syllable rhythm.

Thank you for your input, everyone!

[name_m]How[/name_m] would you picture a Merewen? Is it more or less elegant than [name_f]Marceline[/name_f]? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you prefer [name_f]Marigold[/name_f]? To answer your question -[name_f]Answer[/name_f]: Merewen wins hands down.

I am sorry I am late to post on your thread I have been searching for a name for our soon daughter
a name that’s ok with our older 3 but more anglo- Merewen might go on my list if you don’t use it.
I love [name_f]Marceline[/name_f] but it’s a different style and from what I’ve heard -depending on where you live- there is more likelihood of [name_f]Marceline[/name_f] being mispronounced; perhaps a little less elegant but more versatile, lyrical and individual.
So to me it’s beautiful and fairly easy to say- but I can’t ‘picture’ I’m sorry - I only see little me’s.:slight_smile:
edited to change 2-3 -okay which one did i leave out? or was it a typo? lol Best wishes

I think it’s gorgeous. I also love [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], but would probably choose Merewen over it.

Merewen to me has a much more subtle beauty than [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] or [name_f]Marceline[/name_f]. It is not overtly ‘unusual’ but is a very rare name - it is in the sweet spot.

And if you are worried about pronunciation difficulties - people might say meer-wen but to me that just sounds like the name in a Scottish accent and it is quite pretty so I shouldn’t worry.