Merry?

Hello, Berries!

Obviously, I am considering [name_f]Merry[/name_f] atm. I’ve always had [name_f]Merry[/name_f] as a gp for a boy, but I’ve just started to really like it for a girl. So I’m wondering what you all think of [name_f]Merry[/name_f] for a girl…

Is it too nontraditional – i.e. is [name_f]Mary[/name_f] better? Or could it work as a fresh twist on the classic?
Also, could it work as a subtle-ish honor name for [name_u]Marie[/name_u] possibly?
[name_f]Do[/name_f] you associate it with anything?

All thoughts and opinions welcome. :slight_smile:
TIA!

I really like it. It’s bright, sweet, fun and very upbeat. I absoutely adore the name [name_f]Merryn[/name_f], and love [name_f]Merry[/name_f] as a nickname for it, but I think it stands alone too.

I’m not too keen on [name_f]Mary[/name_f], although I appreciate its classic, vintage charm, so [name_f]Merry[/name_f] does appeal more to me. It does seem like it could work as an honour for [name_u]Marie[/name_u], too.

[name_f]My[/name_f] only association is [name_f]Merry[/name_f] [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] :christmas_tree:

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Merry[/name_f]! [name_f]My[/name_f] first thought is [name_m]Meriadoc[/name_m] Brandybuck but I like it for boys or girls equally. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s lovely! [name_f]My[/name_f] only concern is that she will probably have to correct people a lot, but it’s not a deal breaker!

2 Likes

[name_f]Merry[/name_f] would be a beautiful twist and fantastic alternative to [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. It’s more energetic and appealing to me. I consider it a feminine name. It is in fact a brilliant name to honor [name_u]Marie[/name_u]!
The first and only association that comes to my mind is “[name_f]Merry[/name_f] [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]”, which would be lovely for a winter baby! However, I wonder if [name_f]Merry[/name_f] might sound a little strange as a first name for a [name_f]Spring[/name_f]/[name_f]Summer[/name_f]/[name_f]Autumn[/name_f] baby.

2 Likes

I’ve always liked [name_f]Merry[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]. As a standalone name it might be too cutesy but as a nickname I think it’s quite sweet.

3 Likes

[name_f]Merry[/name_f] is bright and sweet and i think it could honour [name_u]Marie[/name_u]. [name_f]Merrily[/name_f] is a similar option

2 Likes

Honestly I quite like this. More appealing than [name_f]Blythe[/name_f], less frilly than [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], and a more pleasent meaning than [name_f]Mary[/name_f].
[name_f]May[/name_f] sometimes have to spell it out but that’s true with so many names.

3 Likes

When I see [name_f]Merry[/name_f], I think of joy and happiness. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is a classic and still beautiful. [name_f]Merry[/name_f] has a young and cutesy sound to it. I agree with a pp, that it would make a cute nickname for [name_u]Meredith[/name_u]. I think she would unfortunately grow up with everyone spelling her name wrong if it was [name_f]Merry[/name_f] rather than [name_f]Mary[/name_f].

1 Like

I’ve never seen anyone else recommend this before. I LOVE [name_f]Merrily[/name_f]!

1 Like

It’s so pretty and chirpy :slight_smile:

Thanks, everyone! I’m pleased to find such a positive response to [name_f]Merry[/name_f].

@whatchamacallit
I always think of [name_f]Merry[/name_f] Brandybuck, too! That’s why I crushed on it as a boy name. :slight_smile:

@[name_f]Estrela[/name_f]
You’re the second person to mention “[name_f]Merry[/name_f] [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]”, and I am so amazed at myself for not thinking of that at all! I wonder, though, if using [name_f]Merry[/name_f] on a spring/summer baby would detach the name from the [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] greeting. After all, it means “happy; delightful”, which feels rather bright and summery to me… Maybe?

@Greyblue

I’ve never seen it either, but how adorable is [name_f]Merrily[/name_f]!

[name_u]Love[/name_u] this. Couldn’t agree more.

2 Likes

I pronounce [name_f]Mary[/name_f] and [name_f]Merry[/name_f] exactly the same so since I find [name_f]Mary[/name_f] to be a bit plain, I think [name_f]Merry[/name_f] is the same for me. It registers as a different spelling, not so much a twist, if that makes since? I like the [name_f]Merry[/name_f] spelling more though, as others have said, it feels brighter.

[name_f]Merry[/name_f] [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] is my only association!

1 Like

I love [name_f]Merry[/name_f]. I don’t think it would work on a boy but I love it for a girl. I actually know an older woman with this name. I don’t really like [name_f]Mary[/name_f]. I think [name_f]Merry[/name_f] could definitely honor [name_u]Marie[/name_u].

1 Like

So looks like it’s an unpopular opinion, but I don’t like this name at all. It’s an actual person who’ll have to live with it, not a character from a children’s book. She’ll have to put it on job applications. She may have aspirations to be a CEO or a politician. Pretty tough to be taken seriously when your name is [name_f]Merry[/name_f].

1 Like

I think it’s a fabulous name. I knew a girl named [name_f]Merry[/name_f]. Shes very smart and was ahead in her class. She had a big personality and very optionated. Small, cute, feisty😁

1 Like

I think [name_f]Merry[/name_f] is adorable, but she might get annoyed at having to correct people. [name_f]Mary[/name_f] is so fresh and vintage sounding now and has the same sound, so it might be better. I also loved the sophisticated, beautifully [name_u]French[/name_u] [name_u]Marie[/name_u].

1 Like

I actually knew a girl whose middle name was [name_f]Merry[/name_f]. She hated it, and was embarrassed to share it. It never struck me as positive or negative, it seemed completely neutral, but for some reason she really disliked it.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone, for all the responses!

@Sophiesimmons
That’s alright. I do see where you’re coming from, and those are definitely points to consider. Thank you for your feedback. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen [name_f]Merry[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_u]Meredith[/name_u] also and think it works really well!

1 Like