Meryl Rose, Flora May, Mabel Anne - help!!!

See the results of this poll: Best name for baby girl?

Respondents: 34 (This poll is closed)

• Mabel Anne: 9 (26%)
  • Flora May: 15 (44%)
  • Meryl Rose: 8 (24%)
  • Other - please comment!: 2 (6%)

I voted for [name]Flora[/name] [name]May[/name] because I think the name [name]Flora[/name] is lovely! [name]Flora[/name] [name]May[/name] is a great combination. I personally don’t like [name]Mabel[/name] much, and [name]Meryl[/name] seems a little dated. Here are other suggestions…

[name]Mira[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Eleni[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Maris[/name]
[name]Greta[/name] / [name]Gretel[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Maren[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]

I’m so stuck! [name]Love[/name] all of them. Leaning towards [name]Meryl[/name] [name]Rose[/name] as I’ve always loved the name. But [name]Flora[/name] has merits too! I love [name]Mabel[/name] also but not sure about the combination with [name]Anne[/name] (thats hubby’s fav!). Keep the thoughts coming! Thanks

[name]Haven[/name]'t voted yet, but [name]Mabel[/name] has a lot of alternate spellings. [name]Mabel[/name] is the quintessential old-fashioned spelling, but since you like [name]May[/name], you might like

[name]Maebell[/name]
[name]Maebelle[/name]
[name]Maribel[/name]
[name]Marybelle[/name]
[name]Maybell[/name]
[name]Maybelle[/name]

Also, have you considered the name [name]Beryl[/name]? This name – meaning ‘sea green jewel’ – is really growing on me. [name]How[/name] about [name]Beryl[/name] [name]May[/name]?

From the combos you have, I like [name]Flora[/name] [name]May[/name], but it sounds VERY flowery ([name]Flora[/name] and [name]May[/name] together are almost a theme). I’m not sure about [name]Anne[/name] with [name]Mabel[/name]. I think [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Rose[/name] might be prettier. You could also do [name]Florence[/name] (nn [name]Flora[/name]) [name]Anne[/name].

good luck.

I’m the one who voted “other”. So now I guess I comment. I like all 3 just fine, I guess I would say [name]Mabel[/name] is my favorite of the 3, and I’m not really hooked on [name]Flora[/name] at all, but I’m sure it’s ok. All 3 are ok.

I guess it’s the middle names that don’t do anything for me. If any of them are meaningful at all to you, or they all are, I don’t know. They all seem kind of filler-y. I’m a bigger fan of personal meaning (even if that meaning is you just like the name a whole lot) than how it flows, so these middle names just aren’t wowing me - especially as you took 3 names you like for 1st names, the middle names don’t flow, they’re just there, and they just don’t seem to mean anything either. You can tell me they are all meaningful and that would change my views a bit.

I think if we’re keeping the middle names you specified, I would switch [name]Mabel[/name] with [name]Meryl[/name], I think [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Rose[/name] sounds nicer, and [name]Meryl[/name] [name]Anne[/name] sounds good, if we are just adjusting for sound. [name]Flora[/name] and [name]May[/name] aren’t my favorite, I might say [name]Flora[/name] [name]Mabel[/name] or [name]Flora[/name] [name]Meryl[/name]. I don’t know what your last name is. [name]Do[/name] not consider [name]Flora[/name] [name]Rose[/name] or [name]Mabel[/name] [name]May[/name] - just hard to say and corny. [name]Flora[/name] [name]Anne[/name] would be the hardest to say. [name]Florian[/name] is another option I like better than [name]Flora[/name] [name]Anne[/name], it’s supposedly a variation of [name]Florence[/name], but I get the idea you are like me - you like the shorter simpler versions best and they are pretty and don’t need to be embellished to be interesting.

In the final analysis, I always like to point out that the first and last name should sound best together, and don’t mind the middle name as it will almost never be heard. I don’t mean “don’t mind it” like just forget it - I just wouldn’t count so heavily “how it all sounds together” as the most important part.

If, though, these are double names and not middle names, eg. you are going to call [name]Flora[/name] [name]May[/name] ______, “[name]Flora[/name] [name]May[/name]” all the time, I think the short second names are good, but I would switch them the way I said so the whole first double name sounds better.

The part that people hear all the time of course has to sound better whether a first name or a double first name or whatever. When it’s a middle name, though, it’s hidden so can be whatever you like, as long as you listen to the first and last name without it and that sounds ok.

I voted for [name]Meryl[/name] [name]Rose[/name] other ideas

[name]Meredith[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Imogen[/name] [name]Kate[/name]
[name]Lyric[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]
Surnames [name]Reeves[/name] if that helps.
Fair enough - me and hubby love the combinations. The middle names were picked as I like single syllable middle names - i feel that they flow better. Also i grew up with a really long name and it was a pain. I do like the old fashioned traditional names so would be open to any suggestions you may have.
Thanks everyone

My name is [name]Meryl[/name] [name]Anne[/name]. I have always liked my first name and never been teased or anything like that. I remember as a child wishing i had a more frilly name. I never liked my middle name because it felt like a filler name, it seems like everyones mn is anne or lynn. Now every little girl i meet has the middle name [name]May[/name], [name]June[/name] or [name]Rose[/name]. I vote for other because i like all your first names but think the middle names aren’t as special.

I love the first name [name]Meryl[/name] but agree with merylp that [name]Rose[/name] is a bit of a filler mn these days and the combination would benefit from a longer, more unusual name in that spot. Also, with the last name [name]Reeves[/name] something starting in a letter other than “R” would flow better.
If you really want to keep “[name]Rose[/name]” in there how about,
[name]Meryl[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Meryl[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]

other ideas,
[name]Meryl[/name] [name]Kate[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Meryl[/name] [name]Dawn[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Meryl[/name] [name]Joy[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Meryl[/name] [name]June[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Meryl[/name] [name]Paige[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]

If you like one-syllable middle names, what about:

[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Wren[/name]
[name]Rue[/name]
[name]Niamh[/name]/[name]Neve[/name]
[name]Belle[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Jade[/name]
[name]Nell[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Faye[/name]
[name]Tess[/name]
[name]Liv[/name]

[name]Meryl[/name] [name]Niamh[/name]
[name]Meryl[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Meryl[/name] [name]Jade[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Claire[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Flora[/name] [name]Liv[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name] [name]Rue[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name] [name]Jane[/name]

I love [name]Meryl[/name], [name]Flora[/name], and [name]Mabel[/name]! So pretty! :slight_smile:

I voted for [name]Flora[/name] [name]May[/name], but now that I know your last name, I think that [name]Flora[/name] [name]Reeves[/name] is a bit R heavy. Hmm…I think that [name]Meryl[/name] [name]Reeves[/name] sounds better than [name]Flora[/name] [name]Reeves[/name], but I love [name]Mabel[/name] the most with [name]Reeves[/name].

Then again, [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Anne[/name] [name]Reeves[/name] spells [name]MAR[/name], and “mar” is a negative word meaning “to inflict damage.” This may not bother you, but I thought I’d mention it just in case. :slight_smile:

So, I’ll change my vote to [name]Mabel[/name], but with a non- A middle name. With a short last name, I think a longer middle name creates a lovely flow.

[name]Meryl[/name] Streep’s real name is [name]Mary[/name] [name]Louise[/name] Streep, so I thought I’d suggest [name]Mary[/name] [name]Louisa[/name] to you, too.

You may also like (my apologies for repeats):

[name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Clementine[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Mirabel[/name]/[name]Mirabelle[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Reeves[/name]

Good luck!

Knowing you have a 1 -syllable name, I think [name]Flora[/name] [name]Mabel[/name] would work nicely.

[name]Flora[/name] [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Reeves[/name] – like it better than your other combos.

I voted for [name]Flora[/name] [name]May[/name] but I prefer [name]Flora[/name] [name]Pearl[/name], and [name]Mabel[/name] [name]Fleur[/name] might have tempted me!

I love [name]Flora[/name]. While I do like the name [name]May[/name], I think as a middle name it sometimes has a [name]Daisy[/name] [name]May[/name] backwoods kind of feel. [name]How[/name] about something a little more surprising?

[name]Flora[/name] [name]May[/name] for me. Though think i would prefer [name]Florence[/name] [name]Mae[/name] personally. I do like all suggestions though - very vintage x