Metal Ox Names (Gold Ox - 2021 Chinese Zodiac)

Ok, so I’ve been going around Nameberry and putting out feelers for this personality but I really need help with it…

Both of my children so far really exhibit their Chinese zodiac signs (gotta love that [name_m]Barnum[/name_m] Effect). I have a [name_u]Fire[/name_u] [name_m]Rooster[/name_m] and an [name_f]Earth[/name_f] Rat and so long as I conceive and carry during our first 7-8 months of trying, our last child will be a Metal [name_m]Ox[/name_m] child (2021-22).

More Rambling

I’m rather nervous about this kid… my mom is a Metal [name_m]Ox[/name_m] and we have always clashed. Supposedly I (Water Monkey) am a pretty decent parent match for an [name_m]Ox[/name_m] child but evidently I’m not a good match to be parented by one… I’m hoping the parent/child pair makes all the difference. Happily, the best sibling matches/playmates for an [name_m]Ox[/name_m] child are the [name_m]Rooster[/name_m] and Rat so there we go. At least they’ll have each other, lol.

Often the element of the year counteracts some of the “effects” of the zodiac sign, but here… metal/gold just makes the ox more oxen…extra stubbornness, extra dependability, etc.

I’ve gotten my boys’ list DOWN and I’ve taken into account this aspect in those names.

But what girl names would you suggest for this personality (my own interpretation of the zodiac for next year… not somebody’s who would be an expert)? [name_f]Do[/name_f] any names in particular that you know/think I like already come to mind?

Stoic / sweet / self-assured / strong-willed / fair-minded / dependable / rugged / guarded from evaluative gaze and praise / calm and even-keeled, keeping their cool far beyond when others may snap, but will eventually explode when patience is tested too much / forthright / modest / extraordinary in ordinary ways

Thanks, Berries!

3 Likes

Your [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] definitely comes to mind! I might be looking at it through hyacinthbucket colored glasses but I could see a self-assured, dependable, forthright, extraordinary [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f].
Others:
[name_f]Antigone[/name_f]
[name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f]
[name_f]Aloisa[/name_f]
[name_f]Begonia[/name_f]
[name_f]Andromeda[/name_f]
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Lavinia[/name_f]
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f]
[name_f]Thomasina[/name_f]
[name_f]Amaryllis[/name_f]

1 Like

I had no idea there were also elements for Chinese Zodiac signs! I had to do a quick google, im a [name_m]Wood[/name_m] [name_m]Rooster[/name_m] :grin:
Anyways! Coming back on track, I would think of…
[name_f]Narcissa[/name_f]
Olympias
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] (definitely!)
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]

1 Like

Petra was my overwhelming first thought, and I see it’s been on your list as well! Because it comes from the Greek petros meaning stone, I really think it fits your description. [name_m]Stone[/name_m] is strong, rugged, and dependable; however, it will break under too much pressure/strain. Stones can also be beautiful in an ordinary, modest way. The image of a stone being smoothed by water rushing over it also seems particularly relevant to your description, though I can’t pinpoint the exact reason.

2 Likes

From names i know you like, Rosemerta and [name_f]Petra[/name_f] sprung to mind. Otherwise I’m feeling [name_f]Lucy[/name_f]/Lucianne, [name_f]Hermione[/name_f], [name_f]Olympia[/name_f], [name_f]Embla[/name_f] and [name_f]Hannelore[/name_f]

1 Like

Octavia!!! Most definitely

1 Like

I didn’t even know next year was an [name_m]Ox[/name_m] year. :blush: I’m a [name_m]Wood[/name_m] [name_m]Ox[/name_m].
Some names you’ve mentioned that bring to mind those qualities:

Petra
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
Menodora
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Cornelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosamund[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucasta[/name_f]
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f]
[name_f]Thilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Titania[/name_f]
[name_f]Proserpina[/name_f]

Others:

Io
[name_f]Guinevere[/name_f]
[name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Bronwen[/name_f]
[name_f]Demelza[/name_f]
[name_f]Gretchen[/name_f]
[name_f]Eugenia[/name_f]

1 Like

From names I know are on your list, I think [name_f]Octavia[/name_f] or [name_f]Petra[/name_f] would be a great fit, this is kind of how I picture them. Other names that seem at least somewhat similar to your general style that have this feel: [name_f]Thais[/name_f], [name_f]Isadora[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f], [name_f]Leonor[/name_f]. Also [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] but idk if you’d like that, it’s a wild card but I like it and I think it gives off this vibe.

1 Like

Oh wow. I do like to read about the Chinese zodiac sometimes, but I’ve never thought to match names based on the zodiac’s characters. It’s certainly interesting to think about though. I am a water monkey (and you too, IIRC). [name_f]Do[/name_f] you think your own name reflects your zodiac’s personality?

Anyway, back to metal ox. I agree with previous posters who mentioned [name_f]Petra[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]. Other names that come to mind:
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Leonore[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_f]Jade[/name_f]
[name_f]Ariadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Hestia[/name_f]
[name_f]Alethea[/name_f]
[name_f]Evadne[/name_f]
[name_f]Lysandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Ginevra[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliana[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliana[/name_f] / [name_u]Julianne[/name_u]
[name_f]Diana[/name_f]

1 Like

Names I remember you’ve mentioned:
[name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_f]Teresa[/name_f]
Olympias
[name_f]Petra[/name_f]
Perenelle
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]

Others:
[name_f]Alcmene[/name_f]
[name_f]Alcyone[/name_f]
[name_u]Marian[/name_u]
[name_f]Agrafena[/name_f]
[name_f]Faustina[/name_f]
[name_f]Drusilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Marta[/name_f]
[name_f]Berenice[/name_f]
[name_f]Margareta[/name_f]
Mariamne
Bethsabée
Cassiopée (!)
[name_f]Kassiani[/name_f]
[name_f]Demetria[/name_f]
[name_f]Perpetua[/name_f]
Chryseis
[name_f]Briseis[/name_f]
[name_f]Sibyl[/name_f]

2 Likes

Absolutely! For this reason, I think [name_f]Agate[/name_f] and [name_f]Agatta[/name_f] (favorites of mine) also fit.

@gracegillian, I love your little list and every name on it! Thank you!

@lateaugust, I’m glad to see [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f], [name_f]Wilhelmina[/name_f], [name_f]Circe[/name_f], [name_f]Antigone[/name_f], and [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] here.

@Greyblue, [name_f]Embla[/name_f] :100:

@whatchamacallit, wow, so many of my names DO fit this description. I mean… we have established names can fit multiple people and personalities but I’m surprised so many of mine are here… and yet, they do totally fit.
Also totally agree with [name_f]Demelza[/name_f], [name_f]Gretchen[/name_f], and [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f].

2 Likes

@findemaxa13, ooh, [name_f]Thais[/name_f] and [name_f]Leonor[/name_f], completely. I also agree with [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] fitting this description, although she is one I wouldn’t choose myself.

Hmm, well I happen to know it was something my mom tangentially considered when naming me. I was born mid-[name_f]February[/name_f] (in a year when lunar [name_u]New[/name_u] Year was early [name_f]February[/name_f]). [name_f]Clothilde[/name_f] was on my mom’s shortlist but when she thought of the zodiac she thought it fit a [name_m]Ram[/name_m] (had I been born a few days earlier) better than a Monkey. I think I agree though I’d still love to be [name_f]Clothilde[/name_f]. Idk how close [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] fits but I guess it is an intelligent-sounding name, so maybe?

Oh yes, [name_f]Jade[/name_f], [name_f]Ariadne[/name_f], [name_f]Hestia[/name_f], [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f]! Pleasantly surprised to see [name_f]Julianna[/name_f] here, too.

@acajou, funny you should mention [name_f]Faustina[/name_f] as I was JUST contemplating [name_f]Faustine[/name_f] yesterday before I posted this thread. [name_f]Alcmene[/name_f]! [name_f]Briseis[/name_f] and [name_f]Sibyl[/name_f], totally.

1 Like

Yeah, [name_f]Lilian[/name_f] does fit as an intelligent-sounding name. :slight_smile: I was born in late [name_u]June[/name_u], so there was no doubt my zodiac would be the water monkey. There was no way they considered it though as my dad had secretly picked my name many years before I was born. [name_f]My[/name_f] entire family is of Chinese descent and we sometimes look into the zodiacs to see characters. But now that I think about it, I remember our grandparent’s generation did consider the elements part in names. They believed if a name (and its elements) isn’t suitable for the kid, then the kid is more likely to get sick. It’s an old belief which I never really heard of anymore though, and they only really considered our Chinese names and not really any other international ones.

1 Like

This is why H still doesn’t have a Chinese name three years later. We said we would give his great-grandmother the honor of choosing, and asked her to choose before his [name_u]Red[/name_u] Egg and [name_f]Ginger[/name_f] Party when he was 6 weeks old. She didn’t, because she couldn’t match the zodiac and elements on her own. She asked us to wait until she could get her third cousin to take his birth information to a fortuneteller for his name, but then she died before that actually happened as far as I know.

I picked HF out years beforehand. I had many dates starting and ending about three weeks before/after his duedate that would have changed the names in some ways, but he was born on a “regular” day on my calendar. We chose it in part for its generic “auspiciousness” of meaning, and I do think it would fit any zodiac or any element.

I am fascinated by the intersection of personality, timing, and naming, though. It’s fun to think about.

I guess that’s one of the reasons why I always find Chinese names a lot more difficult than western ones, lol. Iirc my mom picked my Chinese name just because she likes it, but it wasn’t “finalized” until my grandma visited a fortune-teller (or maybe just someone who understands how to match the birth information and elements. I really dunno). I am not sure whether to pick a Chinese name for future kids anyway in honour of heritage or just let it go because finding a fortune-teller first is such a chore.

Oh really? So you would change your pick in case HF (or future baby) was born early or late? Would you regret it though, in case your actual top choice isn’t used because of the zodiac and element don’t match?

1 Like

This is a cool concept! Apparently I’m a [name_m]Wood[/name_m] Pig :thinking: it sounds pretty fitting for me!

For your potential Metal [name_m]Ox[/name_m], I’d say [name_f]Petra[/name_f] is a great fit! I also get [name_u]Tempest[/name_u] vibes, and not from your list;

Temperance
[name_f]Clemence[/name_f]
[name_f]Philippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Katia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mathilde[/name_f]

1 Like