Michella or Michelle?

My hubby is really set on [name]Michelle[/name]. I think its ok I guess but I grew up with an abundance of Michelles so I would love to spice it up a little. Usually the “elle” names are a hit when you add an a, like [name]Gabriella[/name], [name]Rochella[/name], [name]Ariella[/name], etc. But with [name]Michelle[/name] everyone is telling me it sounds cheesy and made up. We speak Russian and so typically those [name]Baby[/name] Michelles were called [name]Michella[/name] in Russian, I dont see why I cant use it as an offical name, but based on the responses I have gotten from family and friends about it i am thinking maybe its a bad idea. Any thoughts guys? I dont wanna make my kids life more difficult on the premise of creativity…

Anyone lol

Oops! I missed this post! :slight_smile:

[name]Michella[/name] or [name]Michelle[/name]? I understand what you’re going for with [name]Michella[/name], but at first glance I thought the “a” was meant to be an “e” for [name]Michelle[/name] (this was before I saw [name]Michelle[/name] as the next option). I’ve never seen [name]Michella[/name] before, and I’m wondering if it’s pronounced Mish-ella or Mik-ella. [name]Even[/name] though it’s popular, is [name]Michaela[/name] an option for you? Or [name]Marielle[/name]? (I think you wanted to stick with [name]Michelle[/name]…)

Between [name]Michella[/name] and [name]Michelle[/name], I think I’d go with [name]Michelle[/name] due to spelling (and possible pronunciation) issues. That said, I don’t think that [name]Michella[/name] is too hard to grasp and learn, and if it’s what you love, I think it’s a lovely way to honor your Russian heritage.

Have you thought about the Russian [name]Misha[/name] as a nickname? (Granted, it’s associated with [name]Mischa[/name] [name]Barton[/name], but I still think it’s cute.) :slight_smile:

Good luck, [name]Jessy[/name]! :slight_smile:

Yes def! [name]Michelle[/name] or [name]Michella[/name], [name]Misha[/name] is def a nickname!! For [name]Michella[/name], it would be pronounced Mish-ella. I did consider [name]Michaela[/name]/[name]Mikayla[/name] but its really popular and then my avoidance of the over-popular [name]Michelle[/name] I view will just be the over popular [name]Mikayla[/name] for her generation. Thanks [name]Jill[/name]!

You’re going to use [name]Misha[/name]? Yea! I think it’s adorable! :slight_smile: I completely agree with your reasoning regarding [name]Michaela[/name]. (I was just trying to find an acceptable Mic name with an A ending for you!)

If [name]Michella[/name] is Mish-ella, I’m going to go with [name]Michelle[/name]. I don’t think that [name]Michella[/name] is awful or anything, but with [name]Michelle[/name]'s popularity, [name]Michella[/name] seems (like you said) like a creative attempt that could create annoying problems for your little girl.

I’m curious to hear what others think!

Take care! :slight_smile:

You’re going to use [name]Misha[/name]? Yea! I think it’s adorable! :slight_smile: I completely agree with your reasoning regarding [name]Michaela[/name]. (I was just trying to find an acceptable Mic name with an A ending for you!)

If [name]Michella[/name] is Mish-ella, I’m going to go with [name]Michelle[/name]. I don’t think that [name]Michella[/name] is awful or anything, but with [name]Michelle[/name]'s popularity, [name]Michella[/name] seems (like you said) like a creative attempt that could create annoying problems for your little girl.

I’m curious to hear what others think!

Take care! :-)[/quote]

Another option that is along similar lines is [name]Michaella[/name] (mich-ala … long a). Not sure on spelling, but I have heard it a couple times and think it is lovely. Different, but not quite as made-up sounding as the ella ending.

My sisters name is michelle and my name is meryl. She has said many times “I wish I had a more unusual name like yours”. There are so many michelle’s that we had to give my sis a nick name “belle” from the beatles song. She likes that much better.

I wonder if [name]Michelle[/name]'s one of those generational things? I knew a few Michelles growing up, but I haven’t come across any baby Michelles, so it might be more unique within her generation. I love the name (largely because of that Beatles song!) and the nickname [name]Misha[/name]. Although [name]Michella[/name]'s nice, I’d go for the classic [name]Michelle[/name] (and you can always call her [name]Michella[/name] as a pet name) but it will avoid spelling and pronunciation confusion for her.
Congratulations and good luck!

I’d go with [name]Michelle[/name], for the avoidance of it sounding made up, and for spelling issues (because in Germany, [name]Michelle[/name] would be pronounced [name]Michella[/name], and they may just think you’re from a country which does similarly).

I really like the suggestion of [name]Michaela[/name], too, but it has been butchered by all those McKaylas, Mickaylas etc.

Good luck!

I also like [name]Michelle[/name] over [name]Michella[/name]. But have you considered Michellina?

Is Michellina pronounced Mik-e-lina or Mish-e-lina?

I find [name]Michelle[/name] very dated, and [name]Michella[/name] too contrived.

Have you considered [name]Michaela[/name]? I also like the suggestion of [name]Misha[/name].

I am a [name]Michelle[/name] and often wished my name was different - went through several changes in nn over the years…anyway a friend of mine is Russian and her name is Mihaela (without the “c”) - really like how it looks and sounds. Changing the “e” to an “a” for [name]Michella[/name] looks unbalanced to me. Good luck with your choice!

Mihaela is quite lovely, thanks for the suggestion.

Michellina is usually pronounced Mik, but I wonder if you could get away with pronouncing it Mish?

I am a [name]Michelle[/name] and never hated my name even though it was extremely popular. My husband’s family also comes from Russian heritage and his grandmother used to call me [name]Misha[/name]. If you are set on the name, I would go for [name]Michelle[/name] but call her [name]Misha[/name] (to be more modern and honor your heritage). In the future, she may go by [name]Michelle[/name]. I doubt it will be very common among her peers. Best of luck!

Thanks turquoisekitty!! I agree!

I am a “[name]Michelle[/name]” (born in 1979) and have always liked my name. I have never known too many, which is odd, because my generation is the peak of the [name]Michelle[/name] boom =)

I think [name]Michelle[/name] would actually be a unique choice these days…I haven’t seen a [name]Baby[/name] [name]Michelle[/name] since Full House!

I have to say, I am not a huge fan of [name]Michella[/name]-it just looks like a typo to me.

Good luck with your little girl - whatever name you choose will work out in the end :slight_smile:

I thought I’d chime in as someone who was given a name associated with my parents’ and grandparents’ generation (technically sort of between them). Having a name that was “unique” because it was more common among preceding generations was not a positive kind of unique–it just meant I had an outdated name, a “mom” or “old lady” name (and not the kind a hipster would admire!). I fear a [name]Michelle[/name] among [name]Emma[/name], [name]Ava[/name], and [name]Sophia[/name] would not feel special so much as out of style.

[name]Michaela[/name] and Mihaela are gorgeous (and stylish) alternatives, though! The latter is genuinely more unique, and still honors your heritage.