Middle name Camillys?

We are expecting our sixth kiddo in [name]October[/name], a girl, and she will be named [name]Marigold[/name].

Camillus is a family name that I’ve been longing to use for the last 9 years, and since I’m getting older I figure the sixth kid is as good a time as any. :slight_smile:

Camillus will be pronounced Kuh-MILL-iss

My only issues are:

1. Camillus is a male name ([name]Saint[/name]) although in my family it was a nun who had that name, therefore it has female associations for us.
  2. I keep hesitating on spelling it Camillus or Camillys, to make it a bit more feminine.
  3. With an out of the ordinary first name like [name]Marigold[/name], I’m wondering if another out of the ordinary middle name is a bit too much (though in our families Camillus won’t seem anything BUT ordinary)
  4. While [name]Marigold[/name] doesn’t match my other girls’ names at all, it does slightly bother me that they have such pretty, feminine names, while [name]Marigold[/name] will have a masculine middle.

But I’m finding it difficult to let go of Camillus, because I have deep affections for that name and have wanted to use it for a long time.

Thoughts? Thanks!

To me, Camillys is EXTREMELY feminine! Girly, lovely, and perfect with [name]Marigold[/name] – my own #1 choice. :smiley:

Well, dang. I thought how awesome that you loved [name]Marigold[/name] too, and searched on here for the name to see if it was becoming too popular, and found a post commenting that the new upcoming NBC show has a girl in it named [name]Marigold[/name]. It premieres Sept, and I’m not due till Oct, so everyone will think I copied the dang show.

This bites. I’ve loved [name]Marigold[/name] since I was in the sixth grade! :frowning:

What are your thoughts?

I’m pleased that you think Camillys sounds/looks feminine. Makes me feel better about the name. :slight_smile:

I think Camyllis is 100% feminine and lovely. It would be perfect with [name]Marigold[/name], if you ask me!

I am dying to know what your other kids’ names are…:slight_smile:

In Latin male words end in -us and female words in -a. (like [name]Lucia[/name] & [name]Lucius[/name] for instance).
To me it would make more sense to use the female version of the same name: [name]Camilla[/name].
[name]Camilla[/name] is beautiful, well known and less creative then putting a trendy and random ‘y’ in there.
[name]Just[/name] my two cents!

I know, random, but I’m not willing to compromise since Camillus is the family name, not [name]Camilla[/name] or [name]Camille[/name] (neither of which I care for, anyway) :slight_smile:

In that case I would stick with Camillus! :slight_smile:

This is off-topic, but can I ask what the rest of your children are named? [name]Marigold[/name] is such a bold, fabulous choice, I’m interested to see what she would look like in a sibset. :smiley:

Suffice it to say, [name]Augusta[/name] lee, that [name]Marigold[/name] doesn’t “match”. But she’s her own person so I’m not concerned. :slight_smile:

Bumping this for more thoughts. I am really struggling on this one. Thanks!

Adding: struggling because I don’t want to look like I’m trying to be trendy with a Y, yet at the same time really, really don’t like the U. It just looks painfully masculine to me.

[name]Marigold[/name] Camillus is wonderful!
I urge you to really consider Camillus lovely and feminine (in your own family, that’s the history, no less!)
Camillus has the family history.
Middle names are looked at so little in any case.
[name]Marigold[/name] is clearly feminine.
And honestly, even though it ends in “us”, most people are going to think [name]Camille[/name]/[name]Camilla[/name] when they read Camillus, and be done and think it feminine.

If you really can’t get around the us…[name]May[/name] I suggest Camillis? It looks less like the tryndee y, and googling around De Camillis appears to actually be a common enough surname, and so it feels more grounded.

Camillis looks feminine to me, a la [name]Phyllis[/name], [name]Doris[/name], [name]Mavis[/name], [name]Maris[/name], [name]Damaris[/name], [name]Alexis[/name] (well, OK, that one’s uni-ish but heavily feminine nowadays), [name]Wallis[/name], and I feel like more I’m forgetting.

At the very end of the day you love Camillys…it’s not like Camillus is a trendy name, so this bothers me a lot less than say Maddysyn or something.

Good luck!

Bumping.

I SO appreciate all the answers so far! Thank you!

We are a month away from the due date so I need more input! :slight_smile:

Personally, there is no such thing as a “feminine” spelling in my opinion. Who made the rule that a “y” is more feminine than a “u”? I don’t get this modern trend and I don’t see the point of changing a legitimate spelling that has been used for males and females. [name]Just[/name] go with [name]Marigold[/name] Camillus. Many girls have masculine family names in the middle spot so it’s no big deal. [name]How[/name] often do we use our middle names anyway?

I should have given an update: I am now more leaning toward Camillus than Camillys, Camillis or Camyllis.
My main hang up is that it’s a boys name, an uncommon one at that, and just looks so unfeminine to me (albeit very familiar) so I guess what I’m mostly saying is that I’m worried what OTHERS will think.