middle name dilemma

Hey everyone, I posted a few weeks ago asking for opinions on the name [name]Raphael[/name]. That passed the test and is going to be our baby’s first name, but now the middle name is being a bit tricky. My husband ab-so-lutely insists on [name]Jackson[/name]. I actually like the name, but it’s sooo trendy right now, and trendy has never really been my taste, whether for names or any other part of life! But since that’s my only real problem with it and it’s the middle name – not the first – I think I can deal with it and make hubby happy. But does anyone see any other problems with the flow of [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Jackson[/name]? He’s due in two weeks…Thanks so much!

Unless your surname is a two syllable and he’ll be addressed as [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] on a fairly regular basis (I call out my daughter’s middles quite often at home), I see no major problem with the flow of [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Jackson[/name].

I wonder why he’s stuck on a surnamey thing? Have you tried offering [name]John[/name] as a middle, in place (since [name]John[/name] = [name]Jack[/name] - [name]Jack[/name]'s son = [name]Jackson[/name]). I find the clash between classic [name]Raphael[/name] & trendy, surname [name]Jackson[/name] a bit jarring myself but not so much that I’d discount it if he really loved it. But if I really loved a name and he didn’t, I’d offer “Come up with a compromise” few suggestions and try there.

Overall though, there’s no major problem with [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Jackson[/name].

I kind of think “jarring” too about the combination. Actually it has nothing to do with surnames. This might sound funny, but he loves the name [name]Jackson[/name] because of the [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name] song. He’s a huge [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name] fan, and even wants to name our someday-dog San [name]Quentin[/name] (or one of those jails [name]Johnny[/name] sings about). So maybe your suggestion [name]John[/name] is a possible compromise, however it’s always been a little boring for me.

And yes, our last name has two syllables. Sigh. Maybe I should go search a [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name] song list. hehe.

Why not search out a list like that? A name from a [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name] song (as long as it’s not [name]Sue[/name]!) would be a fun link to Papa’s favorite musician. (Mine wants [name]Floyd[/name], for [name]Pink[/name] [name]Floyd[/name], I told him no way! Not [name]Roger[/name], either!)

Did you know [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name] was born J. R. [name]Cash[/name] and didn’t become [name]John[/name] R. [name]Cash[/name] until joining the [name]Army[/name]?

I’ve been googling for a “list of names from [name]Johnny[/name] cash songs” but am having no luck so far. I have found [name]Porter[/name] & [name]Bill[/name] ([name]William[/name]) though and I think [name]Cash[/name] itself would make a pretty awesome middle for the gorgeous [name]Raphael[/name]!
[name]Just[/name] trying to help here, I hope it’s working. :smiley:

It IS a help. And I appreciate the [name]Pink[/name] [name]Floyd[/name] detail, that made me smile. [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Cash[/name] is a great suggestion, but our last name ends with sh and I think the combo would sound kind of weird. BTW I approached hubby and he totally understood, which makes me want to find a good solution because I do like to make him happy :)…I think I need to get creative here and start googling. If you think of anything else, do tell!

[name]How[/name] about [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Sue[/name] from A Boy Named [name]Sue[/name]? Ha! [name]Just[/name] kidding!

Here are a couple of cash-related names:
[name]Rusty[/name] ([name]Rusty[/name] Cage)
[name]Laredo[/name] (Streets of [name]Laredo[/name])
[name]Porter[/name] (Hey [name]Porter[/name])
[name]Green[/name] ([name]Green[/name] [name]Green[/name] Grass of Home)
Carpenter (If I Were a Carpenter)
[name]Abner[/name] [name]Brown[/name]
[name]Austin[/name] ([name]Austin[/name] Prison)
[name]Joshua[/name] ([name]Joshua[/name] Gone Barbados)
[name]Matthew[/name] (24 is knocking at the door)
[name]Sam[/name] [name]Hall[/name]
[name]Baron[/name] (The [name]Baron[/name])
[name]Lee[/name] (the [name]General[/name] [name]Lee[/name])
[name]Jordan[/name] (I won’t have to cross [name]Jordan[/name] Alone)

I like [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Porter[/name] and [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Lee[/name]!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name]! What a great way to find a middle!

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

Why not [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Quentin[/name]?

[name]Raphael[/name] [name]Quentin[/name] and [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Porter[/name] are my favs so far!

[name]Raphael[/name] [name]Duke[/name]!

[name]Raphael[/name] [name]Quentin[/name] is awesome, [name]Melissa[/name]!

[name]Raphael[/name] [name]Quentin[/name] gets my vote, now that’s awesome! [name]Quentin[/name] always makes me think of San [name]Quentin[/name], so yeah, [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name] is like, the second thought, right behind that!

I have to go with [name]Susan[/name] on this one! [name]Duke[/name] is a great middle name, and definitely works for [name]Raphael[/name] :slight_smile:

Thanks, it’s so much fun to read your responses!
These are good:

[name]Raphael[/name] [name]Duke[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name] [name]Porter[/name]
[name]Raphael[/name] [name]Quentin[/name]

I think I could love [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Quentin[/name]. It’s just that [name]Quentin[/name]'s what my husband wants to name the future dog! He’ll probably see the light though. Between a son due in two weeks vs. a dog that is only a fantasy I think we have a clear winner :slight_smile:

Great name! :slight_smile:

Keep us posted!

What about [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Cassius[/name]? It flows nicely, has the same style, and sounds like [name]Cash[/name]!

ooooooh good one [name]Jill[/name]!

Thanks, [name]Erin[/name]! :slight_smile:

I brought up the suggestions and my man said “Nope, if it can’t be [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Jackson[/name], it’s going to be [name]Raphael[/name] [name]John[/name].” And I was so disappointed! I’m afraid to fight him on it. I had to fight to get a middle name in the first place (he’s not American, doesn’t have a middle name himself, and his family has been asking why all the stress over it?)

Oh well, it could be worse. I’m of the opinion anyway that [name]Raphael[/name] makes the combo beautiful, artistic, and slightly uncommon, and there’s nothing wrong with [name]John[/name] besides “normal.” By the way, I appreciate your help, and I’ve had lots of fun reading all the posts and your responses over the past few weeks. This is a great site and I might pop in again!

If I can jump in with a last minute opinion, I think either [name]Raphael[/name] [name]Jackson[/name] or [name]Raphael[/name] [name]John[/name] work fine and if they really make your husband and your son’s father happy, they’re wonderful choices! Let Dad have his choice…and who knows, maybe instead of a dog, you’ll end up with a second son with the wonderful name [name]Quentin[/name].