middle name for a Jewish baby

A good friend of mine is pregnant, and just found out it’s a boy. She has decided on a first name, and wanted to have the middle name be [name]Michael[/name], after her father. But my friend’s husband, who is Jewish, says that it is not good to name the baby after a living relative. I’m not familiar with this tradition, but I want to help my friend find a new middle name for the baby. I was thinking a variation of [name]Michael[/name] would work, like [name]Micah[/name] or [name]Mitchell[/name], but I don’t know if that is different enough for this Jewish tradition. I know some of you here on nameberry are Jewish, and I would love it if you could let me know more about this. Also, would a name that means “father” work? Thanks for your help!

[name]Hi[/name]! I’m Jewish, and so is my husband, and my twins. I have always loved Jewish names and here are a few suggestive middle names:

[name]Abba[/name] (means “father”, also band name from Mama [name]Mia[/name]!)
[name]Avi[/name] (also means “father”)
[name]Bram[/name] (although it is the Dutch variation of [name]Abraham[/name], means “father of multitudes”)
[name]Eliab[/name] (“God is my father”. . . . Could that work?)

Sorry, I’ve got to hurry. But good luck! :slight_smile: !!

Oh, and I like [name]Micah[/name] and [name]Mitchel[/name]. :slight_smile: !!

three more

Aviner My father is a lamp
[name]Aviram[/name] My father is mighty
[name]Avner[/name] Father of light

Is there a great-grandfather that they could use for the middle name instead?

I’m Jewish, and some Jewish people I know have named children after living relatives and some (actually, the vast majority) haven’t. (I guess it’s a personal thing, although your friend’s husband is right that Jewish people usually don’t name babies after living relatives).

It’s a Jewish tradition to name children after deceased loved ones by using either the person’s given name or his or her initials. (For example, I’m named after my grandma, [name]Jeanne[/name].)

If your friend’s husband doesn’t want the baby to be named after a living relative, any name in honor of his wife’s living father (be it [name]Mitchell[/name], [name]Micah[/name], or even an M initial in his honor) would technically still be off limits.

If he’s flexible and open to other variations or M names aside from [name]Michael[/name], I love the ideas of [name]Mitchell[/name] or [name]Micah[/name].

Some more M names:

[name]Maxwell[/name]
[name]Milo[/name]
[name]Miles[/name]

Has she considered giving the baby her maiden name as a middle name? I know of many Jewish people who have done this, and it ould be a way of honoring her father and ancestors without using [name]Michael[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Thank you all so much for your input! I’m going to tell me friend your suggestions. It was so helpful to hear from you all :slight_smile:

Try something modern and traditionally Jewish.
[name]Jude/name
[name]Cory[/name]
Makayah (micah)
Raph([name]Raphael[/name])
[name]Eli[/name]
etc.