Middle name for Calliope?

[name]Hi[/name]!

Hoping someone has some interesting ideas or perspective on a middle name for such a fancy moniker as [name]Calliope[/name] (or [name]Kalliope[/name] haven’t decided which spelling yet).

So far, I have these possibles:

[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Hope[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Joy[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Jewel[/name]

But, it’s such a big name it speaks for itself. It’s almost like too much is too much?!

It could also be that [name]Calliope[/name] (nn [name]Callia[/name]) is officially the middle name, and I could be looking for a first name…

Last name [name]Taylor[/name], if helps.

Thank you for any input!

Quick thoughts:

Please use the [name]Calliope[/name] spelling, and not [name]Kalliope[/name].
Please don’t use [name]Hope[/name] as a mn. [name]Say[/name] it out loud a few times and you’ll see what I mean: [name]Calliope[/name] [name]Hope[/name]?
[name]Calliope[/name] & [name]Scarlett[/name] seem very very different to be paired together, and [name]Calliope[/name] [name]Jewel[/name] sounds too new age for me. So of your list, I like [name]Calliope[/name] [name]Joy[/name] the best.

You seem to like what I call “Noun Names” for middle names so some suggestions:
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (sure it’s a common middle name but it’s a classic and it balances [name]Calliope[/name] nicely)

[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Plum[/name] (if you are feeling adventurous)

[name]Calliope[/name] [name]True[/name] (I think [name]True[/name] [name]Taylor[/name] sounds lovely, and it’s an alternative to your [name]Joy[/name]/[name]Hope[/name] choices. I think the crisp sound of [name]True[/name] works nicely with the more flowery lyrical [name]Calliope[/name])

[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Rae[/name] (like a ray of sun, joyful)

[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Blythe[/name] (I thought [name]Joy[/name] -> [name]Bliss[/name] -> [name]Blythe[/name] although I’m probably pronouncing it wrong)

[name]Rose[/name] and [name]True[/name] are my 2 favorites by far.

Yes, I agree with the pp to spell it [name]Calliope[/name] with a “C”. The [name]Kalliope[/name] spelling looks odd to me and takes away much of the charm. From your list, [name]Calliope[/name] [name]Joy[/name] is the best pairing. Here are some other suggestions. Good luck!
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]June[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Ruth[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Lane[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Wren[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Paige[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Eve[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Faith[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Dove[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Fern[/name]

[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Raina[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Marissa[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Elise[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Brooke[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Autumn[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Hannah[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Dawn[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Morgan[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Jude[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Sage[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Maren[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Raven[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Harper[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Alexis[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Annabelle[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Dara[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Juno[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Anna[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Meadow[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Noa[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Quinn[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Gemma[/name] [name]Taylor[/name]

I am actually considering this name as well the middle names I am considering are…

[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Odessa[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Odette[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Isadora[/name]
and
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Arabel[/name] (my favorite)

Thank you so much everyone for your input! You have all come up with some lovely suggestions.

moxielove, I laugh because I have the same hesitations you mentioned. I am loth to “klass” things up with a K, but it was spelled with a K on a Greek names list; [name]Jewel[/name] is too new age, and … actually I don’t love the middle names I proposed, but I think [name]Calliope[/name] is tough to partner.

I think [name]Rose[/name] does balance it out, is pretty, but it’s been used too much for my taste. I like odder names like [name]Petra[/name], [name]Lucia[/name] and [name]Mercy[/name]. But I don’t think they could be paired with [name]Calliope[/name]. :slight_smile:

So far, I like [name]June[/name] and, especially, [name]Juno[/name]. Interesting that there are so many J’s… [name]Rubi[/name], those are nice names. My best friend suggested [name]Isadora[/name] (and also [name]Juno[/name]).

My concern is [name]Calliope[/name] does not like to share the spotlight. Is this my own quirk? I do want a middle name.

Thanks again for everyone’s input! I really appreciate it.

I really like the suggestion of [name]Calliope[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] two soft, sweet names together.

Otter Pop! [name]Glad[/name] you finally made it to nameberry! :smiley:

Ok, so [name]Rose[/name] is out due to overuse. Noted. My other thoughts (as you’ll see on your phone in a minute, I presume) are

[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Rue[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Wren[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Teal[/name] (but now that I’m thinking clearly [name]Teal[/name] [name]Taylor[/name] is funny sounding!)
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Noah[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Stella[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Reese[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Mila[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Cypress[/name] (the C-p might be too much, though!)
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Nola[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Rowen[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Seren[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Nia[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Seneca[/name] (my current fave: [name]Calliope[/name] [name]Seneca[/name] [name]Taylor[/name])

<3

The K on Greek name lists is interesting. Greek as I’m sure you know uses a different alphabet, so probably the letter that starts of [name]Calliope[/name] “looks” like a K. But this name is already well-known, at least among people with a specific kind of education, with the spelling [name]Calliope[/name], so [name]Kalliope[/name] looks very odd. This is because she was the muse of epic poetry, and it’s also a musical instrument, both with a c spelling.

In English, k really serves to produce the hard c sound before i and e (think about kill vs. cilia, [name]Ken[/name] vs. cent), because c will sound like s there, and it’s used after a short vowel + c I think because of a no-longer-relevant spelling tradition to contrast visually with k used between long vowel and silent e (i.e. back but bake, lack but late etc.). [name]Calliope[/name] is not in either of those situations, so the K looks “unnecessary”. C is a much more widely-used English letter, and this is why kreateev is spelled with a K : D. Now, granted, in [name]Catherine[/name]/[name]Katherine[/name] the K has become so widespread for so very long that both options look perfectly fine, but I don’t think that’s the case for most Greek names that begin with that sound (i.e. [name]Cassandra[/name] looks more grounded than [name]Kassandra[/name], [name]Calista[/name] looks more grounded than [name]Kalista[/name]). There might be some other examples I’m forgetting where the c and the k are both used with equal groundedness, but I don’t think there are too many.

I think [name]Calliope[/name] can share the stage just fine with a middle name; the middle name doesn’t have to come out very often or anything. [name]Calliope[/name] to me feels like a less familiar [name]Penelope[/name] in some ways, so you might see what combos other posters have come up with for [name]Penelope[/name]. [name]Calliope[/name] is a very “perky” name to me, so for one syllable names I really like [name]Calliope[/name] [name]Jane[/name], which is spunky yet classy like [name]Calliope[/name], although it does kind of make me think of Calamity [name]Jane[/name] : D. [name]Calliope[/name] [name]Helen[/name] is very Greek, and yet [name]Helen[/name] is very accessible, and, while two syllables, sort of quick to say. I also like [name]Helen[/name] [name]Calliope[/name] (more than [name]Jane[/name] [name]Calliope[/name]).

I’m excited to see this pretty name likely getting some use! Best wishes!

My daughter’s name is [name]Calliope[/name]. Her full name is [name]Calliope[/name] [name]Jade[/name] [name]Silk[/name], my husband and I thought that a one syllable middle name would suit her name the best.

You can also think of what the name means (beautiful voice) and try and find a middle name that goes with it.

Here is a good website that I like to diddle with now and again… behindthename.com. You can type in a name to get the meaning of type in a meaning and get all the names that mean the word that you typed. Keep in mind that some off the names will be much different, there’s many different cultures and languages for this site and there’s name for all of them.

Now let’s see some things off the top of my head:
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Jade[/name] :slight_smile:
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Lynn[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Ava[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Calliope[/name] [name]Noel[/name]

Have you thought about not giving her a middle name? If you’re having such a hard time finding the right name why not just ditch it? A lot of people don’t have one. I would never do it, but maybe it’d be right for you. Or you could try pairing it with a similar seeming name such as [name]Calliope[/name] Chamomile if you wanted something to really be something haha. I like it with [name]True[/name] though, too.