Middle Name for Joel - Last Name Begins "Esp..."

Hello! We’ve settled on the name name [name]Joel[/name] for our baby boy, but we’re still undecided about his middle name. I’m thinking [name]Michael[/name], to honor my dad and my brother-in-law whom I love very much. Does [name]Joel[/name] [name]Michael[/name] work despite both names ending in “L”?

Our Norwegian last name is a toughie, both in spelling and pronunciation. It’s pronounced “Ess-puh-set”.

I also like [name]Joel[/name] [name]Beck[/name], just because I like the way it sounds, but there’s no personal meaning to us other than [name]Beck[/name] being one of our favorite musicians.

His initials are a consideration - the only middle ones I’d go for are B, D, F, M, P, Q, V, or W. (I just don’t like certain combos, but also don’t want to him to have the same middle initial as my husband, my daughter or me since all of our names start with J.)

So, assuming I haven’t lost you by now with my pickiness, any ideas? Preference of [name]Joel[/name] [name]Michael[/name] vs. [name]Joel[/name] [name]Beck[/name]?

Thanks in advance!

[name]Jenny[/name] :slight_smile:

I would go with [name]Michael[/name]. I think it’s always good to go with a family name over one you just like. I have a family middle and love it, even though I don’t like the name itself. The sentiment behind it makes it a good name to me. Plus I think [name]Joel[/name] [name]Michael[/name] “Ess-puh-set” sounds better than [name]Joel[/name] [name]Beck[/name]. Because [name]Joel[/name] and [name]Michael[/name] are a different number of syllables the L thing doesn’t really bother me, and I like [name]Beck[/name], but [name]Joel[/name] [name]Beck[/name] sounds a bit brief and monosyllabic, and I don’t like the assonance of “[name]Beck[/name] Ess-puh-set.” I love [name]Joel[/name]- great choice!

i prefer [name]Joel[/name] [name]Michael[/name] a bit because [name]Joel[/name] [name]Beck[/name] seems to (slightly) rhyme with your last name when I say it out loud. (the [name]Beck[/name] and Ess puh set part I mean)

Thanks so much, [name]Daisy[/name] and CrunchyMama! I think I knew in my gut that [name]Michael[/name] is the right middle name for [name]Baby[/name] [name]Joel[/name], but felt a little pressure to try to find a “cooler”, more unusual middle for him. But you’re right, [name]Michael[/name] is the best! Thanks a million for your help!

[name]Jenny[/name] :slight_smile: