middle name for Mackinlee

I think that we have decided on MacKinlee but now I need help with middle names. He likes Mackinlee [name]Elizabeth[/name] but I think that is a mouth full HELP

[name]How[/name] about Mackinlee [name]Joy[/name], Mackinlee [name]Hope[/name], or Mackinlee [name]Rose[/name]?
I am reading Mackinlee as Mackin’-lee. Is that how you are going to pronounce it?

I read it as Ma-kin-lee.
What about:

Mackinlee [name]Ruth[/name]
Mackinlee [name]Violet[/name]
Mackinlee [name]Adelaide[/name]
Mackinlee [name]Jordana[/name]
Mackinlee [name]Scarlett[/name]

No it is pronounced Ma-kin-lee like [name]Mackenzie[/name]

I was going to spell it as Makinlee but everyone said that it needed the “C” to make it Mackinlee

So it’s like [name]McKinley[/name] (as in the president and cutest version of all McNames)? I think Mackinlee [name]Jane[/name] sounds nice, but it doesn’t look as good as Mackinlee [name]Rose[/name], [name]Hope[/name], or [name]Faith[/name].

I think that you’re right, this spelling is much better. Mackinlee [name]Rose[/name] was the 1st name to pop into my head, if the sweetie likes [name]Elizabeth[/name] what about Mackinlee [name]Beth[/name], Mackinlee [name]Lisle[/name] or Mackinlee [name]Eliza[/name]?

This is your baby, and and while you need to pick the name and spelling that work best for you, I wanted to let you know that even with the added “c,” I’m still mispronouncing the name.

When I see Mackinlee, I pronounce it “Mackin’-lee,” not “Ma-KIN-lee,” and I have to assume I’m not alone on this.

It’s one thing to change the spelling of a two syllable name, such as turning [name]Cayley[/name] into [name]Caylee[/name], but with a three-syllable name like [name]McKinley[/name], a change in spelling disrupts the name’s authentic pronunciation.

I saw Makinlee as “Makin’-lee,” which, as [name]Pam[/name] wrote, sounded like “Makin’ tea.” The added “c” does help correct the pronunciation of the “a”, but it does nothing to emphasize the middle syllable of the name.

If you have to change the ending to “ee,” McKinlee would solve the pronunciation problem. After a small c, the K (and the middle sylllable) is clearly emphasized.

I thought you’d want to know, as it would be a shame for people to mispronouce her name. I may be alone on this, but I still thought I should let you know. :slight_smile: Would you consider McKinlee?

More ideas:

Mackinlee [name]Belle[/name]
[name]McKinley[/name] [name]Blythe[/name]
[name]McKinley[/name] [name]Elise[/name]
[name]McKinley[/name] [name]Brooke[/name]
[name]McKinley[/name] [name]Paige[/name]
[name]McKinley[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (someone else suggested this, and I think it’s my favorite combination, along with the already suggested [name]McKinley[/name] [name]Hope[/name] and [name]McKinley[/name] [name]Faith[/name])
[name]McKinley[/name] [name]Sage[/name]
[name]McKinley[/name] [name]Tess[/name]
McKinely [name]Erin[/name]
[name]McKinley[/name] [name]Aveline[/name]
[name]McKinley[/name] [name]Avalon[/name]

I actually like [name]McKinley[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], and don’t find it a mouthful!

I am so glad because my husband is set on it. I am going to have to consider the spelling though because i would hate for her to go through life having to correct her name. Thanks and actually my other daughters name is [name]Caylee[/name], how funny for you to bring that up:)

OK I need more advice on the spelling I am all cofused now HELP

I’m really sorry if I’m causing you any stress regarding the pronunciation of Mackinlee, but I thought it was too important not to say anything.

Obviously, using the authentic [name]McKinley[/name] spelling would guarantee a correct pronunciation every time, but you really seem to like the “lee” ending, because you probably want her name to match her sister, [name]Caylee[/name]'s.

To me (and others), Makinlee is “Makin’-lee”, and Mackinlee is “Mackin-lee,” but McKinlee is clearly pronounced Ma-kin-lee, as only the ending of the name is spelled differently. With the small “c”, the middle syllable is clearly emphasized.

Granted, some people may be able to pronounce the other spellings the way you intend, but I (and I assume others) will mispronounce it.

Personally, I only like classic spellings of names, and [name]McKinley[/name] has an elegance not possessed by the other spellings. If you want to keep the “ee” theme, however, I’d go with McKinlee.

(And I really do like [name]Elizabeth[/name] with [name]McKinley[/name]/McKinlee/Mackinlee!) :slight_smile:

I knew a family with a daughter named McKay. When she was born, they named her [name]Mackay[/name]. A lot of people were pronouncing it [name]MACK[/name]-y, but the parents wanted it to be pronounced mick-[name]KAY[/name]. So they had to change the name on the birth certificate from [name]Mackay[/name] to [name]MacKay[/name] with a capitol K. They said it was a big hassle. They named their next daughter [name]Gwen[/name].
[name]Mackenzie[/name] is such a well known name now that people know how to pronounce it. But I think that Mackinlee is not nearly as well known, so it’s a good idea to spell it [name]McKinley[/name]. There are always going to be some people who have very little patience for taking the time to figure out how you want your child’s name pronounced. So this way-with a spelling that makes the pronunciation very clear-everybody who has half a brain will figure it out. Or you could go with McKinlee, but I prefer [name]McKinley[/name] because to me that is more classic and lovely. I wouldn’t worry about naming her after President [name]McKinley[/name] because most people don’t remember him that well. For me, the name makes me think of Mount [name]McKinley[/name] which is a very beautiful image, and I like all that strength and majesty bestowed on a little girl! I do like [name]McKinley[/name] with [name]Rose[/name] as a middle name because it softens and feminizes it a lot. [name]McKinley[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] is nice, too, unless your last name is really long.

I think that the easiest spelling would be [name]Mckinley[/name]. I really like this name it has some meaning for me but I also think it is cute. [name]Caylee[/name] and [name]Mckinley[/name] are cute togeather :slight_smile:

I also agree that spelling the name MACKINLEE…is asking for trouble. Your daughters names will still end the same and SOUND the way you want them too but just be more easily recognized and pronounced. Spell it the more common way by all means (my opinion of course). I have a [name]Mackenzie[/name] [name]Shay[/name], a combo which I love. It also goes well with [name]McKinley[/name]. My other daughter’s name is [name]Kylie[/name]…and I really liked the way [name]Kyleigh[/name] looked but knew that [name]Kylie[/name] was the more popular spelling and went with that…if that helps…Good [name]Luck[/name]! :0)

I really don’t get the pronunciation problems. With the popularity of [name]Mackenzie[/name], I’d think people would assume the correct pronunciation, but maybe not. I guess I’d spell it MacKinley (or MacKinlee) though, I like it much better with an A in [name]Mac[/name].

Are you wanting the “mic” sound, or the “mac” sound? If “mic”, I’d go with [name]McKinley[/name] or McKinlee.

I actually want it pronounced ma KIN lee

If you want the name pronounced as “ma KIN lee,” which is how the name is meant to be pronounced, why not spell the name the way it’s meant to be spelled? After all, proper spelling guarantees proper pronunciation.

I’m really not sure as to why people feel the need to change the authentic spellings of names, as names are words with meaning. I mean, if you were to change the spelling of words in the English language, everyone would mispronounce them, confuse each other, and fail their spelling tests. I’m not sure why names are exempt from proper spelling rules, but I find it baffling.

Should I spell the word “people” as “peepul,” because I think it’s more aesthetically pleasing? Everyone knows how “people” is pronounced, because we know it by sight, and it’s the proper spelling. This is case with [name]Mackenzie[/name], too. We see “[name]Mackenzie[/name],” and we know how to pronounce it.

Likewise, when people see [name]McKinley[/name], people know how to pronounce it, because it’s easy to recognize by sight and its proper spelling. When, however, it’s switched to Makinlee, Mackinlee, Mackinleigh, etc., it looks odd, and pronunciation is open to interpretaion, especially when the spelling changes pronunciation and syllabic emphasis.

Mc is pronounced “mic,” while “[name]Mac[/name]” is pronounced “[name]Mac[/name].” Because of this, when you spell a “mic” name with a “mac,” it throws everything off.

[name]Will[/name] some people pronounce it the way you want? Yes, but others won’t, and I can’t imagine giving a child a name that will create confusion.

Yes, you need to choose the name that works for you (and one that you love), but it’s also important to walk a mile in your child’s shoes, understanding that you will be setting her up for a lifetime of having to pronounce her name (and correct people’s spelling). (“No, it’s M-a-c-k-i-n-l-e-e, not M-c-K-i-n-l-e-y! No! It’s Ma-KIN-lee, not Mackin’-lee!”)

I would say go with [name]McKinley[/name] or McKinlee and you should be good!