Middle Name for Margaret, Southern and Feminine

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there,

Trying to choose between these heritage middle names for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]:

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Emilie[/name_f]

[name_f]Emilie[/name_f] is a family name (spelled that way) and is my husband’s top choice, but I prefer classic names and spellings—don’t want to fall into the realm of ‘Jaycyn’, etc.

I know [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] sounds old fashioned to some (we will nn [name_f]Margo[/name_f] or [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]) so we’re mindful of the middle name not also sounding too old-fashioned. We are Southern and
like the classic, sweet names.

[name_f]Sister[/name_f] is [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]. Thanks for
your help!

I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those three!

[name_f]Emilie[/name_f] is the classic spelling in [name_m]French[/name_m] and [name_m]German[/name_m], so if that’s the name that means the most to your family, then I wouldn’t hesitate to use it.

When your daughter is giving her name to people, she can always say “[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Emilie[/name_f], [name_f]Emilie[/name_f] spelled the [name_m]French[/name_m] way”. There are lots of classic pan-European names that have multiple traditional spellings used in English: [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f]/[name_f]Elisabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Kathryn[/name_f]/[name_f]Katharine[/name_f]/[name_f]Catharine[/name_f], [name_f]Anne[/name_f]/[name_f]Ann[/name_f], [name_m]Philip[/name_m]/[name_m]Phillip[/name_m] to list just a couple of others.

Thanks that was super helpful! Between the three names, which do you think is most feminine/Southern/classic?

I love [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. Had it on my list for a while until we switched to [name_f]Margot[/name_f]. Of the three names you listed, I like [name_f]Clara[/name_f] the most and think it sounds the most Southern, classic, and feminine. [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f] does not strike me as Southern or classic, but rather sophisticated and international. [name_f]Emilie[/name_f] is kind of the same for me, though it’s a bit more classic sounding, if more internationally spelled. When I hear Southern, the first name I think of is [name_f]Susannah[/name_f]. lol But I get you’re going for heritage names, which I like since they have meaning. So of the three, [name_f]Clara[/name_f] gets my vote. =]

Thanks! I agree on [name_f]Genevieve[/name_f]. So we are down to [name_f]Emilie[/name_f] or [name_f]Clara[/name_f]! Any thoughts on what sounds best with her sisters name?

I think [name_f]Emilie[/name_f] flows the best with [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. And it is not the most often used spelling, but I don’t think it’s tacky.

I think [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] sounds the most southern! [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Emilie[/name_f] is nice too & I like that it honors. You said you wanted something in the middle that doesn’t sound too old-fashioned? [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Emilie[/name_f] fits that bill. [name_f]Clara[/name_f] is in style right now but I do know a lot of people that are older who still see that name as “old fashioned”. [name_m]Just[/name_m] something to think about. With that being said I think, for you, I prefer [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Emilie[/name_f]. It honors, softens [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] up a bit, is classic sounding, & doesn’t sound too old fashioned. It doesn’t scream southern but works.

I honestly do not prefer one or the other with [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f].

I like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Emilie[/name_f] with [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] the best!

Otherwise, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Clara[/name_f] and [name_f]Rosemary[/name_f] [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] look a bit too visually similar.

Y’all are so helpful. Thank you.