Middle name ideas?

So my parents didn’t give me a middle name to give me an oppurtunity to pick my own - and I would really like a middle name. The problem? Our naming styles are very very different. (I prefer unsual/interesting names, and my parents like common ones.)
[name_f]My[/name_f] first name is [name_f]Amy[/name_f], and my last name is nothing unusual (starts with a c, two syllables, eight letters, is basically just two common words put together)
If I could choose any middle name, it would 100% be [name_u]Avery[/name_u] or [name_f]Ave[/name_f]. Except [name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_u]Avery[/name_u] does not work.
Any ideas of middle names I could do?

3 Likes

I love to hear people’s experiences of choosing themselves a middle name. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] named SJ strum gave herself the middle [name_u]Forest[/name_u] (possibly spelt Forrest?) if you felt like looking up how she chose hers. Like her, I don’t have a middle name but I have a hyphenated first, and like you, I’d really like a middle name!

I hear you that the flow of [name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_f]Ave[/name_f] or [name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_u]Avery[/name_u] is not what you want. I have a few thoughts: that naming is never a perfect thing and in the future if these names are still your favourites you might decide that it doesn’t matter that they don’t go together in a fantastic way. You can take your time. I also wondered if you’d be open to putting a first middle after [name_f]Amy[/name_f] and having [name_f]Ave[/name_f] or [name_u]Avery[/name_u] as a second middle? So, [name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] [name_u]Avery[/name_u] C__ for example. I don’t know if you are in a country where this would cause admin problems for you.
That could be a way to make [name_f]Amy[/name_f] and your favourites flow in a way you like. (Personally, I like [name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_f]Ave[/name_f] together.)

Some ideas:
[name_f]Aveline[/name_f]
[name_u]Alva[/name_u]
[name_f]Alvina[/name_f]
[name_f]Audra[/name_f]
[name_f]Audrina[/name_f]
[name_f]Allaire[/name_f]
[name_f]Alafair[/name_f]
[name_f]Vienna[/name_f]
[name_f]Verena[/name_f]
[name_f]Anais[/name_f]
[name_f]Anisa[/name_f]
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Alcina[/name_f]

1 Like

Two things first I wanted to clarify:

:round_pushpin: Not everyone needs a middle name. Actually in my country, half of the people or more do not have one and they do perfectly fine; where I live it is said that with more than a name it will be a burden because “the children will have a handache to sign their papers with all those names” XD, jokingly or not

:round_pushpin: Having one is not a bad idea for you though, seeing what you mean. I think that if you are an adult or even just a teen, you should choose your name based on what YOU like and not what your parents like. After all they did not give you a middle so YOU can choose.

Said this, what is your style? Favourite language for names? Vintage or modern, long or short? Feminine or neutral or even traditionally masc middles?

Amy Avery and Amy Ave do work in my opinion though. Avery is a very common name in English speaking world nowadays though so if you want a more particular name, I recommend something else.

Recommendations:

Astrid
Ronja
Paloma
Linnea
Clarisse / Clarice
Johanna
Bernadette
Clematis
Noor / Nour
Constance
Lavinia
Primrose
Fedora
Greta
Anouk
Eleanor

Olympia
Galena / Galene
Aurelia
Odessa
Galatea
Vittoria / Victoria
Margaret
Sonya / Sonja / Sonia
Tessa
Valya
Cornelia / Nelya
Angelica / Angelique
Serena / Serene
Elysia
Adelaide
Felicitas / Felicity
Isabeau
Malvina
Juliette
Eudora
Lucille
Fiammetta
Violaine / Violette
Iris / Irissa
Pauline
Lilou / Lylou
Annika / Anneke
Wen / Wenn
Leonie
Isolde / Isotta
Matilda / Mathilda
Poet / Poem / Poetry / Poetic
Flaminia
Niamh / Neve / Neva
Adaline / Adeline
Zadie
Elizabeth / Elisabeth
Forsynthia
Anaïs
Corinna
Wednesday
Ines
Scarlett
Ludovica / Ludovika
Felie
Harlow / Harlowe

Above names of all styles.

1 Like

Based on [name_u]Avery[/name_u], I’ll suggest:

[name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_u]Vivian[/name_u]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_f]Aniya[/name_f]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_m]Finnian[/name_m]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_m]Creedence[/name_m]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_u]Lazuli[/name_u]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_u]Vesper[/name_u]
[name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]

[name_f]My[/name_f] edit didn’t save, baby namer SJ Strum

Instead of [name_u]Avery[/name_u], why not the old English/French name [name_u]Averill[/name_u]? [name_f]Amy[/name_f] [name_u]Averill[/name_u] is unique in a good way and just flows off the tongue.

Bonus is the children’s author [name_f]Esther[/name_f] [name_u]Averill[/name_u], who wrote a number of chapter books about cats for the famous editor [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] Nordstrom, and was one of my grandmother’s best friends.

Thank you so much :heart:

Thank you <33

Thank you so much!

1 Like

Oooh that’s such a cool name! Fitting, too, as I’m an author / writer :00 (not sure if I can say author haha as I haven’t published anything yet)