Middle name indecision

I should probably wait until our ultrasound (in a week and a half) to find out if this is even a girl, but I find myself obsessing about which mn she’ll have if it is a girl. The first name is solidly [name]Hazel[/name], but I’m not sure on the middle. Dh has said he likes all three possibilities and I can choose. The last name is 2 syllables.

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]

[name]Alexandra[/name] and [name]Augusta[/name] are both family names. They are also both names that I like a lot regardless of family connection. The problem is that I like [name]Augusta[/name] more than [name]Alexandra[/name] (I would have used that for the first name if dh had agreed). But [name]Alexandra[/name] is a form of my mom’s name (neither of us wants to use her actually name, [name]Sandra[/name]) and [name]Augusta[/name] is after two uncles, one on my side and one on dh’s. So [name]Alexandra[/name] is the more logical choice since it’s from a closer relative. But I really like them both and this will be our last child.

Unfortunately using both mn’s makes for a monster name, 9 syllables and 21 letters. And that’s before you add the last name, which is only 2 syllables and 6 letters, but still. I’m afraid she’s going to run out of space whenever she tries to fill out forms. I don’t want to make things difficult for her just because I can’t make up my mind.

What are your opinions?

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]: I think this is very pretty, and like you said, it honors your mom. When I say it out loud, I do get a bit tripped up with the back-to-back el/al of [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name], but that may just be me. :slight_smile:

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]: I really love this! I love these vintage names paired together and the overall feel and flow. (Did I mention that I love [name]Hazel[/name]?) :slight_smile:

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]: I have nothing against long names, but I’m thinking that this may be a bit much. I don’t think that [name]Augusta[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name] flow well, but I appreciate and totally understand how you’re trying to work both names in there.

What about:

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augustine[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name]? I think the flow is better…

Have you thought about another name to honor [name]Sandra[/name], such as the French [name]Sandrine[/name]?

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Sandrine[/name] I think makes a lovely name! :slight_smile:

Between [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name], I think I’ll go with [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name], and if it’s an option for you, I really love [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Sandrine[/name] or [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augustine[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Instead of using [name]Sandra[/name], you can always use [name]Cassandra[/name].

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Cassandra[/name] [name]Augusta[/name].
But maybe [name]Augusta[/name] should be [name]August[/name]?

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]August[/name] [name]Cassandra[/name]
or
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Cassandra[/name] [name]August[/name]

Those are pretty names.
Good luck!

What do you think of [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alessandra[/name]?

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] is so pretty and flows so well - meaning aside, it would be the obvious choice. But the meaning of honoring your Mom might be more important to you. [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] is also pretty; it just doesn’t have the same feel and the flow is not at perfect.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with 2 middle names in this situation if that’s something you’re comfortable with, but agree that [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] is just too much all ways around.
[name]How[/name] about [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] Sand?

This may be getting too far away from your mum’s name, but here are some more variations on [name]Alexandra[/name]:

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Alandra[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Elena[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Ola[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Sacha[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]

Otherwise, here are some names beginning with San that could work:
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Sancia[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Sania[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Sanah[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Santina[/name] [name]Augusta[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] [name]Santanna[/name]

Of the original options, I like [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Augusta[/name] best if judging just looking at the names without knowing the background. I also liked some of the alternate suggestions, particularly [name]Sandrine[/name], if you’re thinking of two middles. I don’t know that [name]Augusta[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name] together would be my vote.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

We can’t use [name]Cassandra[/name], since I have a niece by that name. But some of the other ideas, especially [name]Sandrine[/name], are interesting.