Middle name to honor Gary?

My beloved uncle is very sick and honoring him in some way is something I want to consider if we have a boy.

I have always felt that if we had a boy first it would be DH’s family that we would honor with the middle name first. But I think we may reconsider that in light of what is going on.

So… My question is, do any of my top boy names work with [name]Gary[/name] or [name]Garreth[/name] in the middle?

[name]Charles[/name] nn “[name]Charlie[/name]”
[name]Everett[/name] nn “Rett”
[name]Lucas[/name] nn [name]Luke[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]

I’m so sorry to hear about your uncle, [name]Erin[/name]. :frowning:

To honor [name]Gary[/name], there’s also [name]Garrison[/name] and [name]Garrett[/name], or you could simply use a G name, like [name]George[/name], [name]Gideon[/name], or [name]Grant[/name].

[name]Charles[/name] nn “[name]Charlie[/name]”: [name]Charles[/name] [name]Garrison[/name], [name]Charles[/name] [name]Garrett[/name], [name]Charles[/name] [name]Gareth[/name] (which kind of sounds like [name]Garrett[/name], but with a lisp)

[name]Everett[/name] nn “Rett”: [name]Everett[/name] [name]Garrison[/name] works…

[name]Lucas[/name] nn [name]Luke[/name]: I’m not liking [name]Lucas[/name] with a hard “g” sound in the middle, due to the hard “k” sound in [name]Lucas[/name]…

[name]Rowan[/name]: I think [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Gareth[/name] or [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Garrett[/name] could work…

I’m so sorry…

I wanted to add that you could simply flip around the a and r in [name]Gary[/name] to come up with [name]Gray[/name].

I think [name]Charles[/name] [name]Gray[/name], [name]Everett[/name] [name]Gray[/name], and [name]Rowan[/name] [name]Gray[/name] sound great!

Thanks so much [name]Jill[/name]. I love the [name]Garrison[/name] and [name]Gray[/name] ideas!

We will see how he is doing when we get closer and I will probably leave it up to DH in the end as we had agreed it was his family first if its a boy.

So sorry to hear about your uncle, erin. I don’t have anything to add to [name]Jill[/name]'s great ideas (love the [name]Gray[/name] idea especially) but just wanted to say I think it’s great that you’re thinking of honoring your him. Such a gesture can be very healing for the whole family.

This really touches a personal spot for me, because my brother [name]Gary[/name] died a few years ago. We had already named our children, but I was really glad we’d honored my brother by giving our son his name as a middle name:

Our son is named [name]Evan[/name] [name]Garrett[/name]

(Disclaimer: When we named him [name]Evan[/name] 22 years ago it was very uncommon. Six months later [name]Bruce[/name] Springsteen name his son [name]Evan[/name] and since then it’s been way more popular.)

my dh’s name is gary and i flipped the a and r around for our oldest son 15 and his name is cameron gray

[name]Don[/name]'t name him [name]Luke[/name] [name]Gareth[/name] - everyone will think his name is [name]Lou[/name] [name]Gehrig[/name]. The K-to-G link doesn’t work at all.

haha, you’re so right!

I think if we went with a [name]Gary[/name]-honoring mn for this one it would be one of these:
[name]Charles[/name] [name]Garrison[/name]
[name]Charles[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] [name]Garrison[/name]
[name]Everett[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Lucas[/name] [name]Gray[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name] [name]Gray[/name]

I think these are great, [name]Erin[/name]! I especially love [name]Everett[/name] [name]Gray[/name], [name]Charles[/name] [name]Gray[/name], and [name]Charles[/name] [name]Garrison[/name], but am secretly voting for [name]Everett[/name] [name]Gray[/name]. I think it’s awesome! :slight_smile:

I love [name]Everett[/name] [name]Gray[/name]. I had [name]Everett[/name] on my top list of boy names, but am having a girl. My best friend lost her father, [name]Gary[/name], before he daughter was born. She named her daughter [name]Madeline[/name] [name]Gray[/name] and everyone has loved it. Best of luck~